My strange path to reasonable digital satisfaction

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by smrybacki, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

I have been a user of the POD series since the XT line dropped, and I even got the model packs for my red bean. I used my PODXT mostly for the Guitarport service and I learned quite a few songs using it. But alas, that service withered and died on the vine. Line 6 did the fair thing and comped me the POD Farm 2.5 standard as compensation which didn't mean much to me at the time, but hey it was free so thanks guys.

Then, along came the HD500 and I bit on that as well and sold off my PODXT , but I kept the model packs because I found out they worked in the POD Farm and as well in Propellerheads Reason which was kinda cool and besides, I'd paid for them already. The only ones that I didn't have were the so called "Power Pack" and the "Bass Pack". In any event, I spent most of the next year trying to make the PODHD500 and my pair of Tech21 Power Engines work for me somehow, usually with disappointing results.

So last night I pulled up the POD Farm stand alone (finally) and started to play with it and I was therefore playing through my recording setup monitors which are a pair of KRK Rokit 5s and things sounded fairly amazing suddenly. The wet blanket was removed, life was restored and the differences that I barely noticed in the HD Models became really apparent with the (so-called) lesser XT models. So I sprang for the Power Pack figuring I get 30 days to really wring this whole thing out, but I have to say that as a recording (with elements VSTs) and self-contained practice facility -- POD Farm may well be all I needed to begin with.

So, am I out here alone thinking the XT models are actually better than the HD models? Or is it just my Power Engines that need replaced with a true FRFR system for my HD500? Thoughts?

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Not at all, there are A LOT of guitar players that feel exactly like you do.

And perhaps thats why Line6 has a new product that gives both techs to the guitar player, FireHawk.

3. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If your Power Engines have standard single 12" guitar type drivers in them, the high end is possibly limited, and if your HD is in Studio mode, it could cause the dull tone. How does your HD sound plugged into the same computer that is running POD Farm? Are the tones comparable to what you get from POD Farm when running direct?

I gigged and recorded with a HD500 for several years, but it sits unused now in favor of an X3 and Shortboard. To summarize the reason; if I want a specific tone with the HD, I have to fight the unit to get it. With the X3, I can get the tone very quickly. But the issue I had with the HD wasn't dull tone, it was too much high and low end, most tones were just harsh.

IMHO the HD has less than ideal sounding cab and power amp simulation. Using external IR's helps a lot, but still doesn't help the power amp sim issues. Playing the X3 through the same PAs sounds fine to me, and I don't feel the improvement of external IRs is worth the trouble with the X3 in live use.

I think at least one XT model (AC30) is better than the equivalent X3 or HD version, this is after extensive direct comparisons between the 3. The XT overdriven and distorted tones are a bit smoother than the X3's are, but the cleans are nowhere near as good.

4. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

Thanks for the detailed response! I have not yet tried my HD through the monitors, but I will tonight. I was going to, but (there's always a but!) I read in my monitor's manual that more than one connection to the monitor was a bad idea, and I needed them for my recording setup more so I kept plugging away with the PE60s. They are, after all supposed to be geared towards use with digital modellers. Got my doubts there.

So I guess then if my little experiment works well, then the logical thing is to get a TRUE FRFR speaker setup to replace the PE60s. I am intrigued by the Line6 StageSource speakers and it would give me a so-called "Dream Rig" since I also have a JTV59. Hmm...

5. rsm

rsm Member

Not sure, but I've heard great tones out of POD HD. I'm happy with my AMPLIFi FX100 tones which are not HD based, so I guess the question is how much realer do you need? ;)

I'd look to getting a different FRFR solution.

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

My understanding was that the pe60 was designed for use with the tech21 character series pedals - with the cab SIM turned off. You may get better results with them (if you aren't already) by turning off the cab models in the pod hd.

7. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

The PE is excellent when used with the right preamps, such as tech 21 stuff. With modelers, you suffer from not having full range. I have a PE and an iLoud speaker. My modeler(GP10) sounds very good with the iLoud. Not so good with the PE. It's not the PE's fault. It's just the nature of modeled guitar sims.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

There are some. Yes.

That said... according to Line 6, the percentage of people that are telling THEM this is really small.

But what a great world that we have all these choices...

9. rgys

rgys Member

MKB,

thanks for the tip you gave about the EPSI in combination with the V-Amp. I dusted my old V-Amps and gave the a quick try with the EPSI. Indeed a hell of a lot better.

Let me give you a tip in return so you can try your POD HD again: I used to struggle with the highs and lows from the HD as well, so I've ended up using the "Stack Front" output setting to have my "global EQ" going into my EPSI with the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-EN_T1_SP.wav IR. I mostly use this IR for all my patches (not the best for every amp, but I found it to be the "best overall single IR" to work with most HD models).
    So try this: set your POD HD to stack front output, set the midfocus somewhere around 1.45 - 1. 60, then dial in the bass response till your satified with them (depending on your guitar, for a humbucker guitar, I usually end up with my lows somewhere between -20 and -30), then start with your highs at the same setting as your lows and fine-tune from there (depending on the highs of your guitar, you will probably end up in the same range as your lows , with a difference somewhere between -3 or +3).

Following these simple guidelines with that Ownhammer IR (from their Modern Mix library) should give you "instant great tone" with nearly every POD HD model.

PS: Following the discussion in the "Line6 Namm thread" I've tried using the POD cabinets again with resonance set to 0 (hoping I could remove the EPSI from my soundchain), but I've very quickly given up trying again. It was a lot better, but certainly not as good as the EPSI + Ownhammer IR's.