MY TGP Experience (What I've learned from TGP)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tim10888, Jul 19, 2008.

1. tim10888

tim10888 Member

Hi, I would like to share a story with you guys.

Two years ago, I was an Asian dude who knew nothing about effect pedals (Of course I am still an Asian dude, but I could barely speak or write English). The only brands I knew were Boss, Digitech, Ibanez and Eletro-Harmonix. I had never heard of any boutique pedals. The only pedals I owned were the Boss SD-1, the Digitech Death Metal (I thought it was the most badass distortion), the Marshall Guv’Nor reissue and the Big Muff reissue. As you can see, I only owned distortion pedals. Overdrive/Distortion was the only kind of pedals I knew. Of course I had heard of other types of effects like delay and chorus but I didn’t know how they sound like. But one day I happened to find TGP. The first thread I read was the “Your pedalboard, post your photos” thread. It was really an eye-opener. I couldn’t understand why you guys had so many pedals and why you guys need that many pedals. I could only recognize the Ibanez Tube screamers, the Boss pedals, the EH pedals and some other well known stuff yet I really enjoyed reading the thread. I started visiting TSP regularly from that day. I must say that have learned A LOT!! Now I know how analog delay sounds like, what silicon and germanium transistors are, why people are pissed if their pedals are not true-bypass, and who Anglog Mike is.... I was brought to a whole new world! I would like to thank you guys for sharing all your knowledge and ideas of effect pedals. I know that I still have a lot to learn but I am always willing to learn!

So, what pedals do I use now? First of all, I got rid of the Digitech Death Metal. I use a Keeley Rat, a Huckleberry fuzz, a Line 6 Verbzilla, a volume pedal, a Carbon Copy and an E-bow. I planned to get the Lovepedal Karl fuzz, the Xotic RC booster, the Death by audio Supersonic fuzz gun, the Timefactor, the sugar baby tremolo and the loop master. I think these are good enough for me….

Thanks for reading the story!

Tim

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. Teahead

Teahead Member

Great story, thanks for sharing. I remember well when I didn't know an SD1 from a DS1, or when my wah squealed because I plugged input and output in reverse. There is no going back!

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Indeed a great story! I'm glad that you now know to differentiate between all those effects and that you're digging your sound more and more! I was very similar to you when I came here, except I'd already heard of ZVex :rolleyes: Man, you should of seen my signal chain back then. hahaha- it was something like guitar->chorus->wah->delay->OD->fuzz->phase. hahaha. Welcome!

4. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

awesome! TGP is teaching people english! I also have learned a ton here, is a good thing.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I forgot how much TGP is actually a part of my life.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Your story is similar to a lot of others here as well. Welcome...and good move on the ToneFactor/Mojo Hand.

7. Jaradc

Jaradc Member

Thats like a mirror image of me, hah. Now i cant stop buying pedals...I try but i cant.

:(

8. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Are you still Asian? Or...Still a dude at least?

9. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I had the same experience a few years ago. Never looked back and now I'm starting to introduce my jamming buddies into the "boutique world". This seriously is a great place and I'm so glad I found it. I would still be shredding on the Metal Zone if it weren't for TGP. :worried

10. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I drank the kool aid too and now I'm poor. It's fun though.

11. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

:roll

Man I hate that pedal. I still own it (I have a hard time getting rid of pedals)...every now and then it gets some respect from some posters on here on best cheap pedals threads.

Original Poster - Awesome story!!! Glad to have you here.

12. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Ah the Metalzone - a true "bypass" pedal. Usually you use it during your passing phases of searching for a heavy metal pedal :)

13. tim10888

tim10888 Member

Thanks a lot Steve!

Maybe I shouldn't use the world "barely". Sorry guys! It's a bit exaggerative. But seriously I used to make a lot of grammatical mistakes and I pronounced many words incorrectly. For example, I didn't know how to pronounce words like "Flanger", "Octave", "Tremolo"

That's why I think I could barely speak or write English.

Tim

14. tim10888

tim10888 Member

15. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER Member

thanks for sharing, that was inspiring.