My Tubescreamer/Paisley Drive Dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cap217, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I love the TS sound so I wanted 2 pedals on my board that were TS style.

I have a HW TS808, 1984 TS9 w Keeley +Mod, and a Paisley drive. Now I only am keeping 2 of them. I had the HW TS808 and the Paisley but I added the TS9 to see if I liked it better than the Paisley and I think I might.

Why? The Paisley should be my answer and give me some other options right? Well I find it nasly or harsh or solid state crate like in the hi-end distortion/OD sound of it. The mid range is compressed and mushy and the low end just doesnt cut it for me.

I hate to have 2 TS9 and TS808 on my board but the HW 808 is more low gain boost and the TS9 can do the higher gain TS stuff.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. teleman55

teleman55 Member

If you want two different Tubescreamer type pedals on your board, try a Tubescreamer (TS9 or TS808, or Maxon, your choice) paired with a Boss SD1 (very similar but with assymetrical clipping).

3. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

I've got a Keeley modded 4x TS9 and a Paisley Drive and I agree with what you are saying...the Keeley mod is way open, clear and uncompressed...Paisley not so much...I feel like the modded TS9 is like breathing outdoor fresh mountain air and the Paisley is breathing air inside a closed closet...it's not horrible but the TS9 is so clear and unrestricted...decisions, decisions...

4. briankp7

briankp7 Supporting Member

I normally tell people that when you have the paisley drive use it at low gain for more of just a tone not necessarily a drive and when you want to kick it in use a TS style pedal or whatever your flavor of overdrive may be. I like the Paisley drive but yes at higher gain levels not so much.

5. steve440

steve440 Member

Try a boost in front of the keeley ts9 for more drive

6. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I have a boost on there.

7. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

8. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

I found the Paisley to be the same. It has a VERY small sweet spot for me. It's gone!

9. mojotele65

mojotele65 Member

Mee too.

10. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

Ever try a MJM Phantom? Its my fav TS because it has the toggle that can switch between classic 808 and a modded 808 with more gain and low end. So it can fill more than one role.

11. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I mesed with the paisley drive again today with both TS on my board. I put the presence toggle down and the other straight up and everything else at noon and it sounds like a good pedal this way. A lot different without the mid push. Now I am just confused but at least I find it useable again.

12. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

That's the way I was using mine and it does have more cut that way. I found that the Barber Unltd. put out a more balanced type of tone for my needs, smoother highs with some good bass.

13. drolling

drolling Member

An old MJM Blues Devil's been my favorite TS clone for years. Couldn't figure why he'd change the name of his flagship pedal, but that switch is a new feature, and one that I'd somehow missed in all the discussions here. Now I've gotta try one!

Getting back to the OP; Tho' it's not exactly TGP approved, many players (myself included) have 'stacked' tubescreamers on their boards - I got the idea from Brian Setzer, who's not exactly know for high-gain tones

I'd just keep the two that have the most flexible EQ circuitry and the lowest noise floor - The second point's only an issue if you're runnin' em in series with lotsa gain. Some combinations produce more hum & buzz than others

14. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Maxon OD9 pro + is the way to go for a second TS pedal; the internal 9v -> 18v conversion, the midboost switch, the extra openness... really compliments a straight-up 808 pedal.