My take on Song for John (Clarke/Corea)...just mixdown

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by gennation, Jun 12, 2006.

1. gennation

gennation Member

I recorded this over time. Since it was always recorded as a trio, I played all three instruments... in my case guitar, mandolin, and bass.

I'm using my 1976 Ovation for various mic'ed and direct parts, also a no-name mandolin a friend let me borrow, and my Ibanez $200 bass. Everything was recorded and post-mixed using Cool Edit.

Song for John

This tune has really been an inspiration to me over the last year or so. I hope I do the spirit of it justice.

Thanks in advance for listening.

2. scottl

scottl Member

Great job Mike! I really dug it. You have some great bass and mandolin chops too. I can't remember the specifics of the original. Were the solos you played transcribed or did you do your own? In any event, great feel and phrasing. Loved the Dimeola bits around 4:45.

(looks like I clicked the tune right as it was posted!)

Scott

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I don't know the original at all, so I don't know how faithful that was, but I thought the intro meandered a bit much for my taste, but once it started to move, it was just wonderful. Good playing and great feel. Good sounds too. The mix is super.

4. gennation

gennation Member

Thanks Scott. The original has a few different heads throughout, the Soli sections mainly. The rest is what I wrote for it, there's not too much improvisation on this peice.

Jim, the intro in the original is very 'free-from', maybe Rumba actually. Kind of like a warm up, or a tune-up for the song. So yes, it's loose. Then it plants it's feet and goes.

There's a couple original recording of Song For John. I believe it first appear on Stanley Clarkes Jounry To Love album. That recording featured Clarke, Corea, and Mclaughlin. The other studio recording of it is on the Rite of Strings album with Clarke, Ponty, and DiMeola.

Stanley wrote it as a tribute, but not an assimilation, to John Coltrane. But, I've seen Chick's name attached to different credits on it too.

Thanks for listening!

5. lhallam

lhallam Member

6. Jim Soloway

Thanks for the explanation. I've been listening to this sort of acoustic jazz (for lack of a better term) for about 30 years. Cut down the length of the intro a bit and it becomes music that I'd gladly pay money for.

7. gennation

gennation Member

That would make it Pop music then :)

Actually, now that I think of it...

It's titled...

Song for John I

and

Song for John II

It's two back to back takes on one theme/song.

The first one is a Rumba and the second one is very spirited.

If you get a chance to check out the originals, (Journey To Love) Mclaughlin used his original Shakti acoustic, and Corea is phenomenal. On the Rite of Strings version Stanley steps it up a bit more, and Ponty is spot on good.

So, can I interest you in buying two songs??? ;)

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I downloaded it. It's a keeper. :AOK I hope you don't mind.

9. Jim Soloway

Keep making music at this level and you can intertest me in buying an entire CD.

10. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

I'm only familiar with the Rite Of Strings version, but this is truly great stuff. I'm kind of with Jim in that I generally don't like ensemble rubato stuff like the beginning. I just felt that part was a little to long....but that's a personal taste thing - no indictment on the playing. When this locks into the groove it really just can't help but grab the listener. This is really, REALLY well done. Some of you out there might not know, but Mike (we go back, oh, twenty-some years?) is a wicked good rock guitarist who has always had this inner-Mahavishnu wanting to bust out! You remain an inspiration, bro!:AOK

11. gennation

gennation Member

Robert, no problem! You ought to check out the originals though...very inspiring stuff.

Jim, just having someone enjoy anything I play is better than selling it. Thanks for checking it out.

Jleurck, good to see you...I need to see more of you. I'll have to give you a call this week or weekend. I inquired about jazz lessons from a new local guy. After sending him some of my stuff he suggested we do a guitar duo thing or just work together in some capacity instead of lessons. It's been fun so far. Plus I got your emails, I have to reply to those. Talk to you soon.

Ian and I are going to see Frank Vignola tomorrow too :)

12. gennation

gennation Member

Any other listeners?

13. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

I missed this somehow.......Loved it.. real cool take on the tune and for what it is worth I dug the rubato section.....excellent work!

14. planetal

planetal Member

I've always loved this tune and this is a wonderful take on it.. Love the mandolin...

Al

15. gennation

gennation Member

Sud-D, thanks dude!

planetal, I'm glad to see someone else familiar with it. It's been quite and inspirational tune for me that gotten me back into modal music and sparks my interest in jazz theory again.

Thanks for listening and commenting guys!

16. R.D.

R.D. Member

Mr. D . . . ,

This very, very cool indeed ! A much different side of your playing than I've EVER heard . . . . :JAM

Glad to see you're still rippin it up after all these years :AOK

I happened by your website a few days ago and looked over your lessons. Suddenly I felt like it was 1988 all over again, and I was still in Caught in the Act !:dude

17. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Beautiful playing throughout! The mandolin really added nice textures to the piece. I think the mix turned out well also.

18. gennation

gennation Member

RD, you got my curiousity. Are you in any of those Caught in the Act videos with me? This is going to be good.

mavrick10 thanks for the comments. I was listening to it in the car yesterday and I wondered if the guitar solo's shouldn't be a tad louder. But I'm glad you commented on the mix, it's a little wider panned than I would normally go for but I thought each part set nice this way. Thanks for listening.

19. R.D.

R.D. Member

Well . . . , Ummmmm . . . . As a matter of fact, yes I am ! :eek:

I was the singer who couldn't pace himself and totally sang my voice out in . . . ( what was it ) a six song set ?!!? :jo Not once but two years in a row !

I haven't seen you since your kids were babies ( maybe 13 or 14 years ) .

I'm on the road right now ( stopped for a quick break ), so "PM" me later and give me your E-mail address I'd love to catch up !

Talk to you soon !

R.D. ( from WI, by way of MN and formerly from Detroit and Grand Rapids )

20. gennation

gennation Member

RD>>>>

OMG!!!

Dude I have look for you on the Internet SO many times trying to find you. AMAZING that I run into you here.

I will PM you for sure. We have a lot to catch up on. yippeeee