My Search For Louis Electric , Fender 57 Lp Tweed Twin, J B Hp Twin or BASSMAN.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I need a killer sounding tweed amp. Looking into the Louis Electric KR and Twinolux, and the Fender low power twin. Also, anyone have a JB high power one??

2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I have Fender's LPTT and Deluxe.

Zeon45, Tag and rhinocaster like this.
  3. Tag

Yea!! I played a tweed twin and loved it.....but, they had my 64 twin reverb sitting right next to it at Dtown guitars. I ABd, and left with the twin reverb. BUT, I did not have a reverb into the tweed, which makes a HUGE difference. Sooo...how happy are you with the twin?? Strong points? Weak points? I mainly want it for lower volume, warm, non ice pick cleans!

pbmw, e???, Miles Long and 1 other person like this.
  4. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have the LPTT and really like it. Like most modern production Fenders, they can benefit from warming up the bias. My other tweeds are a Victoria 45410 (Bassman), a Magic 5e3, and a Clark 5f4. The Fender holds up well among these amps by comparison.

eigentone and Tag like this.
  5. Tag

How does it sound at lower volumes? I remember it being tight in the bottom, but having a great feel, and absolutely no ice pick or harsh highs. Not a bright amp at all, which goes against what others report. I used the normal, not bright channel.

6. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I demoed the tweed twin against the tweed bassman when the twin first came out, went home with the bassman.

Had a deluxe, thought it was just ok
    Have a champ, ehhhh

Also have a 57 custom pro tweed, reissue with the 15 inch speaker
    This could now be one of my favorite amps,
    Even cabling out to a 12 inch speaker sounds fantastic.

7. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I have a ‘57 tweed twin reissue and the Bonamassa Twin.

Similar yet different :)

The Bonamassa is expectedly louder, firmer, wider eq, more headroom...

The ‘57 Twin is a bit narrower in bandwidth, breaks up more easily, and a little warmer to my ears.

Of course, different speakers in both probably play a role too.

8. Tag

The bassmans are great amps, but do not stack up against the originals. I had 2 of them, original and LTD. Funny, my first visit to Ultrasound in NY was to buy a Victoria bassman. I had the Fender, and everyone on line was telling what a POS it was, and the Victoria killed it. I dragged my bassman into NYC, and all the way to Ultrasound. Not fun. Especially when I got there and they already had one in stock. :eek: And the Victoria, and a THD, and a Kendrick. So I A/Bd them with every guitar you can think of.........and I liked the Fender a lot more, but the Bruno tweedy pie 35 was easily the best of all. :dunno Thats how I ended up with my first Bruno Cowtipper. I liked that more than all of them. But back to the Bassman...as good as it sounds, side by side with my buddies 59 original, its lights out.
    That is one of the only vintage amps I have heard that is unequaled. Amazing amps for anything from a whisper to cranked way up.
    Maybe the finest amp I have ever played.

LordByron, The_Whale and PurpleJesus like this.
  9. Tag

Ok.....if you had to choose one for home, lower volume playing?? My Dumble is 100 watts, and my Fender twin reverb is 80 i think, but they both eat lower powerd amps up even at the lowest volumes, so I am not a low power=better low volume tone guy! I want the better sounding amp!!
    :D

ElectricRodeo1 and splatt like this.
  10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

You ever tried the Fender VibroKing Tag? Mine didn't have a lot of clean headroom for a 60 watt amp but it had an interesting tone that I never found elsewhere...but it was heavy at 70lbs..

Then, with some lower back problems, I went to the '59 Bassman RI and liked it better than the later LTD version...and I gigged that amp for a few years with no real complaints. Never played an original real 1959 Bassman though.

Then, I went to the Komet 60 (with 6L6's) to finish out my gigging days and that was the best sounding amp, with a Strat, I ever played. I know you don't care for the K60 but that was the ultimate tone for me.

Never tried any of the tweed twins as my ears seems to prefer 10" speakers over 12's...so I never considered the tweed twins. Might be a fun amp though if it had vibrato in it...there's something I like about a swampy, hairy guitar sound with a little vibrato dialed in.

Good luck in the chase;)!

eigentone and Tag like this.
  11. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I own both, and as @ufguy73 pointed out, different speakers, HP has more headroom, I love both, the smaller one has a beautiful vibe and feel at lower volumes, the HP one just kicks ass loud but sounds great. The HP is darn heavy compared to the LP. I own two Bassmans, both moded and love them. It’s a matter of taste on which of the three to pick. The Bassman needs to be moded imo to get you the goods. The twins are fine stock.

12. Tag

I think this answers it! Now its down to the Louis Electrics KR, Twinolux, or Fender low power twin! Need a break from blackface right now. Louis electrics is only 25 minutes from my house. I wonder if he lets you go there and try them out??

DiPa likes this.
  13. DiPa

When I purchased my Deltone, I could not even get a minute with him, he has a sales dude that does the transaction and communication back and forth, you should ask if you can visit his shop, but I was told that he is super busy and prefers to let the sales guy do the talking.
    All 3 great amps, it will come down to a matter of taste.

Tag likes this.
  14. Tag

Does your deltone hang even with the best fenders you have? I was knocked out by a KR I played but that was years ago. The clips sound great, as do the clips of his twinoluxes.

15. DiPa

Deltone is a good/great boutique black face amp, love the middle control knob, pre CBS vibe, but i would let it go before my vintage black face fender amps.

silver surfer and Tag like this.
  16. Tag

Hmmmm....not as good as I want. I can grab a Bruno that walks on vintage Fenders. I have my 64 twin, srri and drri. Bruno is Just bigger $$$
    Hmmmm...

DiPa likes this.
  17. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah you have the BF amps covered there. I have a great limited edition DRRI. It’s just a great sounding amp but like anything we need to have options. The Tweeds are so different yet unmistakably Fender. I played a 59 Bassman for about a minute a few months ago. It looked like it came from a dumpster. Tweed was all frayed and dirty. Hit a couple big chords with it turned up and man there are no words. Wow.

Anyway I too will get a good tweed amp when time is right. Right now it’s the Brown Deluxe clone and the DRRI for Fender tone. The Brown is a whole different animal. The cleans are way more tweed and the overdrive is way more like a Marshall. So it’s cool having both amps. Good luck in your search!

Tag likes this.
  18. DiPa

I need to try a Bruno one of these days...

19. Tag

I thought you had a Cowtipper 45?

20. DiPa

Nah, am really new to Brunos...will begin to look into them, you are like the nth person that has told me to check them out...

Tag likes this.