My thoughts on my new D'Pergo,....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Guitar Slinger6, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Well I have had my D'Pergo AVC a few months now and have got to spend some time playing it. So I figured I would take a few minutes and and give some of my thoughts on my newest guitar. As I said it is a AVC with a few added options, water recovered one piece Ash body and a water recovered maple neck with an upgraded electronics package (don't know what that means).

Here is what I think of it, it is not magical and it does not play itself. It does not have only mystical tones. It does have a great feel and balance when you hold it, the entire guitar is just under 7lbs but the neck is just as light feeling. The guitar just has an amazing balanced feel overall, very, very comfortable. It does play really well with some very nice action that feels very comfortable. The neck feels like it was made for me (oh yeah ;)) it is a very easy to play when you are bending or just running thru some modes, smooth is how I would describe it, very smooth. The pick ups are underwound with some very nice tones, the best way I can describe them is capable. I don't mean capable as in doing a job, but rather capable of really doing what you need them to do. As good as the player is they can be. I have other guitars that I would consider to be really good, but they have limitations. I have a guitar for a mellow feel and is very articulate, I have another that can hang with some faster playing that brings a big heart. This guitar is capable of both, very articulate with a lot of heart. It is capable of some incredible tone depending of the skill of the guitarist, it won't make you a better guitarist, but it will allow you more freedom to just play. I really like the guitar a lot, my favorite that I have owned. Very responsive guitar that is capable of what the guitarist is capable of. That is the best way I know of to descibe it. I will ofcourse have clips in the near future.

2. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Great review! Any pics?

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I look forward to your clips (you sound good whatever the guitar).

Best, Pete.

4. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

No pics yet, you think if I can figure out how to post songs I could learn to post pics.

5. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your encouragement!

6. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

That's could well be the most thoughtful review I've ever read.

8. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thank you,...

9. trucks

trucks Member

When truth be told, it is hard to imagine a guitar being more than what you describe. My own take on guitars is the best ones don't hold you back. I certainly don't want a guitar that plays itself. What is the fun in that?

I look forward to seeing it and hearing more of your playing. I am a fan of your playing. Congratulations.

10. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

LOVE the tone in that clip. Thanks for that and the even keeled review.

11. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I had the choice between the D'Pergo or an original '68 Strat, I went with the D'Pergo. I made the right choice, I love this guitar.

I appreciate the kind words about my playing, thank you.

12. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thank you, I try keep things honest.

13. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

Hiya GS6, congratulations on your new D'Pergo!

That was a great review. As always, looking forward to your clips.:beer

Personally, I'd be a bit intimidated having an end-of-the-road quality guitar like that. I'd be all out of excuses for my bad playing!

14. mrfender

mrfender Gold Supporting Member

I have your guitar's twin brother, or is it sister? Our guitars where built and finished at about the same time. Only difference is mine is the AVCL in Sea Jade Green. I agree with your review of the instrument. I could not be happier.

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Congrats on finding a great guitar and also on having a clear-eyed appreciation for what you found. Play it most excellently, GS6!

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

would this be yr guitar?

[​IMG]

i do like the color!

dt / spltrcl

17. 5150gtrmonkey

5150gtrmonkey Member

Thanks for the sound clip; very beautiful tone and tasteful playing. And also thanks for a very nice review. It's seems very objective which is always nice to read. Really glad you found a guitar that really grabs you. It must be if you chose it over a real 68! :aok

18. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

19. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

So we are related through good taste. :aok i almost went for the full upgrade to AVCL, but with what I was looking for Stefan was confident the AVC would do the trick. Take a listen to my clip I posted and tell me how close they are. I was curious of how much more yours is trasparent.

20. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

Thank you!