1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

My turn to whore: Edwards LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EunosFD, Jan 26, 2006.

1. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

She just arrived in the mail this afternoon & so far it more than lives up to the hype. I've played more than my fair share of LP's over the years; everything from a pair of real 58's, every variant of GT, Jr's, Specials, Recording, you name it. This Edwards is up there with the best of 'em. No joke! Granted, it never will quite have the appeal of the "real deal", but I personally don't really care about that too much anymore. A great quality guitar at a fantastic price? Sign me up! Admittedly it's not the best LP I've ever played (there was this amazing Heritage 80 that I let slip away back in the early 90's that, to-date, was "the" LP for me :jo ), but it's easily a top contender & price-wise there is no competition. Once I get more playing time with her I'll give a better write-up. It's strung with 9's I think so it's like playing with rubber bands (my Strat gets 11's or 12's). Anyway, here's a few quick pics I snapped for what it's worth (along with a few pics of my real CS Strat :p) :

http://community.webshots.com/album/473711002WinYrl

2. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Very Cool! Is that the "Jimmy Page" version? How do the stock pups sound?

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

coool i been eyeing oneof those...how much they cost? where is the best place to get one...

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

The "stock" pickups are a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a '59 Model in the neck.

Fantastic guitars!

Chris

5. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm really impressed how well these pickups are balanced with each other. The Custom is sortof a hotter JB I believe and it's the first guitar I've played with one in it. It def gets the tubes in my Peavey Valverb percolating pretty good even at low volume. It does the same just going straight into my BMRI too & sounds damn nice even w/o the reverb from the Valverb.

fewmm: This is sorta the JP version, but I got it w/o the Super Circuit. So, it's just wired like a regular ol' LP guitar. Unlike Chris' which has the 4 push/pull pots for coil splitting, in/out phase, series/parallel. I kinda wanted the Super Circuit at first, but I already have a fantastic CS Strat to get those funky, skanky single coil sounds. Otherwise it's the same guitar physically.

guitarplayaman: Well, I got mine through Ishibashi online (www.ishibashi.co.jp) , but they can be found on eBay as well. The one seller on there that sells a lot of Edwards is "mijsixstringkatana" (I think that's correct). He usually has quite a few Edwards guitars for sale at any given time (plus many CIJ Fenders too) & as far as I can tell he's great seller.

My only gripe thus far is that the neck is a bit smaller than I had hoped for. I have pretty big hands & subsequently like a big ol' neck, but have been living with my small-ish (to me) Strat neck for many years so it's no biggie. The LP's neck is bigger though so it's still nice. It's supposed to rain here most of this weekend so I know what I'll be doing a lot. :D

6. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

thanks for the reply...going to have to getz me one o dem fiddles

7. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

looks like a nice piece and if the price is right :D

just bought an agile and im in love with it. best 350 ive ever spent.

also looking at tokie (sp?)

8. Wedgie

Wedgie Member

Glad to see you like your new Edwards. I'm in the internal struggle phase of pulling the trigger on one of these myself. Well, Ok I want it, but my audit committee (AKA spouse) doesn't think I need another guitar. I should have it sold internally in a few days though (pray!).

Your positive comments along with Chris' earlier postings now have me convinced I HAVE to have one!

9. AlexF

AlexF Member

I keep singing the praises of these on this board. I have had 3 REALLY great les pauls down through all the years, all the others have been 'the crowd', my current Edwards is one of the three, I cant say fairer than that.
    Al

10. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I looked all over that site and can't find edwards on there......

11. telest

telest Member

Me too, kinda tough to navigate. :crazy

Steve

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

If ya'll are talking about Ishibashi's site then you probably won't find Edwards on there as I don't believe they technically carry Edwards guitars, but I could be wrong. They can pretty much order anything so e-mailing them is the best way to get the most pertinent info. Now, as far as checking out the Edwards models the best places I've found to look are:

Ikebe (another Japanese music store chain): www.ikebe-gakki.com

Digimart: www.digimart.net

J-Guitar: www.j-guitar.com

All are relatively simple to navigate and all will have a lot more to look at than the actual Edwards site itself. They make quite a few different models that aren't shown on the "official" site, but they usually show up on the above listed sites.

13. telest

telest Member

Thanks for the info, because I'm in the market for a decent budget type LP.

Steve

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Don't rule out the Tradition S2000. Those guys offer some real nice guitars at great prices.

www.traditionguitars.com

15. telest

telest Member

Thanks, will check these out too.

Steve

16. tdu

tdu Member

I have been contemplating getting one of the Edwards LP Specials for weeks now. I am worried about what the taxs and duty are going to add up to when it gets here though. Plus I can't find out from Ishabashi what shipping method they use to ship to Canada (that would at least let me know if I will get nailed with brokerage fees).

17. rick66

rick66 Member

ok, i'll add my $.02

got an edwards page relic from a fellow forumite last week. all i can say is wow. just too much fun to play. nice slim neck, excellent attention to detail, straplocks, etc. the binding is beautiful and the guitar looks great. great deal for the money. and this one's a keeper.

18. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Bought a guitar from Japan a few months back. There were no duties or taxes (at least to the USA) and they shipped via EMS.

19. tdu

tdu Member

I have heard you guys don't pay duty importing from Japan. I have heard we pay 6% though.

Also, your EMS agent is USPS so you don't have to worry about brokerage fees. I believe our EMS agent is one of the couriers. Which is trouble when it comes to importing and fees.

20. dogfood

dogfood Member

I bought an S2000 from Tradition. I get happier with the purchace every time I play it. I was a bit worried about the quality of the guitar as I ordered mine hoping that the quality would match the Traditions in the show room. It matched the quality and then some. Note: it came with shielding paint in the electronics area, nice touch.

accurate pic of color-honeyburst

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/natesecaur123/Picture028.jpg

headstock

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/natesecaur123/Picture003.jpg

flame top, my guess is that even though it has a respectable slab of maple this may by veneer

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/natesecaur123/Picture022.jpg