My Ronin Badmoon (New Clip, page 8)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by suckamc, Feb 23, 2015.

1. suckamc

suckamc Member

It's as if the Amish were in charge of the Robocop program.

Somehow I figured out how to buy one of these things. The thing is, I couldn't afford a Badmoon. Yet, ever since I played it, I HAD to have one. So I sold some stuff. You know...stuff. Gear. Services. Blood. Other...services. It's that rarest of events in a musician's life: you play something you can't have, but it's so transcendent that it's transformative. You HAVE to have it. And as the saying goes, "necessity is the mother of selling your other gear to buy a Ronin."

Nothing sounds like that Badmoon I played, so I made it happen. I'm paraphrasing from an article in a legit journalism rag, here, but "if you ever play a vintage Martin [or Ronin Badmoon, in the present case], the sound will haunt you forever. You'll empty your savings account and your kids' college funds to buy one. But you'll be happy." I've only had that experience with two builders: playing a Lentz scratched my itch for everything Leo ever thought up. It was the perfection of any design idea Leo had that a 50's or 60's mass-production line struggled (or got lucky) to even approximate. Ronins (and damn sure the Badmoon) are like the stuff Leo never even imagined. They're classic designs with DEEP tonal nuance from an era when they never actually existed. Nietzsche once said that Napoleon was the most "late-born man who ever existed" (or something like that; I'm paraphrasing again. It was from the "Geneology of Morals", I think). He was a world-conqueror existing LONG after the era of such people. That's the Badmoon. It's kinda short. It probably talks funny and smells funny. It ate the pig...the ziggy piggy ziggy piggy ziggy piggy... I forgot what I was talking about. How about some pics?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine and others':
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. suckamc

suckamc Member

And I may have been a bit tipsy just now, but I'll fight you right now. I don't care who your big brother is.

3. Qmax

Qmax Member

Congrats man! And penacillin works wonders, you know, if you get a rash or something from those "services"

4. beorn

beorn Member

Righteous posts like this make TGP a fun place.

5. Baemer

Baemer Supporting Member

Most excellent and conveniently detachable!

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Most excellent - however I must admit to being a tad disappointed that they are using modern tools like chisel and hand plane.

I would have thought they would have coated the guitar in badger's blood and had a lion lick it to rasp off the wood they needed....

:D

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

While I dig your old school sensibilities, it's simply not done like that any longer, since the chisel was invented a couple years ago.

8. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Heck, I was seriously talking to the guys at Ronin about buying the prototype Bad Moon, based purely on the design concept, electronics, some early photos, as well as all the good things I'd heard about Ronin from folks here. She was the guitar that enchanted you. Some things changed for me rather abruptly about that time, and I realized it would have been a very irresponsible purchase at the time, and I had to back out. I know I did the right thing, but the more I hear about that guitar, the more I regret it. And I've yet to play a Ronin.

I will have one some day, and she will have a Bigsby!

Congratulations! I am envious.

Play her in good health!

Peace.

9. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Nice! Good to see you Lentz yourself to another builder. :)

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Well done sir.

However, I am sure he will find his way back, as most Lentz customers do....

11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Thanks Teleplayer, can I assume that you own a Lentz?

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I dig the schnoz shots on the top left. Not that I'm nosey.

13. suckamc

suckamc Member

Lol I never LEFT. I never WILL. My Lentz T hunts and kills other teles for sport! I also have a...unique creation from Scott. STELLAR.

And Cyberferret FTW.

14. meanmud

meanmud Member

I was just watching your Badmoon vid last night, I agree - you need one!

15. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I was talking to John and we started talking about the Badmoon and then I watched your video with the prototype for the millionth time and couldn't resist your evil influence and, well ... I'm thinking tortoise binding and wrap around bridge.

Edit: sent off the deposit and it feels really good to make it official. I urge others to do the same as long as I get my build first.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  16. suckamc

suckamc Member

That's what mine will have!

17. _jmp

_jmp Member

18. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I look forward to great videos from suckamc's new arm.

19. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Not to get off track here, but what's the story w the unique Lentz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Wow Mark -

I just watched the Ronin demo video. That's a truly unique and amazing sound guitar - way usable tones, doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard.

Damn it, now I want one. Yer 'killin me. Plus, the playing was beautiful and thoughtful - really shows what the guitar is about.

I too had a Melody Maker experience over NAMM weekend. LeonC has a couple older ones - '60, '61, that have been modded w/ humbuckers - they sound incredible, sorta like a Gibby version of a mahogany Tele with tons of chime but more mids than a Tele.

This Ronin guitar sounds 'freakin amazing. As do you.

Thanks, Dana O.