My take on fulltone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crossfireblues, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drifterphase

drifterphase Member

I remember in the early ‘90s Guitar Player did a univibe clone shoot out and made some points that were not flattering to the full tone unit. This was back in the era when Guitar Player would print a manufacturer’s response to equipment reviews. Fuller seemed rude and jerk-like to me in his response and I have never had any intention of owning any of his stuff since then. Every new bit of information I get confirms my initial assessment.

guitrr, Abram4235 and Vhailor like this.
  2. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Man, I really miss guitar player from the 90s. Back then you’d get some honest reviews, it wasn’t where all the reviews were also more or less advertisements, in addition to the actual advertisements.

3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Totally agree. I vote with my feet all the time and encourage others to do likewise.

Recently I came back to compact pedals after using Fractal stuff. I briefly considered auditioning Fulltone ODs but decided against it for several reasons. I don’t feel that I’ve missed anything.

Crossfireblues likes this.
  4. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

I’d rather buy Wampler. The pedals are more interesting and sound better. Perhaps I should call Mike Fuller and let him know my thoughts. Seems like a real receptive and down-to-Earth cat.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, his stuff is fine, but there’s just so many great pedal builders out there these days. He doesn’t offer anything that somebody else doesn’t do just as well. His most famous pedals, the OCD and the fulldrive are just a modified Voodoo labs overdrive and tubescreamer, respectively.

Abram4235 and 61cygni like this.
  6. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Fuller really likes MOSFETs. They lurk in almost all his dirt and boost pedals. I find them mushy in the low end. The crappy attitude is just icing on a cake I choose not to eat. MP SHOD and Analogman PoT meet my needs just fine.

drifterphase likes this.
  8. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

what an ass

XISTH likes this.
  9. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Meh. I separate the art from the artist.
    FD2 and MDV-2 are cool. I had a problem with the vibe and they fixed it free, after the warranty expired.
    So there's that, fwiw.

10. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

He's known for being blunt. And also for making great stuff.

jmoose, Matt L and SG-Slinger like this.
  11. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

12. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I get the impression based solely on the volume of these threads that he’s a lot like my shut-in aunt who calls in to talk radio shows just to tell the hosts how stupid and unentertaining they are.

13. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

The more threads like this I read, the uglier my '69 and '70 Mk 2 pedals look.

Lt Dak, hookakat1 and moore_for_less like this.
  14. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Hmm, never interacted with him. I do really love the Fat Boost 3. Never had any problems with it and it's one of my favorite boosts ever. As long as it stays reliable, I guess I'm good being ignorant to all that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    jmoose likes this.
  15. motokev

motokev Member

Some people just think they are GOD ALMIGHTY; it's quite amazing.
    Where I live, there is this small guitar/luthier shop. The owner is a one man show doing sales and luthier. People praise his luthier skills. BUT, the man's people skills are beyond words. I would say he's 10x worse than this Fulltone guy.

This guy never sells anything in his store. It's been the same cheap crap for years. It's amazing he's still in business.

He actually has no problem telling you how wealthy he is.

16. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I'm missing something here: what is the connection between the video being removed and the pedal being scheduled for release a week later?

17. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Nobody smart is that busy. And if they are that busy - and constantly have negative customer interactions - there are plenty of people willing to handle that side of the business for not too much money. Personally I'm tired of hearing about numbnuts who are rude - take forever to deliver etc... IT seems like the gear business is resembling the Airline business.

stratadp, Snufkinoob, epauley and 2 others like this.
  18. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, I have no doubt that things would have been fine if I’d gotten somebody else on the phone that day or if he’d just happened to be in a better mood that day. But... eh... just not worth my time to worry about fulltone pedals. Not when Greer, JHS, Wampler, EQD, Walrus, Keeley, Analogman, Mythos, Paul C etc etc etc all exist.

stratadp and MoonshineMan like this.
  19. Crossfireblues

Crossfireblues Member

A friend of mine said he heard an ocd and was dying for the tone. I let him use mine. He quickly gave it back and said no thank you. I honestly would’ve given him another shot with this new pedal, but I’m glad I found out the hard way that he’s got an attitude. And just so everyone knows, I also sent him an email explaining just how much of an ass he is

20. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

Oh Gee Wiz...didn't know that Fulltone was on the TGP Zhit list, apparently equal to Gibson:confused...I love Fulltone pedals..at last count I think I have a dozen and each one is better than the last (Supa Trem 2 is incredible) ...I've been watching the for sale forum, and I haven't seen anything from Full or Gib for sale at protest prices..

Gaheba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.