My Sharona -just shoot me. Play it live?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Oct 8, 2018.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

If you're going to continue on this holier than thou track; you're going to need to provide audio evidence.

2. jpage

jpage Member

Yeah I heard you. I hope your music is more interesting than your lame judgmental takes on what other people do with their time. No one ever cares what you don't like.

I don't see where you share your stuff--can you direct?

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  3. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

It's a scary super tight song. I'd not risk it personally, my cover band was never that perfect and I am not good enough to hit that solo 100%......

But that's just me!

4. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

It wouldn't be TGP if every thread didn't devolve into a covers v. originals argument.

I played the cover scene. I don't miss the grind of load in, set up, etc., but I had a blast most of the time and the extra money was nice. And I still enjoy hearing a great cover band.

Most importantly, I don't . . . and don't think anyone else should . . . look down on musicians who put themselves out there to play music, regardless of whether they wrote it or not. The more music in the world, the better place it is to live.

The only song I absolutely refused to play was Play that Funky Music White Boy and you know what? My refusal lasted until someone requested it or tipped us to play it. So, by all means, if your band is talented enough to pull off a tricky song like My Sharona, jam it!

5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

Well said, sir!

Bankston likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Chicks dig it and will dance. It’s actually fun to play if you have the right players in the band.

It’s one of those tunes that is a bit of a b!tch to learn, but once you have it on lockdown you won’t forget it.

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I don't share my stuff anymore. The band is done so I figured why bother.

I also find it funny you don't care so much you've responded to me multiple times. I guess you do care!

8. jpage

jpage Member

That says everything anyone needs to know

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

That word you keep using, I don't think it means what you think it means. Try 'artist' instead. This word also requires additional qualifiers, per context, but nonetheless would be considerably less far afield for the description you're attempting to assign to 'musician'.

See also: 'off-topic tangent'

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  10. TheGuildedAge

I've just always been very private. I've written two books as well but I don't share them. Our albums are on iTunes and my books are on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc., but I never share them, except with a few members who I have gotten to know.

A lady at work used to ask why I didn't promote the band or sell cds at work, but I never felt comfortable with it.

I also said no to the past few books talks I was offered because the book has been out over a year and I am done promoting it.

Odd I know.

11. TheGuildedAge

I freely admit it's subjective, arbitrary, and silly on my end to even attempt to define any of it. I just don't take it as personally or emotionally as some here seem to. Even my wife thinks I am pretentious and elitist, which I can't argue.

It doesn't bother me when I am criticized, but I forget sometimes other people aren't so obtuse to criticism.

12. TheGuildedAge

That's expected but silly to me. It's just my opinion. I don't particularly care if anyone agrees, nor am I going to start compiling evidence on my end to "win" an internet fight.

I think some of you are taking it far more seriously and personally than I do.

13. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I didn't read through the whole thread but if you can pull it off like this, then you guys are something special:

Matt Starr (the drummer) is out of this world

14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

So what? That doesn't change the fact that your metrics relegate them to the status of "non-musician". You should either reframe your metrics, or acknowledge that musicians often play music not their own compositions.

This is special pleading, nothing more. You wish to carve out your own exception to your own standard with no justification other than "But they're supposed to play covers in an orchestra!"

Never mind the fact that there are plenty of musicians in cover bands who play, write, and flog originals as well, using the cover band as a means of putting food on the table while they work to monetize their originals. The two approaches aren't mutually exclusive, as you're attempting to portray here.

Elitism says more about the speaker than it does about the categories they define, in most cases.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  15. TheGuildedAge

You're overthinking it.

16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'm taking you at face-value. If you think I'm "overthinking" that, seems like that's your own judgement on your own opinion -- namely, that's it's unworthy of much thought. Got it.

Tomo El Gato and jpage like this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'm loathe to call "troll!" but this is a classic troll response: "I got a rise out of you!"

18. TheGuildedAge

I just don't like cover bands. It's not something I feel is worthy of much thought because many people do and it's not a big deal to me.

My original reason for my tangents is someone implying a song is beneath them in a cover band.

Just play it. Who cares? It'll be over in 4 minutes anyway. I think being in a cover band kind of negates any artistic choice one has. It doesn't have the emotional investment for me as originals would.

19. TheGuildedAge

I don't troll. I mean every word I type. Whether that's good or bad is probably in the eye of the reader.

I've had these spirited debates with band members too. It took me forever to go see our old singer's 80s metal band because I hate covers so much. It was kind of a joke. "Fine, I'll come... but I'm not having fun!"

20. TheGuildedAge

I forgot to add I think artist IS the word I was looking for.

My 8 year old on week 10 of drum lessons is a musician, but he's not an artist.

Clyde Billt likes this.