My Strobostomp display just froze

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bbarnard, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Frozen on C0 and won't tune. Lights up, works in bypass mode, allows access to menus but no tuning. This one has already had the jacks repaired.

I'm ticked.

2. pear gage

pear gage Member

quick! order a turbo tuner and then dedicate your life to worshipping it!

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Have you contacted Peterson yet, or asked about this on their forums?

4. TDavis

TDavis Member

I have dealt with Peterson's Customer Service once before with a problem with my version 1 SS, and found them to be VERY customer orientated. They took took care of the problem in a very timely manner..do yourself a favor and contact them. I've had mine since they were introduced and if it bites the dust tomorrow, I'll buy a SS 2!

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Don't want to offend. This is what I experienced.

Make sure you have got your inputs and outputs correct. I reversed them setting up for a gig and scrambled for a couple of minutes as my tuner sat stuck on C. I tried stomping on an OD and the sound went away. Then I realized I had gotten my wires crossed.

Since all the pedals were "true bypass" the signal got through fine until I engaged the pedal circuit.

Check your battery too.

hunter

6. 6789

6789 Member

Check at the peterson forum. When I had trouble with the jacks on my SS1 they sent me a new one right away. Great customer service.

7. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Yes I have contacted them but since it went out while I was playing at church on Sunday, no one was there. Helpdesk ticket in to them though.

I DID search their forums to see if it was a common problem and found at least 3 threads on it. It sounds like it may be a diode that is out and it necessitates a return to Peterson if that turns out to be the problem.

As have I when I had to have the jacks repaired. They were customer friendly although I did have to pay shipping back to them. So it appears that I may have to ship back to them again. FYI, this is a SS1 so hopefully it isn't out of the warranty.

No offense taken. Tried all that. Made sure it was plugged into the input jack. Tried it with and without battery and with new battery. Nada.

See reply above.

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I also found them very helpful...my SSII display faded, and they sent instructions to remove it's "appendix", and cleared up the problem. All the best with yours!
    Greg

9. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Say Greg,
    My SS2 has had that faded display thing happen a few times as well. Mystery problem, for about a week it did that, now 2 months later and it is working fine and has not faded since. BTW it is about 7-8 months old now and it is powered by a PP2 on my board.
    What is/was this appendix that you referred to? Any chance that you could post the fix here for the next time mine fades...?
    Thanks. Tony

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Tony- If my memory serves me, I think it was an IC. Apparently an unnecessary internal organ! When i switched PCs I lost that email, but their customer service page is fairly easy, and they were quick to respond.
    Greg

11. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

They have asked me to return it for warranty repair.

12. fast_eb

fast_eb Member

My friend Steve had the same thing occur to his Strobostomp ..Frozen display on C. My friend asked me if I could fix it....which of course I said "I'll check it out". He told me that some forums said that the "diode" may need replacing. After opening it up and looking for this "diode", I noticed that the plastic casing on the input jack was cracked. Suspecting this as the root cause of the problem, I proceeded to plug my guitar into the jack while the pedal was disassembled and turned the tuner on. Then I wiggled the input jack while the tuner was on and PRESTO...the tuner started displaying properly. I Suspect the input jacks are a source of this type of screen freezing problem...SO be sure to check that out....

cheers

13. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

From my first post:

"This one has already had the jacks repaired."

They found no problem with it. Returned it and it was working but I have witnesses that saw it freeze. No idea why it started working again but it has been fine since returned.