My RAT HATES other ODs.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by traynor_garnet, Jul 1, 2008.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I love my Vintage Reissue RAT (early 90s) but it does not play well with other ods. For example, I want to use the RAT as a great boost/fuzzy type leads but when I place it in front of my Small Fry or TIM it loses all its top end. In fact, when placed before the Small Fry, if both pedals are on the RAT's filter knob does nothing! I can sweep from one end of the dial to the other with no audible difference. Turn the Small Fry off, and the RAT's filter knob works perfectly.

Anyone else noticed this? Should RATs run after other ODs?

TG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Rat should run AFTER OD's.

IT dosen't sound good before.

It works especially well with clean boosts or low gain OD's.

Put it after TIM and tune to taste. I think you'll like it. It just works better when the input signal is not super distorted.

3. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I'm confused. Your first and last sentences seems contradictory.

TG

4. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I like the rat in front of my timmy. Interesting. I haven't had any problems with the filter knob not doing anything. I have no clue on this one. :(

5. HHB

HHB Member

I've had good luck running a Maxon OD808 into a RAT

6. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Isn't the rat a great stand-alone pedal anyway? I can't see stacking it except perhaps with a boost in front/after? Clean boosts should work with it yeah?

RC
    Micro Amp
    etc.

7. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Just reversed the order of the Small Fry and RAT. With the RAT after the Small Fry the Filter knob works perfectly and the pedals stack much better. It's quite shocking how much difference the order makes. It's like night and day.

The RAT is indeed a great stand alone pedal, but for low volume playing I like using the Small Fry as a rhythm od (very underated pedal for this sound) and stomp on the RAT to kick things up for solos etc.

All of this may become moot next week when my Ultimate Attenuator arrives :AOK

TG

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I think, generally, with any OD pedal in front of another, that the first one should be set to relatively low gain for best results.

Greg

9. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

My favorite combo is actually a RAt into an OCD. I have them both set for low gain, but the rat has slightly more gain and volume than the OCD. They both sound great alone or together.

10. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

My small box Rat sounds much better after other ODs. I mainly use it for a crunch rhythm though. Works great after my SD Pickup Booster and Zendrive.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Is yours stock? Maybe have it modded, my Beavis FKR and Keeley RAT both work great with other pedals...