My Strat tone could use a kick in the arse!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Teh RedWizard, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

I've got the EJ,and absolutely love its playability,and old-school Strat tones.But am I unique in thinking that the pickups are a bit quiet,and weak for slightly more 'rockin' stuff'?I don't need crazy hot from this guitar,I've got a Paul for that stuff,but would like to get into say,mid 80's Rush type tones,(think GUP,and Power Windows).I'm looking at a few options-

1) Hoping that a good overdrive/booster pedal will kick in the magic that it needs.I'm considering the Throbak range.
    2) Installing the Clapton mid-boost kit as per his signature guitar.
    3) Pickup change...what would you suggest?
    4) Maybe the pickup height just needs to be adjusted?
    5) Some combination of the above?

2. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I find that if I put a simple rat pedal in front of my strats, it fatens up the tone tremendously. Playing with the gain knob will take you from Rush tones to full on high gain.

Makes my fat 50 pickups really sing.

The boost in my Clapton strat is cool but it thickens the tone to more of a humbucker sound. The single coils with the Rat pedal is more of a true boosted singel coil sound.

3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

4. slegros

slegros Member

Try the Fender hot noiseless pickups. I have them in my Jeff Beck strat and love them. Similar tone to the vintage coils just a touch hotter

5. DamianL

DamianL Member

I sometimes feel like I am acting as free advertising for these guys - though I'm bot sure they'd appreciate my demos, ha ha...
    but its a great product so what-cha gonna do? :rolleyes:

Here's what I wrote in a different but similar thread...

I have this fitted on my strat and it opens up a whole new world of tones...

http://www.villex.com/stratocaster_j...t_booster.html

One of the best bits of kit i ever bought...seriously...and fits with no soldering ...just screws in...genius in my opinion...

I had some demos of it in a thread here...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...ghlight=villex

not the best demos but should give you the idea...:rolleyes:

D
    [​IMG]

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

if you like the base tone I wouldn't change the pups...height adjustments would be my first step and if not I would just get a Klon or a Telenordia treble boost...both will fatten without taking away from the character of the guitar...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My EJ sounded anything but thin. I used the bridge pickup for rythms and rolled the tone off to 6 or so. I then slapped a boost pedal between that and my amp and proceeeded to rock out.:dude

8. Macs69

Macs69 Member

Got my EJ from Jahn on the board here. It has the Area 58/Area 61 pickups in it. Bought a Custom Shop Jeff Beck at Guitar Center last week, and plugged both guitars in to a Fender Hot Rod Limited Edition amp for comparison. Thought the tone on the EJ was now definitely better, and a little less muddy than the Beck. Guitar Center now has the Beck back on their wall. It did sound good, though.

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Pair of humbuckers!

10. Redbell

Redbell Member

11. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Man, I'd have a hard time doing bends on my EJ if I put 11's on it! The EJ has higher string tension than my other strat, an Am. Deluxe. I've always thought it was because the strings are longer because of the shallow holes in the block, or the lack of a string tree which "adds" length, but whatever the reason it IS harder to bend on. Even so I prefer the EJ to the AD.

I agree with Hee Haw, the bridge pup sounds great and a bit thicker when you roll the tone back about halfway. Still, any Strat will sound thin after playing a 'bucker equipped axe.

To the OP, try adjusting your amp, don't play the Strat with the same amp settings you use for your LP. A good booster will help too, and maybe a comp for a little more sustain.

12. ford

ford Supporting Member

Look into the Rio Grande dual calibrated set... I think that is what they are called... it's a Muy Grande in the bridge, a half breed in the middle and a tall boy in the neck.... great sounding set of strat pickups. Still strat tone with more beef.

rock

bford

13. Igneous

Igneous Member

ive got antiquities in my strat and it replaced my humbucker guit hands down. totally holds its own(for metal too)

14. vds5000

vds5000 Member

If you don't want to alter the tone too much, but just want to increase loudness, what about trying some Dimarzio HS3's. (I'm not sure if they even make them anymore). They're stacked humbuckers - so they look like regular singles, but cancel hum. I put some in a strat years ago, hoping to get more of a humbucking sound - all that was accomplished was a louder sound with no hum.

15. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

A good pedal is the simple answer, you can get all the cool tones you need with the right combination of Amp/Pedal distortion. I personally like the sound of the EJ pickups in that guitar but chainging them would be my second thing to try.

IMO

Richard

16. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I was going to suggest Areas as well. Dead nuts quiet and they are absolutely awesome sounding. I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the bucker in the bridge of mine and throw in an Area 61 to go with the Area 58s in the neck and middle.

17. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Van Zandt Blues, will give you that girth and punch you want.

18. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

The EJs are very nice. There are so many p-ups to choose from. Try a Seymour Duncan SFX-01 pickup booster pedal first before switching p-ups. You can dial in the extra gain you want.

19. KPO

KPO Member

Try a RC Boost. i use it in my setup to equal the different guitars i use. Lows ,highs gain and volume can be ajusted to taste.

20. ricoh

ricoh Member

or a Fulltone Fat Boost..............the RC has more flexibility with it's bass and treble controls