My Son Got A Stiletto

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LSchefman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Great price at GC, as some have noted.

This amp is perfect for my son's style of music (power punk/emo rock), it's capable of some really good rock tones. There is a ton of flexibility, several levels of gain, a half power switch, choice of rectifiers, the usual Mesa features and quality.

A cool thing is that the amp is dead quiet, even at 100 watt settings on the channels, and even with the gain up and the masters at club levels. I expected the usual background noise, and it just wasn't there. You have to figure that whoever designed this thing was thinking. In all, it seems nicely made, sounds good, and looks pretty cool IMHO.

IMHO Mesa did a nice job with the amp. In some ways, it reminds me of a Bogner Ecstasy (don't jump all over me, that's the impression I got listening to him play for awhile with a Gibson with 'buckers, and yes, there are of course differences). The Mesa is more raw and there is the Mesa family sound, of course.

This amp has "cut" up the wazoo; it would easily stand out in a band setting, and even be able to cut a sonic swath through the standard Triple Recto chord moosh.

I'd recommend to anyone considering a high gain, EL34 amp, who didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. My son is thrilled with it.

2. SAVAGE BEAST

SAVAGE BEAST Member

I just got on of these the other day as well and owned an XTC and (not jumping on you here) and don't think they sound anything alike. Maybe my Boogie days are long passed, but I did not dig this amp at all. In fact, I am putting it up on Ebay this week. I think the build quality is excellent and the features are great too, but the gain sounds were not happening for me. I had to agree w/ most of the reviews I had read that said the bass was lacking and the amp is too bright. I think Mesa missed on this one because it could have been cool. I know we all have our own opions and I am not slaggin you or anything, just offering my point of view on it. I took a chance on Ebay and it was not for me. I also did not like the way it sounded at the gig either. But, to each his own!

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>owned an XTC and (not jumping on you here) and don't think they sound anything alike<<

Paradoxically, you're right, it's not so much that they sound alike, but it's that both amps' cleans are compressed, and leads are very focused. I tried to point out that it's not a matter of one not sounding like the other, but *reminding* me of the other. I hope that makes sense. I have always thought the XTC was the kind of amp that could focus a tone and cut in a band. I think this one will too.

One man's "bass is lacking, amp is bright" is another man's "this amp really cuts". It's definitely not the amp you'd want to play in your basement to get "Gear Page Tone", but in the right band, I think it would work really well. It didn't work in your band, but hey, everyone has different needs, right?

Also, he played it through a cab with Black Shadow 90s, which are relatively dark speakers. So maybe that was a good match.

My son is 19, plays in 3 bands, performs every weekend, and knows exactly what he is looking for tonally (he has played all my good amps over the years, including my Bogner, Bad Cat, and Two-Rocks, so it's not like he doesn't understand good tone). One of his bands includes a rhythm guitar player who uses a heavy sounding Triple Recto, and a keyboard player (and of course bass and drums), and honestly, it was very hard to hear Jamie at all with his Tremoverb. So I think this was probably a good choice. This thing will absolutely cut through the mix.

He went to the store several times to play the amp, and he said it was exactly what he had been looking for. Anyway, I liked it, he's thrilled, life is good!

How can ya beat that? :)

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah I've been chuckling about these amps lately.

They got really slammed when they came out. Now they get dropped in price drastically by GC for one day, and everyone loves them.... :NUTS

I thought those clips that SgtThump did were great. He said he kept the eqs all around 11 oclock. Which seems 'odd', I guess, but I've been guilty of not listening with my ears. I find, with many mesas I can get them to sound good, with settings far far away from 12 oclock. I often get a bit antsy when I run out of EQ 'real estate' (i.e. can't go any lower, or higher) .... I really shouldn't, but I do ...

This amp is great for 70s and 80s rock tones. It just needs a little volume. (Don't they all?)

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

usually I can't stand the high-gain Mesas, but the Stiletto does ROCK! Good value.

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

:horse Two Rock + (insert your favorite booteek OD boost clone here):angel

okokok I'm done.

7. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

Is your son steven funderburk?

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>not to derail, but this is the first (and, hopefully the *last*) time i've caught (the ill) wind of such a thing:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LSchefman
    "Gear Page Tone"<<

Hahaha! I was being HUMOROUS. No such thing as GP tone. ;)

>>Is your son steven funderburk?<<

Nope. Who's steven funderburk?

9. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

a friend that just got a stilletto

10. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I liked them when they first came out.....but not for $1700. At that price, their are a lot of other choices out there, booteek and major mfg. that I'd probably swing the bat on. At $916 out the door, my card jumped out of my wallet, back flipped into a triple lindy, and made a perfect slide through the GC credit card machine. I was bummed about the missing footswitch, so I had them order me one straight from Boogie. Plus I'm getting a new set of power/rectifier tubes out of the deal. I don't find mine bright at all through my THD cabinet. So far, digging mine....so much so, that the MK IV had it's head lopped off on the auction block!:eek:

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

LMAO!!!!

12. joseph

joseph Member

Hopefully Sonny boy is wearing earplugs, Dad? ;)

13. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Glad the amp is working out. That is always a good thing.

Oh......and by the way, everyone knows that gear page tone is Tag playing through a Bruno!:D

14. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i played my brothers stiletto and i liked it. even with the blowout sale i didnt buy one because i have a splawn. but i thought it was a good amp.

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

For those not liking the Stiletto.....are you playing the Stiletto Series II? Series II is supposed to be insanely good!

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Les, cool that your son got a new amp and he's diggin it. This is always a good thing. But the thing that I'm really happy to hear is that he's still playing. Man...I don't remember how long ago it was that you first mentioned that your son was playing. What was it...like 5 or 6 years ago? And he's stuck with it! Bravo and congrats to you both. He very well may have a hobby that will keep him happy the rest of his life. Something that many folks I can think of could really use.

17. unkindone

unkindone Member

18. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

:rollexcellent.

19. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Year old thread or not, I spent another hour with a Stilletto at my local dealer today and I'm loving it. I think it will compliment my current MKIV rig nicely. I work as an amp tech besides my own business and have tried out many boutique amps and most of them don't come close in price, versatility, and tone. I was also considering a Cornford MK50, but i could almost buy 3 Stilletto's for the cost of that.....:messedup

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

I am going to call around this week to find a Series II. I hear it is WORLDS better than series I. I HOPE it is smoother and warmer than the Rectifier heads.