My SG pickup dilemma

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nosignal, Jul 28, 2008.

1. nosignal

nosignal Member

I have two SG's, a special and a standard. My dilemma is that my special sounds better than my standard. I replaced the bridge pickup in my special with a seymour duncan jb, but the stock neck pickup in the special also sounds better, the special sounds a bit more defined than the standard, the standard is a bit on the muddy side. I want to replace the pickups in my standard. My question is that if i buy the jb can I use any pickup cover because I really want to have keep the pickup covers. Also I would like to know whether or not everyone thinks its a good idea to change the pickups in the standard.

thanks a bunch!

ps. Also, could anyone link me to a good site for buying pickup covers, and overall just guitar parts. thanks

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have owned many SG's. I think the Specials sound better. They sound more SG like to me. You can swap pickups in your Standard if you like. Duncan sells pickup covers so you can get a JB with a cover on it.

3. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

You can order a JB from Duncan with a cover on it.

As for pickups, are you going more modern or would you like to stay vintage? If you already have a JB in your special, why not go for a totally different sound in the Standard? I have a feeling that putting hotter pickups in a guitar that already seems to be muddy will more than likely continue to make it sound muddy.

I'd look for a PAF clone. Something like SD '59's in both positions or you could go with Gibson's own '57 Classics. That's what I have in my '61 RI and they sound fantastic. I think the full smoothness of the '57's work well with an SG. There's also Seth Lovers from SD but I don't have any experience with those in an SG. Then there's always the Boutique route like Fralin or WCR.

4. nosignal

nosignal Member

do you know what site sells the duncan pickup covers? i can't seem to find any.

5. nosignal

nosignal Member

i was actually considering the 59 from sd as well, thank you for the suggestion, i really didn't even think about going for a totally different sound. I'll head on over to the sd website to check out the 59 and seth lover

6. nosignal

nosignal Member

from what i heard on the site i quite like the both the 59 and seth, but i think i like the 59 more, it seemed more defined with a tighter low end.

7. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I agree, from what I've heard I like the '59 a little more than the Seth as well.

As for getting them with covers, do you have a local shop that sells Duncan's? If you go there they can place a custom order with SD and get you whatever you want.

8. nosignal

nosignal Member

i do have a shop semi local, I'll definitely look into it. thanks a bunch!

9. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I personally like my stock pickups in my standard. But everyone has their own taste. No right or wrong answer. Just make sure you keep the original parts.

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've also owned a bunch of SG's...The one I've kept is a Special..I also think they sound better....Had it refretted, new nut, new tuners, and Harmonic Design Humbuckers....Now it's quite an instrument

11. jowe

jowe Member

A pair of P-rails would make it sound clearer and better imo.

12. larimar

larimar Member

You want want to measure the resistance of your volume pots and change them out if they are not close to 500K.

13. NativH

NativH Member

If you got a few more bucks to spend, the RS True 60's (Fralin) pickups sound killer for a PAF type in SG's. I have a pair in my '04 Historic LP/SG and it sings. They are $445 a pair but I think they are worth every penny. I play mostly classic rock like AC/DC, Cult, Rush, Aerosmith, etc through non-mastervolume Marshalls and they work great for that type of setup. I've used Seths, Antiquities, Timbuckers and even Holmes 450/455 in SG and the True 60's hold their own.

14. nnick

nnick Member

I agree on the Fralins. Another option is a Fralin P-92. This pup will give you more of a growling P-90.

15. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I put a set of Fralin's regular 8k/9k humbuckers in my LP Custom and they're fantastic as well. A little pricey at $264 when compared to some more mainstream offerings but well worth the cash in my opinion. As with all things Fralin they're very well balanced and have a hifi quality to them.

I'd love the try the True 60's at some point. They've got to be awesome.

16. Thames

Thames Member

Tried both a Standard and a Special Faded, and the Faded was far superior tonaly, both acoustic and plugged. A shock.

17. khudson

khudson Member

When I was shopping for an SG - I decided on an SG STD Natural Burst. It had much more sustain than the faded ones I tried. The tone seemed more open, clear & rang out, whereas the faded to me sounded good, but darker, if you will. I am not saying it was bad, just different. My Std was very close to the 61 RI's that I tried, but I just preferred the fat neck. I guess I found the gem in the piles of guitars made. Just shows the importance of trying them to find the right one for you.

Anyway, I keep hearing that the 57 classics are a great match for the SG. I think I may swap my neck pu with one soon. I agree with MikeB_18 - I wouldn't try to make the two SG sound the same, otherwise why have two?

One thing is for sure - SG's are great, so enjoy!:AOK

18. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I've got a set of Lollar Imperials in my 68 SG. Done and done and done. Sounds amazing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  19. uOpt

uOpt Member

You actually like the JB in that guitar? That's hard to believe if you like the SG special better.

What you want for the neck is either a SD Jazz for a clear, defined sound, or Duncan's Antiquties for a complex, rich, soft sound.

I'd slam a Duncan Custom into the bridge if you don't need sweet cleans.

Covers are on ebay. Be warned that Gibson covers don't fit. Oh and you need to wwax them when you put them on.

20. SFK

SFK Member