1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

My "Road Worn" Story

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bikedude, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Tried out the RW tele in white at GC today. Been researching for weeks and have wanted this guitar pretty badly. So I play the guitar for about 20 min. Like the vibe, and it sounds pretty good thru the HRD 2X12 I was playing it thru. Looked for a salesman dude to purchase. None available, so I left the RW sitting plugged in by the amp. So I grab an American Standard Tele sitting right next to the amp. Sounds fabulous and plays like a very well put together instrument, and actually blows the RW out of the water in playability, but they sound similar. So I figure what the hell, and grab a 52RI and game over. The 52RI plays like buttah, and for $400. more than the RW, I think I'll wait for the RI. Really no contest here, as others have said, the RW's are nice, but IMO for $949, not in the ballpark for either the Am. Stand Tele comming in at $999, or the RI at around $1349. I may be looking at some of the "thin skin" nitros/modern switching RI's soon. So what I've learned is, I think the RW's are a little steep in price for the playability, and for $50 or about $400 more you can get a much better instrument. So as others have said, yes I now believe the mexican made RW's are too much $$.

2. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

LMAO!! There aint even no comparison from a RW to a 52 RI! Like you said, for $400 more you can get one hell of a guitar. Actually, if your looking at GC, you really can talk them down. I was able to get my 52RI for $1100 out the door. You can get 52RI on Ebay for $1000 if you look. I see them all the time for that price.

3. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

4. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

If you get along with the neck finish, the 52RI is a great guitar. I prefer satin, meself.

5. Bikedude

Your're right about that. What's even more staggering is the quality gap between the RW and the Am St Tele. For a MRRP of $50 more than the RW the Worn feels like a POS.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I think what you really learned are that Fenders are each unique instruments and should be evaluated individually. Line up 10 Road Worns, 10 American Standards, and 10 52 Reissues and the 10 52RI will not consistently be the best 10 guitars. If you found one that you considered to be the best, then buy THAT ONE NOW. Don't assume that another one you get off eBay or somewhere else will be just as good.

7. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

plus, arent the RWs MIM? these tend to be sloppier from my experience

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I agree. I played on a couple of RWs, and for the same money the Am Sts are vastly superior guitars. ...not even taking into account that the cookie-cutter relicing doesen't even come close to convincing.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

POTD.

Post of the day : )

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I think with the price increase the 52RI is going up to the neighborhood of 1800 street price. So there is going to be a mach larger price gap. The Am Standards are going up to $1400 I think as well.

11. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Have you done this? Have empirical proof? I think there's a reason the standards and AVRIs are more money.

12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Supporting Member

:agree

13. Bikedude

In theory you may be correct, but this is a highly unprobable evaluation "strategery" for most of us. Show me the shop where I can line up 10 Am Sts, 10 RI's, and 10 RW's to try in one sitting. It aint happenin in Cleveland, Ohio dood!

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It's funny because I just talked to my buddy a few minutes ago, he's in Fla, and is super excited about the guitar he just got. Went down to GC and came home with a 60's RW. Said it blew everything else away. He'd always crack on me for digging relics. But he says this guitar outplayed everything in the shop, sounds so good, etc.

He's had A custom shop classic, several Am. Std.s and he's a great player.

Every guitar is made of wood and that's where most of the tone comes from or doesn't. Just going by specs on paper, I would take a RW over any Am. Std, or USA RI (can't stand the thick neck finish).

But that's because I prefer the features or the RW. If I tried 10 RW's and they all sucked, I still might find #11 that smoked.

15. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely true. One out of ten is usually a good one from my experience.
    Rene

16. Bikedude

In my earlier post about my RW experience, in all fairness to FMIC, I forgot to mention that the RW I tried was in serious need of a set-up, but still compared to the 52 and AM std, no contest

17. Bikedude

Pulled the trig. on a Thin Skin AVRI 52/CS singles, modern wiring. 9.5 radius, 6105 frets, 7.4lbs. Comming next week. None like this in Cleveland, Ohio.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

NO, I think Eric is right; you will find an Am Std that is nicer than an AV, I've seen it often enough; And I've seen lagging Am Stds (but more Am Series) for which I bet there is a better RW out there.

But the conclusions to draw from this, I respectfully submit, are different. Choose the nicest 3-5 of those 10 AVs, play the heck out of them, and amongst the best ones, see if there's a blowout deal available. 2 basically identical guitars can scan $ 650 different, one from another, if your clerk knows which buttons to push or who to talk to.

The fact that a subpar AV remains on the wall, that you didn't buy, isn't something to give much weight to.

19. spacebarmusic

spacebarmusic Member

This is soooooooooo true.
    I just bought a road worn because it felt like one of the most amazing strat's I have ever played. It's nice and light but not too light, has an amazingly lively body nice tight neck pocket, and after a Plek job it will be even better although it almost doesn't need one I'm just being anal. I routinely go into guitar stores and play the all the Fender strats and they NEVER feel or sound like this one. I don't even give a crap about relic stuff but I knew this guitar was something special and had to go home with me. And just as a point of reference I bought a Tyler 6 months ago and I'm a recording engineer so I get to play and hear all kinds of great guitars all the time. Where these guitars are made sometimes has little to do with what they are worth.... if your just interested in a great sounding and playing guitar that your not going to sell and just play the hell out of it. but.... I played the other road worns in the store and none of was anything close to the one I got:banana

20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Everyone is looking for something different in a guitar.

My Roadworn is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. What's more important is that it is the PERFECT guitar for me.

You couldn't GIVE me an American Standard. It's not my thing.