My SUHR with SKYWAY has arrived!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PlexiBreath, Sep 2, 2006.

1. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

If I could do backflips, this is the guitar I'd pop off a few backflips over! Damn me for not paying attention while attending the American Backflipping School.

I own a hell of a lot of fine guitars. But I wanted to finally have my one bread and butter workhorse guitar. Until now that guitar has been my Relic '56 Custom Shop Fender Strat, I love it, but it has the typical, what I feel are design flaws of the Strat. So, years ago I started planning this thing, originaly I was going to build it myself, the main thing I wanted was a Skyway bridge and a very unique shaped neck, but there was a lot of other criteria as well. My playing style involves the frequent use of the tremolo in al kinds of subtile to very sick ways.

But a while back when I heard of what Suhr Guitars was doing, the quality and precision, as well as embracing new proven technology like Buzz Feiten tuning system and stainless and steel frets, but what caught me was the Silent Single Coil System, so I decided to entrust them with this project.

I wanted a thick "V" shaped neck, but there's all kinds of V shapes, I wanted a very subtile "V" shape where it doesn't immediately occur to you that it's V'ish, but without the bloated feel of a "C" shape. Well I'm here to report that the neck profile I specified was created perfectly!
    The Skyway is absolutely insane! I've seen how the Skyway equiped guitars all have such big tone, but what a great combination when mated with a Suhr guitar! This bridge absolutely conducts the vibration from the strings into the wood of the guitar, and it's so damn playable! You can get very subtile with this tremolo, or wank the hell out of it and it still comes back in tune. I also like that the bar presses in, I never like the screw in bars, and the tension on the bar is adjustable, I like it set so it's very easy to move but stays put.
    I want to make the point that the Skyway doesn't dominate the guitar's tone. Kolls, Bakers, Chapins, Suhrs, all still sound like the creations of their makers.

And the finish, it doesn't know whether it wants to be black, or cherry, some times it looks absolutely black, sometime outright redish cherry. Good thing it's called BlackCherry. The feel of this finish is perfect as well. I understand Suhr doesn't finish in nitro, which concerned me, but playing it now has me sold on whatever they are using because it's a thin but strong finish and is not at all grabby/stickey like many nitro finishes.

And the Silent Single Coil System? Oh yeah! It only does what it's supposed to do, loose the humm, leaving every drop of Strat tone intact.

So I need to give proper thanks to the players that made this dream guitar come true.

The crew at Suhr Guitars:
    You guys built my dream guitar flawlessly. Everything I specified you just nailed! The fit and finish is perfect. You guys are master craftsmen.

Rick Huff:
    Thanks my friend! We've been talking about this guitar for years. I still remember searching the net for a tremolo design I could believe in and saw the design flaws in all the others I checked out. I was frustrated and about to give up, when I heard about your design I had to check it out, it helped that you lived just across the bay. I still remember the tone from those prototypes and my awe at your elegant design that did away with pieces of metal that pivoted off each-other, and much less routing away of body tone wood. That flexure beam technology was clearly the only solution that didn't have some sort of "gotcha". Though I love the way this tremolo stays in tune, and has no parts that wear, my favorite part about your design is that so little wood needs to be routed away, as well as your unrelenting efforts to design it so that as much of the vibration from the strings is transfered into the wood of the guitar as possible. Your concern throughout the design that this tremolo would still retain that Strat tone, not over-riding it but enhancing it, succeeded in a big way.

Noel Evangelista:
    Great job at helping me define what was in my head into an actual order.

And now, the pictures!
    (be sure to note the thickness of the neck from the side shot, and how about that fingerboard wood!)

Unfortunately, none of these pictures of this guitar do it justice, none of the pictures properly portray the slight green of the mint pickguard, and the actual black cherry finish in the pictures shows courser flecks in the finish, the actual finish has much finer flecks. I also was not able to do anything about the reflections in the finish, though I blacked out the background you can still see the reflections of grass or bricks in the finish. Still, enjoy the pics.

EDIT 7/8/07 I've made minor changes to this guitar, they are:
    Locking Kluson tuners
    Suhr's "FL" pickups, these are fansastic!
    I changed to parchment pickup covers and knobs to mint in order to better match the mint pickguard.

Here's a clip

http://www.johnkelleybrown.com/mp3s/MidnightBluesSuhr.wav

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f97/plexibreath/Suhr_headstock_bb_s.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What can I say but, It's good to be me!

[​IMG]

Here's the specs sheet:

[​IMG]

2. fatback

fatback Member

Now that's a fatback!

Sweet axe. :) Enjoy.

3. JiMB

JiMB Member

That color's amazing. Really nice guitar. Let us know how you like the Skyway.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Congrats! That is really cool. I plan on ordering a Suhr T someday in Trans-Straw with 6100 nickel-silver frets and a very particular neck shape... it is great to hear that Suhr Guitars nailed your request

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Damn YEAH! All the way :) :) :)
    Kudos

JJ

6. Shades

Shades Member

Congrats! Cool Skyway Sweetness

7. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Thats a beauty :AOK

Did John treat you special because your one of the stars of 'Lost', or does he treat everyone like that? :D

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a strat guy, and even I think that guitar is awesome!

Well done :AOK

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Very nice - from vision to execution.

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I'm so in love with that color!

Nice guitar you got there dude! I initially saw a post with your picture and guitar in it at the tone merchants webpage.

Awesome Stuff!

Congratulations!

11. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

" Did John treat you special because your one of the stars of 'Lost', or does he treat everyone like that? :D"

lolololol that was my thought exactly

and that guitar is, for sure, super sweet

12. JZWest

JZWest Member

Damn! This guitar is talkin to me!

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

AJ, from this experience of mine, I can say Suhr will nail your neck shape for you. In my case I gave exact numbers for what I wanted the thickness to be at 1st and 13th frets, and a wordy discription of the shape, the result was so exact it's scary.

14. patpark

patpark Member

i saw noel outside in front of tone merchants taking pictures of that. i work down the street from tm and drive by on my way home.

i knew it had to be something special.

15. jbro

jbro Member

Great looking axe, congratulations! I've never seen/heard of that bridge.. do you have a link to some more info about it?

16. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

It's http://www.skywaymusic.com , there is not much there yet but you can contact him through the number on the site. So far the main professional player who's been championing this bridge is Hershel Yatoviz of Chris Isaak's band, he's an awesome player with great tone, you will see him on the Skyway site. BTW, I just went to your site, very nice looking guitar, can't wait to see more pictures of the guitars you build.

17. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I thought I should post a closeup from the players point of view. Note how close the strings are to the body. The strings are at the height of a hardtail, or traditional trem pulled down against the body. Here you can see one of the "flexure beams" the Skyway pivots on.

[​IMG]

18. emjee

emjee Member

Woah!! Sooo sweet. I love the way all the strings line up perfectly snd directly over each polepiece- also the two dots at the twelfth fret. Excellent attention to detail, and that color is spectacular.

Matt

"I have never struck a woman in my life, not even my own mother!" ----William Claude Dukenfeld

19. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Zion was using them several years back... dont know if they still are or not...

20. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member