My top 5 Guitar Players (In no particular order)...And Yours?

bard2dbone

This would get weird FAST for me. Let's see:

Vaughn for sure. St. Stevie was alleged by my Grandmother to be some kind of cousin. But he's far enough over on the famioly tree that even if I counted him, he wouldn't count me, I'm sure.

Lifeson definitely. My first serious band started as essentially a Rush Tribute band before the concept of tribute bands existed. We just learned everything we could of theirs because they were THAT good. I wish I could sing while playing like Geddy. But nowadays I can't really even play like Geddy anymore. Something happens when you get old and employedd and stop playing for three or four hours every day.

Summers would have to go there. I spent a LONG time coaching the guitar player in that same band I just mentioned to use his guitar to fill space and create a mood, rather than just play a pattern. Andy and the Edge were the two examples I used the most to demonstrate what we needed.

Gilmour for the tone. Once I started playing enough guitar to do the parts myself I suddenly noticed how much so many of the parts I wrote were direct rip-offs of Pink Floyd. I never meant to steal his parts. But I did so very much want to sound like him.

But only one spot left...Hmmmmmmmmmm. Should it be DiMeola from my fusion phase? Haynes and/or Trucks because what I WISH I could sound like now is suspiciously like current Allmanns? Duane and/or Dickey because I also love old Allmanns? Knopfler because I'm mostly a fingerpicker and nobody in rock did that better than him?Eric Johnson for the "100 pound violin" tone? Hendrix because, well... HENDRIX?

I can't decide.

Last edited:
1) jimmy page
2) the edge
3) angus/malcolm young
4)jerry cantrell
5)adam jones

6)bob mould
7) alex lifeson
8) ted nugent
9)tony iommy
10)tom scholz

Palladio

Platinum Supporting Member
Well there are so many I don't even know where to start. Of course there are the ones well known to the general public like Hendrix, Page, Keef, SRV, EVH... but a few that have inspired me personally are:

Robert Quine
J Mascis
Freddie King
Grant Green
Joe Walsh

Then there are ones that just blow my mind in terms of taking guitar and music in general in their own direction such as:

Ry Cooder
Jimmy Hendrix
George Benson
Michael Hedges
Jeff Beck

And then there is Frank Zappa....this is too hard!

Last edited:

Balok

Jason Becker
Doug Rappoport (plays for Edgar Winter)
Rafael Moreira (Rockstar Supernova house band, the Voice, many big acts)
Brent Mason
Joe Pass

V-Type

Sorry but even a top 10 is a hard list for me.
There are a lot of Great players that have come and gone.

Paul Kossoff
Randy Rhoads
Tony Iommi
EVH
Gary Moore
Trower
Hendrix
Frank Marino
Rory
Alex Lifeson

Pick any 5 and I wont argue

Cary Chilton