My son's new band

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by John Bell, Dec 22, 2009.

1. John Bell

John Bell Member

2. solphilcox

solphilcox Senior Member

this is fantastic. which one is your son?? definately way above the average of others in their genre.

3. guzman

guzman Member

holy cr*p ! that's great !

Any album coming out ?

4. John Bell

John Bell Member

My son is the drummer.Maybe I'm biased,but I think they have something great happening musically.

5. John Bell

John Bell Member

Stay tuned!!

6. guzman

guzman Member

I will, I just bookmarked the myspace.

7. solphilcox

solphilcox Senior Member

I'm not gonna lie, they do sound like a million other bands and this particular sound is, well, how can I put it, a little 'flavour of 2007'; but there is still an entire demographic of people (myself included) who follow the hardcore/post hardcore scene religuously; and for whome they will in time make a name for themselves amongst, provided they work hard and record a full-length record rather than just an EP or the occasional new song to put up on myspace (nobody ever gives a **** about bands who do this). Undoubtedly they are definately in the upper 10% of unsigned bands playing this style at the moment judging from that one song so i stay all the power to them. Will definately be looking out for them over the next few months!

8. John Bell

John Bell Member

Thanks for the advice.I will be certain to pass it along.I'll also tell them it came from someone with a little street cred.......;)

9. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

They have some really unique melodic lead work. They've got a good balance of heavy and ambient/melodic sounds, I like it a lot.

10. solphilcox

solphilcox Senior Member

lol no please don't do that haha, i'm sure they are well aware already and don't need my advice. Just a thought to you in case you were having any grandiose parental ideas of your son's band being the next metallica or something. Please don't take this as personal offence, just I have had way too much experience of parents being over zealous of their kids' bands/music and I know there are a load of people on here who are probably going to bash this band and the 'illegible lyrics'/'cookie monster vocals'/'incoherent guitar tones' etc; so figured you would value an opinion from someone who knows a little about the scene and understands it. But they do have serious talent, how long have they been together for?

11. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Have they heard of a band called "Architects"? Definitely a similar approach to this genre, which is a good thing. As for "being bashed on tone" I actually tend to like their sort of thing more than the un-washed bluesy masses that populate this forum.

12. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Sent them an add...thanks for sharing! Its great that you're so proud of him!

13. major-minor

major-minor Member

Seems very cool that you are so supportive of your son's music. He's a great drummer! I dug all of the playing and liked the song. However...................

I guess I'm too old school but, I can't handle the screaming. I just find it a huge distraction from some really good playing. Put some actual singing on top of that music and I'd be VERY interested in hearing more.

Sorry to be a bummer on all the positive comments. Just my opinion.

14. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

I'll give your son some kudos! Not my cup of tea.........however I am a former pro drummer (now trying to learn guitar but spending too much time on forums instead of practicing). I played with the Jayhawks and Joe Henry and many others a while back (long while) and my drumming tastes are more Charlie Watts all the way through John Bohnam with some Jim Keltner on top but your son is very good. I played for 30 some years and I couldn't play that!. Then again I am too lazy to now anyway. I would just want to sit on the groove. Good luck to them and glad your are supporting them. I have been working with my son a bit and trying to be the Jack Black of the neighborhood in coaching the kids on the weekends. I think I like it more than they do. When they get a little stronger maybe I will post them but they are really young.

Again great job band & dad!

Happy Holidays to all proud Dads!

15. motis1953

motis1953 Member

The singer is too laid back. Hopefully your son will continue to play music and not be a burden on society like lobbyists or attorneys.