My switch from Tube Amps.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a complete sucker for good tube amps. I've purchased many great amps the last ten years, but I'm changing my perspective as of late. I'm currently playing in a band that plays off the stage, with just vocals in a modest PA. Quite frankly I'm getting ear fatigue. Before this band, I miced to FOH my amps, for a decent stage level. This band is kind of loud, and the sound out front, not optimal.
I have been subbing with a band that has been going direct for the last 7 years. Over the last few years of fill-ins, I've used an RP500, an HD500, some amps miced, tilted at me away from the band, and the best results were with my Tech21 after my small pedalboard, into a K10, to FOH.
I may have a permanent slot with these guys, so I have been assembling my new KPA rack, K10, to FOH. I'm waiting for my uno4Kemper chip, and I have to debut this rig next Wed. Quite frankly I can't wait! The sounds I'm getting with the stock profiles are amazing. I'm using the stock TAF's tweaked a little. I don't have the great PA they use, so I'm hoping I won't have to do much when I get to the gig. Ill probably have to eq a bit, but ill just eq the main out section to keep it simple.
I've got a couple of amps up for sale, and my 500's will go up next. The KPA is a serious upgrade to any digital stuff I've ever used. I'm really excited to get this rig on the job with this group, thru the fantastic PA.

That's all, just sayin!

690MBCOMMANDO

With the improvements in modeling as of late I have been using them more as well. I finally got tired of using lugging all my gear, getting mic'd up and then listening to myself post FOH through IEMs just to have my tone butchered at the board....why bring all that gear when I can go direct and they have less chance to mess it up....

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Even with my humble HD 500 I ended up unloading all my tube amps, including a couple of awesome Fenders and a Dr. Z.

partytrain

I'm down to 1 tube amp (Koch Multitone), and as soon as I can get over the nostalgia factor, I'll probably unload it for a kemper. Hopefully I can get the kemper first to do a few profiles of the Koch before I say goodbye.

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
I'm down to 1 tube amp (Koch Multitone), and as soon as I can get over the nostalgia factor, I'll probably unload it for a kemper. Hopefully I can get the kemper first to do a few profiles of the Koch before I say goodbye.
I thought that to, but I think the profiles you can buy, would be way better than anything I could profile. I have a Tone King Metro I was going to profile, but the stock TAF Tone King sounds incredible, with more touch sensitivity than my own amp!

mattball826

With the improvements in modeling as of late I have been using them more as well. I finally got tired of using lugging all my gear, getting mic'd up and then listening to myself post FOH through IEMs just to have my tone butchered at the board....why bring all that gear when I can go direct and they have less chance to mess it up....
doesnt matter if i use gsp, axe fx or kpa. i have presets i made with the band at band levels. took some time fudging all that but in order to get proper mixes its cool to do that. i have not had a sound guy tweak too much of my sound of late. he dont even fader ride for boosts.

Telecaster62

I fully understand your situation, Bikedude. I also LOVE my tube amps and still have several but lately my cover band has gone to in ear monitors and an "ampless" stage setup. I've been using my Tech 21 Liverpool and pedals into the PA with a K10 as a side fill on my side of the stage. It sounds wonderful, consistent and the sound guy loves it. Heck, even a good bit of the "feel" is there. I like having options especially on cramped stages or when we need to get a good sound and set up fast.

guitarmike

I went through this myself last year. Intellectually I always understood that the people listening to a cover band do not know the difference a $4000 booteek amp or a Peavy Bandit. They hear dirty guitar sounds and clean. They do not care about your gear, never have, never will. But I played 1/2 stacks for decades and figured I always would. I had a great sounding Friedman based rig and was totally happy with it. Then there is the sound guy. I have only worked with a few over the years that got it. Most just do not care about your guitar tone. If it sounds good to them, that is how it will sound.

Combine the above with 5 back surgeries and a screwed up back and I went to the other side and bought the Kemper. Between my profile of my BE-100 and the Amp Factories Marshall based profiles my rig sounds great and is a fraction of the weight of the half stack and all the gear that goes with it. I can only speak to the Kemper as it is what I own but it just doesn't make sense lugging a big rig to a gig when no one will hear the difference and even if they could the sound guy will probably hack up your tone anyhow.

Trending Topics