My take on fulltone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crossfireblues, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossfireblues

Crossfireblues Member

My take on fulltone....
    I think we’ve all played if not owned an ocd or fulldrive over the years. I played an ocd so long I had to change it up so when the new GE models came out I was interested. Even tho I moved on from the ocd I would’ve probably invested in one just to have it, because I def have other favorites. But who would pay $200 without a decent demo right??? Well apparently fulltone expects people to. But either way it’s an ocd, right?? So without a demo I decided to grab one from Sweetwater and make it work in whatever capacity. So I pre-ordered it from Sweetwater but shortly after I noticed where someone posted a comment on their page that a video was on YouTube. For some reason it was no longer available so that was what I posted under his reply. So Michael fuller commented to the effect of “well genius, they’re being released next week, what do you expect” so partly taking offense to this I replied to which he replied again then deleted and banned me. Now for me, I don’t care how good someone’s gear is, if they’re attitude sucks I will not support their product. Too many guys will speak to you personally on the phone, j rockett audio, pigtronix, keeley, and my personal favorite Joseph at like my pedals worked with me for a while to design something for me. Anyhow, not trying to bash a guy here but I’ve seen some of his snide comments in the past but little did I know how unprofessional and immature he is and how easy he flies off the handle at something. Anyone else have issues with him?

fretless, Rufus, monkmiles and 5 others like this.
  2. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

so you are Full of Fuller?

Wolfboy1, cratz2, uab9253 and 3 others like this.
  3. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Or is Fuller?

twinrider1 and ruger9 like this.
  4. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    Yeah, everyone has issues with him.

5. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

Years ago I sensed an an Ego/attitude with ‘ol Mikey.
    Around the same time I called and talked with Dave Barber, what a contrast (to Fuller), and pleasure he was. He was a great guy to deal with. Answered all my questions and didn’t treat me like a dumb sh!t. Nice guy.

6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Not defending anyone or condoning anything, but I personally can give him a measured amount of leeway or slack (not necessarily in this case but generally) in that I think he is way busier than other boutique pedal builders and has like ten seconds to spare for less important customer issues or peripheral complaints. It would be like Jim Marshall answering the phone, as it is a bigger company. So my stance with him would be to be succinct and strategic in any personal contact. I personally would not bring stereotypical TGP-ish concerns and small complaints ("why don't this fuzz have tap tempo bro?") to him. I would above all communicate that I respected his time.

The OP may well have done all this perfectly, but wanted to generally say that FWIW as regards dealing with him.

But not sure if asking why there is no youtube demo would be something I would want to talk to him about. I might well just not purchase the pedal until after it's out and someone makes a demo. Mike rarely makes demos. They are farmed out, and depend on other parties' schedules, etc.

I could maybe see just asking if there was a demo, if it took ten seconds or less of his time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Can we get a banner on the effects forum page? Something like "Yes, we all know Mike Fuller is a miserable human being. No further threads necessary."

8. Crossfireblues

Crossfireblues Member

Wouldn’t it make more sense to let someone else handle your customer service if you can’t handle the stress? David Barber does an excellent job with it and so does analogman and I’m sure their volume is still at more than fulltone. Seems to me people would catch on and just quit supporting his gear

9. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

The way I read it, OP was responding to a random commenter, not talking to Mike Fuller. Mike Fuller then responded to OP.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

ah thanks for clarifying.

Original_Fire likes this.
  11. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

He typically does. No idea why anybody at Fulltone would give him access to the internet with the company’s name on it- unless they’re afraid of him. :dunno

Like I said in the other thread: there’s medicated Fuller and there’s non-medicated Fuller. He’s from the old school of boutique builders who “made it” and doesn’t need your money. Seems to be the reason he thinks he can treat you however the eff he wants.

12. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

13. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

I actually like reading the same thing over and over and over again. It comforts me, like a security blanket, or a nice morphine drip. Let's keep the "Fuller's a rude dude" thread tradition alive, people!

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I own two or three of his pedals right now (just sold two). I sent an email asking a VERY simple customer service/repair question and I got "come on... it doesn't take a genius to do this on their own wtf" response directly from him. Well F'er... I don't own a dang'd soldering iron! :mad:

Too many good CS shops out there to give him any more of my biz or attention. NEXT!

Lovepedal fixed and shipped a product back for free that's no longer made.
    Keeley and Wampler jump through hoops to help their customers out.
    Never had an issue with MXR or Boss breaking period.
    I could keep going, but I'll stop here.

Ymmv applies here.

nixpix, chandra, BlueCajun and 13 others like this.
  15. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

People used to say that Barry Bonds was a smug prick
    And that might have even been so
    But, the man sure could hit a baseball
    (PEDs aside, he still had to hit the one pitch he was going to see that was hitable)

Point being, if the pedals rock (and MF's got a good average there) then maybe just appreciate what he does well and leave it at that.

16. SG-Slinger

SG-Slinger Member

“Everyone” is false blank statement...... because actually I have NEVER had an issue with him. The interactions over the years I’ve had with him have been extremely professional and to the point. He has been no more or less accommodating than the times I’ve reached out to Keeley,EHX,Cusack and Paul C.

I couldn’t ask for anything more from an owner of a company. The fact that these builders actually take time to actually interact with customers is amazing to me. I can always tell ALOT about a client when I take them out to eat by how they treat the staff at the restaurant. Some people need to have their EGO stroked and treat salesmen, staff, owners etc. like crap but EXPECT those people to put up with it....also some... not all. Some customers just ask stupid questions and waste everybody’s time. Then they get butthurt when they are called out.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    ntotoro, W88, jmoose and 4 others like this.
  17. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I feel like all of the issues the OP had could have been avoided somehow.

Tomo El Gato and SG-Slinger like this.
  18. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Eh, the difference is there was no reason you’d need to interact with Barry Bonds, unless you just wanted to. If your seat broke at a game, you didn’t call the Giants and they put Barry bonds on the phone and he tells you to go eff yourself.

Barry Bonds also didn’t go on to Internet forums, find people asking relatively innocuous questions and then berate them.

My Mike Fuller story is that a switch broke on my fulldrive2. I called. I was willing to pay for a part to be shipped to me, so I could do the repair myself.

Mike answers “Mike Fuller, what’s going on?”

Me: “I’d like to buy a replacement Footswitch for my fulldrive2 mosfet, just the part shipped to me.”

Fuller: “you need to send the pedal in to make a warranty claim”

Me: “I’m not trying to make a warranty claim, I just want the part, I can do the repair myself”

MF: “why aren’t you using the warranty then? Did you do something dumb to break it?”

Me: “I bought it used, so I didn’t think the warranty applied”

MF: “you cheap motherf<€*}rs, just buy a new pedal, legitimately this time, you all just think you can get something for nothing.”

Me: “I just want to pay for the part”

MF: “why don’t you get real and buy a new pedal” *hangs up on me*

I did. I bought a Wampler Euphoria and Tumnus and never looked at fulltone again.

19. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

I've said it here before, I had a problem with one of his pedals about 15 years ago & he was a major a$$hole! I never bought any of his other stuff & I discouraged other people from buying his stuff. WAY too many pedal builders out there to deal with that crap even for a min. Nice to see he hasn't changed at least he's a consistently uncool person.

guitrr, binge, stratadp and 3 others like this.
  20. cra1987

cra1987 Member

Yikes. Hadn’t heard about that before, but to me this stuff DOES matter...heck I’m trying to find a way to fit in a JHS pedal just because I find the guy funny and likeable in those YouTube vids. Customer service matters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.