My Schroeder...

flicker180

so, fortune has smiled upon me and i got the funds for a Schroeder...

this thread will chronicle its inception, construction, and delivery.

so, let's start with the top:

check out that flame...oh, and this'll be a Double Cut, not a jumbo. :)

ta,

dave

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Sweet, I met Jason on Sunday and he brought out one of his guitars. Congratulations!

flicker180

lol!

here's the body choices, guys...feedback is appreciated.

swirly grain

straight grain

i personally like the straight grain board....the body and neck will come from the same board, soooo, it's a little more imperative to get a good piece of wood.

so, whatcha think?

dave

Quinny

I'd personally ask Jason which one he thinks will likely sound 'best' and go with that one. Based on looks alone though, I'd go with the straight.

Q.

flicker180

Originally posted by Quinny
I'd personally ask Jason which one he thinks will likely sound 'best' and go with that one. Based on looks alone though, I'd go with the straight.

Q.
yeah, he stated that tonally they'd sound the same, so...it's a look thing.

one thing that i loved about my Anderson Cobra was the straight grain of the neck and body...just looked so damn classy.

dave

vangit

Silver Supporting Member
Great top Dave. I have a ton of confidence in Jason. I would tell him every spec you want including top color, pick-up color inlays etc. If there is no real tonal difference in the neck wood, I would trust Jason on the cosmetic choice.

Schroeder

Just to clarify, we were speaking about the body (not the neck) with regard to grain orientation. The neck will be straight-grained, quarter-sawn mahogany. It just so happens that the neck blanks I have at the moment were cut from the same tree as the straight-grained body blank pictured above. Hope that all makes sense. :)

Jason

PS - As an aside, the neck of my main guitar that I built 10 years ago was made from a flat-sawn piece of mahogany (that was all I could get at teh time) and it is still straight as ever and sounds killer. But the general concensus is that quartered mahogany yields a stiffer and more stable neck.

flicker180

Originally posted by Schroeder
Just to clarify, we were speaking about the body (not the neck) with regard to grain orientation. The neck will be straight-grained, quarter-sawn mahogany. It just so happens that the neck blanks I have at the moment were cut from the same tree as the straight-grained body blank pictured above. Hope that all makes sense. :)

Jason

PS - As an aside, the neck of my main guitar that I built 10 years ago was made from a flat-sawn piece of mahogany (that was all I could get at teh time) and it is still straight as ever and sounds killer. But the general concensus is that quartered mahogany yields a stiffer and more stable neck.
and this is why i love Jason. :)

dave

A

amstaf

Just to let everyone know, Schroeder does top notch work. I played 2 of his guitars and they were awesome. His repair work is great also. Good going Jason.

KHK

Gold Supporting Member
I like the looks of the top piece (swirly grain). I think it will look great when finished.

flicker180

Originally posted by KHK
I like the looks of the top piece (swirly grain). I think it will look great when finished.
yeah, this is going to be a really cool ME looking blue, methinks.

dave

flicker180

been a LONG time, but....finally getting ready to receive the guitars.

Jason is AMAZING.

here are some build pics:

dry fit

body and neck

neck fit

"Maddie Blue" (it'll be gloss when it's done)

kovachian

Quite the waiting time nowadays huh? I went nuts waiting for a Carvin and that was only a couple months!

guitarnyc

yes Dave that blue is so beautiful...just came across this thread and can't believe I didn't respond to it back then ! Bet you can't wait to get your hands on this monster !

Trending Topics