My thoughts on having an eBay purchase cancelled...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MisterTV, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

First of all, the stakes involved here are very low... this is all about a $25 guitar strap purchase that the seller cancelled the next day. But it still bugs me.

Apparently the seller has up to 10 days to refund my money. It got me thinking - is this just some stupid way for him to get a free short-term “loan” and add some bucks to a PayPal account for a few days?

Absent some kind of explanation from the seller or seeing my money refunded immediately, I can’t offer up the benefit of the doubt. Is this a thing or am I making up a conspiracy?

2. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Its possible. I have pretty much steered clear of eBay over the past few years and almost exclusively buy from Reverb or Amazon or a local shop now for all my stuff.

The fees are high as a seller.. the customer "service" is non-existant.. and PayPal/eBay relations just make for a whole lot of passing the buck on so many issues. I've had to file more claims with eBay/PayPal than any other website since I started buying stuff online.

Anyway hopefully its an honest mistake - but these days nothing would surprise me.

el capitan likes this.
  4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

If it's a commercial seller, it's more likely they simply didn't have the stock when they came to pack it up so they just cancelled the sale. Bad etiquette not to send an apology, and a good sales person should really be trying to save the sale by offering an alternative, but nowadays it seems to be all about volume rather than service.

If it's an individual, all bets are off, and it might be now down to people are strange than any tactic. If I are doing the scam you suggest a guitar strap seems like a peculiar option to do it on though - you'd want it to be a too good to be true bargain that someone would jump on immediately it's listed, then you can take your time refunding due to a 'listing error'.

monty and David Garner like this.
  5. Peteyforto

Peteyforto Member

Sometimes I think that sellers have items for sale on different sites at the same time. When it sells on one site they just forget to take it down from the other. it could be as simple as that.

Phil M and monty like this.
  6. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I too stopped buying gear on ebay and Reverb. Since dealing with Sweetwater I have not looked any further for my basic guitar needs. Now that's a company that cares about customer service! If I ever go back to buying rare boutique/vintage gear again then I'll have to look elsewhere. But highly doubt that will happen.

coldengray, baiff and time2kill like this.
  7. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

a "free short term loan" for $25 bucks? lol kinda doubt that strategy. Maybe something happened to the strap that required him to cancel the deal. Maybe his dog chewed it or his cat peed on it, or his kid drug it thru the back yard mud, or some local person ended up buying it, saving him the process of shipping.
    I'd move on and forget it.

Devnor, el capitan, jcj and 7 others like this.
  8. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I bought a pickup from a seller on reverb.com. Next day I got a message saying he was out of stock on that pickup and would refund my money. Funny he still had several of that same pickup for sale on ebay. I asked him if he had the pickup in perhaps another color (zebra for example), No reply. Also funny is if you buy something they can take your money immediately, but your refund can take a week. Why is that? I want my money back right now also.

monty likes this.
  9. MusicalMan

MusicalMan Member

Hi OP,

Whenever I decide to spend bucks on Reverb - or any online entity - I make sure I can communicate with the seller all the time. It's the best I can do to give myself some confidence on a potential purchase. Not always a guarantee that an issue can be averted, but at least I have some communication to know what to expect.

I did a Music Go Round purchase one time for a pedal, and that day a customer came in to their store location and bought it before I did online. I was initially charged, then of course, refunded, but it took a week to get the funds back. These things happen. But in my case, I received communication telling me of this issue whereas your situation you haven't a clue what's going on.

Good luck and hopefully not a big deal arises from all of this.

10. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Wow, that is a REALLY huge reach. It would've been nice for them to provide an explanation, but it could be as simple as the item no longer being in stock and the seller forgetting/neglecting to take the listing down. It sucks and it's annoying, but there's no worldwide conspiracy here to get an interest free loan of a whole $25 :rotflmao. C'mon now...

11. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I bought a cheap Chinese guitar off ebay two days ago.

Yesterday, the seller tells me "quality was bad" and they must refund my money.

Yet they still have at least 3 of them listed currently.

Cant figure that one out.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Member

I don't know why the seller cancelled, but trying to make money by having your $25 in his hands for 10 days seems like it offers financial returns well behind panhandling, looking for change in the gutter, and returning aluminum cans for the deposit.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Markdude, massacre and Astronaut FX like this.
  13. wox

wox Supporting Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say you've already wasted enough emotion and brain power on a guitar strap you didn't get to buy and lost no money on it.

Damnit. Now I've wasted brain power on it, too. Must... get... out.

coldengray and Astronaut FX like this.
  14. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Not likely. Hope you are not losing sleep over it:anon

15. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

The seller probably had it posted on a few different sell sites. It sold to someone else and they didn't manage to get it down before you hit buy it now. It happens. They're probably not borrowing your money. Don't forget millions of people are looking at the same item you are, potentially on several sites.

16. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Could be a million things. Report them and don't give it any more thought, because all you or anyone here is doing is making suspicious and disrespectful guesses about a situation about which you know nothing. If the rules say he has 10 days to refund, then it's not up to you to decide he shouldn't. Report the cancellation and if it's a pattern or suspicious, someone who has facts that you do not will decide that. Of course, if you don't get the refund on time, it's hammer time.

17. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

Bought a pedal on Reverb Monday. Got instantly refunded. Lost box and scratch was reason given. Won’t get the refund until Monday. Looked at sold listings to see how often this particular item shows up. Saw two sold listings from two other sellers all three sellers different, three different states. All same pics.

18. lessthan12

lessthan12 Member

I'm an amateur picker and have been selling on ebay. Haven't run into any issues and have perfect feedback thus far but I have had to refund a few sales. As thorough as I am checking something before listing I usually do a second check as Im packing something up just to make sure I haven't missed anything and a few times I caught something that I hadn't noticed the first time. (BTW, not guitar stuff, mainly comics and collectibles etc etc Selling guitar stuff is much easier in my experience)
    Anyways, I have perfect feedback wether it be on the forums here, reverb, ebay etc and for a reason. I try to be as accurate and thorough as possible but Im only human. The few things I have caught the buyers got a detailed description of what happened and an explanation that Id rather be honest than send something other than described. They were very understanding and happy that I was being honest.

19. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

The seller may have cancelled because he was too busy saving lives to ship it.

Suave Eddie likes this.
  20. data_null

data_null Member

There are many legitimate reasons they may have needed to cancel the sale. Earning a measly amount of interest off of $25 is not one of them.

As far as "reporting" them, well that's just a childish response that serves no purpose. You didn't get the strap, move on and buy it elsewhere.

woof* likes this.