My Search For Louis Electric , Fender 57 Lp Tweed Twin, J B Hp Twin or BASSMAN.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Louis Rosano

Louis Rosano Vendor

Yes that's right, and goes to 250 k

rollyfoster likes this.
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Still dialling in the KR12 with the new speakers, so lads I'm interested in your thoughts/critique of this tone.

Gain input 1 with my 335 (Power Station used as well).

MHG and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Nice! Has a good bite to it. Definitely fits the Allman vibe

Bluesful likes this.
  4. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Sounds great buddy

Bluesful likes this.
  5. Bluesful

Thanks lads.

This probably sounds stupid, but I have a real hard time critiquing my own tone. Don't know why, but just can't do it.

I actually recorded a clip of the Normal input 1 after that first clip (see below).

I think I prefer the tone of the Normal channel more based on these clips.

rollyfoster and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  6. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

That’s a great tone as well. I probably slightly favour that because you could always boost it to something similar to the previous tone. Maybe you could set an AB switch so you could swamp between both inputs on the fly?

Bluesful likes this.
  7. rollyfoster

If i hear myself speak or playing guitar it always sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher regardless of context. 99% of the time K probably have no idea what I actually sound like to other people.

As much as I find myself assuming I should use the gain staging etc, I really do find that normal 1 works perfectly well for pretty much anything.

Since switching to single coils I do spend a lot of time on gain 1 with the foot switch in normal 2 to kick it up a little and then adding an RC booster for more saturation. Seems like keeping things lower on gain 1 then bumping it up works pretty well.

Really depends on the guitar but I think normal 1 is plenty for buckers unless you want the fuzz crazy of 1/1 or 2/1.

Your second clip doesn’t sound as choked to my ear. The guitar seems to be breathing a little better.

I do wish I had a little better understanding of how the gain staging works because today I accidentally had the guitar in normal 1 and footswitch in normal 2 and it still did something so it’s obviously not limited to the few official combinations.

Could a Y cable be run into 2 inputs like Jimi or Duane did with their Marshalls?

An ABY where you could run 2 different inputs or combine them?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Bluesful likes this.
  8. Bluesful

I've never tried it.

I'll give it a go when I get some time.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  9. rollyfoster

I officially hate pedals now. I wish the KR had reverb and Trem :confused:

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

why would you hate pedals? They're amazing these days!!! I've used pedals since the mid 70's and can't believe how great they are

BudLite likes this.
  11. rollyfoster

I like them but I hate them because I want to use them and never really do, especially the nice drives and fuzzes on my board that never get turned on unless I’m wanking at home.

I don’t really need them anymore, I guess, at least not in the projects I’ve been playing with. Sounding like Machine Gun in my living room is fun and all but that’s like 0% reality as far as gigging goes.

Went straight in at rehearsal and was loving it. I don’t really care how good my cables or buffers are. It’s still like using a rubber.

I can get through a gig now without anything other than the dirt in the amp, although I do love tremolo and wish it was in the amp. Vibe is pretty awesome, too...

I’d kill for a smaller KR12 voiced amp with reverb and trem at ~30-35lbs.

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Cool , I understand. . We definitely play very different music. .There are many kinds of course! The only gigs I've ever done without pedals are when I've sit in using another guy's gear for just a a few tunes, but with my own bands I've always used pedals and never once thought of it as a 'rubber ' scneario, as I always have matched the pedals to my amp so they're an extension of the amp instead of a duller/rubber-kind of thing! Like your analogy though! :) Eric

rollyfoster likes this.
  13. rollyfoster

Yeah I’m sure it’s a result of who I’ve been playing with lately more than anything. It’s way more stripped down and simplified compared to projects I’ve been involved in before.

I definitely have my pedal crazy psychedelic tendencies and still get wacky on my own time.

As nice as the gear is, it really doesn’t compare to plugging right into the amp and feeling that connection without anything between them.

To be honest, I’m probably only really noticing that right now because I have always used pedals and have been used to it. I’ve just taken note of what I haven’t been using at gigs and rehearsals, which is pretty much everything, so I said **** it and bypassed all of it.

Moment of tequila? Probably.
    Moment of zen? Probably not.

Time will tell

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    ericb likes this.
  14. Bluesful

Get a KR12 head ;).

A KR12 with built in reverb would be awesome.

I'm happy with the Solemate though.

Tag likes this.
  15. rollyfoster

I guess I could if the head had reverb and trem but I’m also a one trip from the car guy and that would be a lot to carry. One of my rehearsal spots is up a flight of stairs and that sucks with a combo as it is.

I’d 100% head and cab everything if I never had to move it.

That swart AST is looking mighty sexy...

Bluesful likes this.
  16. Bluesful

The last band I was in had rehearsals at a studio which the director owns - which is up 2 flights of stairs.

That's why I only ever just brought my guitar along and just used the HRD that stayed in the studio.

rollyfoster likes this.
  17. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

@Tag hey brother, waiting on Cobra finality clips...any updates?

glenngross and Tag like this.
  18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Resistors are in and installed, just waiting on power transformer and head shell. As soon as the transformer arrives I will be making clips for comparison. From my tests last time and from what Lou is telling me now, this amp should be incredible. It should stand toe to toe with any Dumble ever made, and surpass most, if not all with Lous additions. Cant WAIT for that transformer to arrive.

Wyzard, MHG, VaughnC and 2 others like this.
  19. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I am first on the list, how about you allow me to toss with you for the first prototype? :)

20. justin

justin Gold Supporting Member

Following closely.