My quest for a small combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stubish, Sep 17, 2006.

1. stubish

stubish Member

Hi all,
    Well, the EL84 list is going, but it's gotten out of hand and is just making my decision making progress harder. Can you suggest some amps for me? I'll give you some ammunition

I'm looking for something budget minded (as I work as a volounteer for a LIVING if you can figure that out...). Hopefully under $500USD

Here's the requirements

* Budget of up to $500
    * Combo (1x12 preferably)
    * tube gain and power stages
    * needs a serial effects loop or a paralell that can be set to 100% wet.
    * Not more than 50 watts. I'd like an open sound at bedroom to small club levels.
    * a compensated out would be nice but not mandatory.
    * I seem to be a bit partial to EL84's for the power stage...

So I've played and liked Both the traynor blue series. I can't seem to get a handle on the Vox CCX's in the shop at least. A bit hard to dial something I like at levels that don't send myself and the shop monkey's into aural induced seizures. I've also seem to be a bit partial to the sound of a vibrolux on breakup if that makes any sense. Ohh, the laneys I've heard are also ok.

So..... I'm thinking I've gotta try and get my hands on a classic 30 to try (and take into consideration it's modding potential). What else should I be looking at?

I'm in Vancouver, so if anybody knows where to go in Van to try the amps they are recomending, that would also be good.

I'll await your collective wisdom.

Cheers!
    Stu

2. stubish

stubish Member

So I guess I'm on the right track already then?

3. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

Try a Carvin vintage 16 .It doesn't have a effects loop but for $400 you can't get a better amp.

4. Brien

Brien Member

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Peavey Classic 30.

6. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

7. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

+1 Carvin Vintage 16

8. onemind

onemind Member

I would say find a Mesa Subway Rocket used if you can, though they are 1x12 they're versatile and meet most of your requirements

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I haven't tried one, but what about one of those blue Traynors everyone seems to like? Seems like a great amp for the dough...

10. Miles

Miles Member

+3 Peavey Classic 30. Reliable, affordable, sweet sounding, you are on the right track.:RoCkIn

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

That's exactly what I'd recommend, although same as you haven't tried one! They're available in CAnada, the soundclips sound great, guys on the web with chops and more expensive amps like them, they have lots of features,etc... Why not?

Eric

12. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

+3 on the carvin vintage 16 but if you must have a loop, mesa subway blues.

13. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

Gibson Goldtone GA15RV :)

14. TS808

TS808 Member

Used Hughes and Kettner Edition 112 20th Anniversary (20 watts). Has an effects loop and a speaker out.

15. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Classic 30 (X4) or MESA subway rocket reverb both amps fit your posted needs.

16. david henman

david henman Member

...the traynor ycv40wr will not disappoint. i've had mine for roughly five years, and still can't find anything to complain about.

the peavey classic 30 would make for a great a/b comparison, i think.

let us know what you decide.

-dh

17. SebiX

SebiX Member

Do you have Brunetti over there?? If so, check the Maranello amp. www.brunetti.it

18. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've owned literally hundreds of amps in my career, and am currently using the Traynor YCV15 Blue (also owned the YCV40, 20WR, 50 Blue). Not boutique, but I'm getting great tones with all my guitars (singles, 90s, hums; loves em all). Also has every feature you could possibly ask for. The shared EQ was my only concern at the outset, but if you EQ for the lead channel, then use the bright switch on the clean channel to makeup for the top you dialed out of the lead everything balances nicely. Takes pedals very well, but I admit I like the lead channel so much on its own (esp. with the boost on) I'm not using my Xotic RC and BB, or my Diamond comp. It is also one loud little muther! I played a really soft hall a few weeks back with about 80 people, and still had to dial back the masters on both channels (unmiked). What's funny is that it weighs a pound more than the 50 Blue, is an inch deeper, and sounds as loud, but way more complex and 3D. I bought it primarily to reduce our stage volume in my country project (other guitarist is now using a DRRI), but had an opportunity to use it outside with the matching extension cab (miked) with my classic rock band, and it surprised me by almost keeping up with the other guitarists' Mesa F-50 (with V30 extension cab). This is an amp that likes to be run HOT! Haven't gotten into tube-swapping yet, but want to try some JJ EL84s, and maybe some different pre tubes to further tweak it. So far my only downside is that it's so loud I'd need an attenuator for bedroom play. The masters, like on most amps I've tried, have a negative effect on the Tone. Power scaling??...
    I've avoided posting on this amp until I got some more mileage on it, but so far it has exceeded every expectation. Seven hundred Canadian bucks with Eminence Governor, Accutronics reverb, two footswitchable channels with footswitchable boost, XLR out (kinda fizzy thru headphones) and Yorkville Sound's famous 2-year transferable "even if you break it" warranty. Just buy it and smile!-Eric.

19. stubish

stubish Member

Hey guys,
    I played the traynor blue's today (both the 15 and the 50). I actaully liked the 50 better.

Long and Mcquade don't have Peaveys. The rest of the stuff was either out of the price range or not interesting to me. (actaully $720CAD before tax is also a little pricey....)

So i'm going to play the valve king and the classic 30 combo (when the ONLY shop in vancouver that stocks peavey gets one....)

I'll let you all know..

any more suggestions would be good.

Stu

20. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

What about one of those Crate Palomino's I've heard good things about?