my trip to callaham guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by va blues, Feb 17, 2006.

1. va blues

va blues Member

i always enjoy reading the forum .but have never posted.i wanted to try a set of fralin tele pups.since i live near callaham guitars i called to see if i could pick them up.they said they do not take walk ins ,but would make a exception.i was really impressed with all the work going on and how helpfull they were. i could tell they were busy and felt in the way. as i was leaving ,i asked bill about a different jack cup for my 52 reissue,which always comes loose. he suggested a electrosocket.i wanted somthing that looked like the milled cups.he said they would bust the finish off the body in a big way.bill asked if i had my guitar with me,and to bring it in.he stopped what he was doing and took some measurments with what he said was a mike.he then called his machine shop supervisor "Tex" to look at the measurments.tex went to what i think was a lathe,i tried to watch but did not want to get in the way and in about 20 min. i had a new jack cup made from what they said was stainless steel.this really blew me away that they would stop what they were doing to make me somthing from scratch. he charged me 25.00 and i gave him 30.00 cant say enough nice things about all the people at callaham guitars.well im off to install my new pups.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

That is really cool to hear. All my dealings with Callaham Guitars have been very positive

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I've got Callaham's blocks in my strats; good stuff.

4. will132

will132 Member

Did you see my guitar there? He said the body was finished and the neck was blanked out and should be done soon...of course that was August of last year :rolleyes:

Jim

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Cool, I always wondered if anybody had ever been in there :) Might give them a call next time I'm out that way!

--chiba

6. v-verb

v-verb Member

Did you try any of his amps? I love my Callaham EL84R

7. va blues

va blues Member

There are guitars in all various stages of completion.I mainley looked at the finished bodies.Lots blondes and sunburst.Although there was a candy apple red tele that was way cool. I did not try out a amp or even play a guitar.I think the only reason I got in was because I had preveiously purchased a bridge with compensated saddles and I live close and wanted to avoid shipping charges. Anyway for those who care I am really happy with the fralin pups I got also.I do think I need to learn how to solder better.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've got one now on my '52 RI. Should have gotten it years ago. Who cares whether it looks vintagey or not, the damn thing works as advertised. I'll never replace it.

9. will132

will132 Member

Yep, one of those blondes is mine. Hope to have in the next few months, at least by the end of the year.

Jim

10. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

That's incredible that they custm milled a cup for your guitar!

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

Isn't America just a great country! With businessmen like this, how can we go wrong!

12. will132

will132 Member

Bill replied right back to my email asking the status of the guitar. Sounds like he is keeping pretty busy with the parts end of things.

13. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

If we could only get FEMA to work like that

14. dhbill

dhbill Guest

Here is a pic of my Callaham S Model. I had a hard time getting him to do the flame maple top but it was well worth the trouble. This guitar has more quality in workmanship than anything I have seen. I own a number of upper end guitars and this is by far the best looking and sound one of the bunch.
    [​IMG]

Sorry but my pics did not work. Anyone interested in seeing them can e-mail me at bbta@pa.net

15. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

Bill has superb customer service!! Got my first block from him about 7-8 yrs ago (before they were popular). Bill aimes to please.

16. omarxx

omarxx Supporting Member

Does he have his own headstock design or might he expect a "Cease and Desist"?

17. badcat_dk

badcat_dk Member

The candy apple red t-model is mine :cool:

18. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I've had one of Bill's Teles for a few years now and it sounds better every gig. It's my favorite guitar over anything I've ever had in my hands (and I ran a guitar store for a time). I'd kill to have one of his Strats but just can't afford one in this pitiful economy. The wait was long but well worth it.

19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'll try to put this as delicately as I can.

I would wager Mr. Callaham has seen instances where folks away from his shop engaged in a little "operator error" and that is the crux reason why he does not offer a cool machined jack cup in part form to the general public. As long as the guitar is in his shop and under his supervision, the risk is well controlled. I've installed at least 30 of the Glendale variety and yes, you and I can get it in there without chipping the finish but the next guy behind the tree can't. The next guy behind the tree gets it going sideways and tries to pry it out with a screwdriver. Ding!

I would love to see Mr. Callaham come out with a billet replacement for the Strat jack plate. Wow, would that be cool!

20. DC1

DC1 Member

You should ask him. Bet they would do it.

dc