My pup is sick and not sure what lies ahead

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by carbz, May 6, 2016.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Long story short my pup is 16.5 years old which is pretty remarkable. She was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur. She started coughing out of nowhere so after a few days I brought her in. The doc gave me two different meds which he said she will need to likely stay on. Big problem was she not only hated to take them but it maid her urinate constantly. Shorty after she basically stopped eating so the Doc told us to stop the meds and see if she regained appetite. The bizarre thing is she completely stopped coughing so we stopped the meds completely. We had been force feeding her for a few days just to get some nourishment into her system. She fought hard but she swallowed it with no problem. She started eating little bits and pieces here and there but still almost nothing. She seems like she wants to eat but for some reason she just doesn't. The last two days she has been throwing up vile and crapping some nasty diarrhea along with eating grass. She also has bad gums and teeth which is probably part of the problem. Her disposition is still alive and kicking and she is not showing any signs of suffering or looking like she's had enough. I will be taking her in tomorrow for further evaluation but and not sure what lies ahead? I will be devastated if I have to put her down. Some encouragement would be helpful.

Jamalot likes this.
  2. Seakayak

Seakayak Member

I hope your dog bounces back. 16 years is pretty old, but she is lucky to be with someone who cares! I wish you both good luck.

kristian likes this.
  3. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Diagnostic tests will tell the story, but ... at 16.5 y/o, it's time to look at things from the proper perspective.

While inappetance is a classic sign something is wrong, the dogs disposition is another. Generally i would not put a dog down until their quality of life is clearly poor and terminal.

Just went thru that earlier this year with a 6.5 y/o dog.

Mojo sent

4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Over the years, I've read a lot of articles and threads like this. Every vet I've spoken to or have read the comments of have always said the same basic truth.

Dogs are VERY good at masking symptoms and pain. If/when they display ANY, whatever they have is REALLY affecting them to you need to bring them to the vet ASAP!

Hope she pulls through! I know how tough it is.

Jamalot likes this.
  5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Vet probably gave her Lasix to make her urinate..to get rid of excess fluid ..coughing could indicate fluid buildup around the heart and lungs...not trying to alarm you, but if she was diagnosed with a murmer she could have other issues with the heart like Congestive Heart Failure..
    like Jamalot said...diagnostic tests will be able to tell...
    Sorry about your pup..she has lived a good old age.
    Good luck.
    Mojo sent to you and your girl.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    kristian likes this.
  6. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

I'm not a Vet but I would guess Endocarditis. Bacteria from the tooth/gum infections migrated to the Mitral Valve. Happens to people all the time and the only solution is Mitral Valve Replacement. Meds won't fix a Heart Murmur. Diuretics (Probably what the vet put your pet on) can relieve symptoms due to Heart failure but in no way will fix it. Best wishes to you/family/ and pet, but from your description this leaves a poor prognosis IMO.
    The Bacteria can eat away at the Valve until it stays basically "Wide Open" giving a person no Cardiac output to perfuse vital organs. Worse case scenarios if that is what your Pet is going through is vegetative matter broken down by the bacteria can be transported through the Cerebral arteries to the Brain where this can and often will cause Strokes.
    With little to no cardiac output due to an "Open Valve" blood isn't fed to some vital organs-- ie the gut-- so food drops down but with the lack of blood flow your pet cannot digest the food so up it comes.

Rimbaud likes this.
  7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The tests they ran about two months back showed nothing serious other then the murmur. I just noticed some blood in her stool as well. She's going to the vet tomorrow.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Dogs and Cats have a good sense of their time here.
    I had a cat that lived to be an extraordinary 22 years old.
    She was a very happy cat, content and loved us as much
    as we loved her - until she turned 22. In the following three months
    we knew it was time - she did too.

16 years is a very long life for a Dog. She may not be eating
    even when she appears like she wants to because she knows
    it's time to move on. That she still appears happy, alive and
    kicking is her way of saying life's been good.

Perhaps not encouraging - but more advice that you'll need
    to move to acceptance. I'm just being honest - and truthfully
    advice with my cat didn't help me at all! It's just the way life
    is.

kristian likes this.
  9. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I am in tears and trying to prepare myself for the end.

Jamalot likes this.
  10. HerrRentz

HerrRentz Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. Prayers for your dog.

11. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I wish you and your dog well, carbz. Hang in there.

12. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

i feel ya. If you get a reprieve, make it count for you and the old girl.

13. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

carbz..went through this last year with my best buddy, Myles a golden retriever, he lived to be 15+...he was around for an extra 9 months after being diagnosed with Congestive Heart failure by the vet prescribing him Vetmedin
    .he was pretty frisky and bounced back, got sick and slow all at once and just laid down and went peacefully at home.
    again, best of luck.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I feel for you. My little Carrie is 16 years old and she's not doing too well. But we had a great time with her and she will always be loved.

15. Icedstevo

Icedstevo Member

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like she is lucky to have you doing everything you can.

We went through something really similar with our 17 year old kitty recently. It was very hard for us, but we had her put down because she was having trouble breathing. It wasn't fair for her to go on in agony.

It's a double edged sword; you don't want them to suffer, but you also don't want to cut their life short if they have any quality life left to live.

I hope you and your girl get some more time together.

Love sent:(

16. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to hear of your pup's illness. I have been through this and it is very hard. If you listen, your dog will tell you when it is time.

Take care.

17. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I feel your pain, my friend. We just had to put down our old coonhound after 15 years. She's gone to a better place.

18. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

RIP my sweet little pup!

19. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

I'm so sorry, carbz. The toughest things I've ever had to do involved my beloved pets. They really are genuine family members I loved dearly.

Hang in there.

20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Man, I am sorry.

16+ years is a good run. When you are ready, there will be another one waiting to bring joy into your life who needs a good home.

Last edited: May 7, 2016