My two favorite, can't miss workhorse gigging 1x12 combo amps are.....

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
Greetings, gents. Having gigged with various non-boutique combo amps over the years, including Mesa, Blackstar, Bugera, Marshall, and a few different Fenders, my two favorite, can't miss 1x12 combos are a Marshall DSL40 (w/Creamback) and the tried and true HRD. I more recently acquired the DSL40 and really, rally like gigging with it. I've also gigged with various heads/cabs but getting to old (but wiser?) to lug 100-watt heads and 4x12's in and out of venues, although I do love how they sound. Besides, a lot of venues prefer smaller iron. Anyway, I don't have the coin to wade into the boutique amp pool anyway so relegated to the commoner, lesser expensive stuff. One of these days maybe. So instead of enjoying a chardonnay with a Two Rock I enjoy a Schlitz with my Fender or Marshall. :) Kidding aside, the DSL40 and HRD are terrific gigging amps and wondering what you guys like to use?

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't used a DSL40, but I've played through a DSL100 and 4x12 twice and loved it. The HRD gets used around here a lot. I mean a whole lot. I haven't yet heard one that gets bad tone. Great gigging amp.

My main gigging amps are my Ceriatone 18 Watt clone and my Vox AC30cc2 with UK Blues. Which one I use depends on the gig, but the Marshall gets used the most by far. I've also used a Mesa Express 5:25 1x12, a 1985 Fender Concert and an Oldfield Club D'Lux (Deluxe Reverb clone). Of those, I still own the Oldfield, but I don't gig it much anymore. I prefer Brit toned amps for the stuff my band plays.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't used a DSL40, but I've played through a DSL100 and 4x12 twice and loved it. The HRD gets used around here a lot. I mean a whole lot. I haven't yet heard one that gets bad tone. Great gigging amp.

My main gigging amps are my Ceriatone 18 Watt clone and my Vox AC30cc2 with UK Blues. Which one I use depends on the gig, but the Marshall gets used the most by far. I've also used a Mesa Express 5:25 1x12, a 1985 Fender Concert and an Oldfield Club D'Lux (Deluxe Reverb clone). Of those, I still own the Oldfield, but I don't gig it much anymore. I prefer Brit toned amps for the stuff my band plays.
We played a large, outdoor festival a few years ago and the backline included a DSL100 and 4x12 and sounded great. It was nice having the opportunity to crank it up little. Also available was a JCM900 but opted for the DSL.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
No shame in a straight ahead Deluxe Reverb

A trusty 5e3 is also a solid choice, but that seems to be relegated to the clone/boutique world.

Honorable mention to a stock AC15c1. Nice compliment in a 2 amp rig.

ripgtr

No shame in a straight ahead Deluxe Reverb
A trusty 5e3 is also a solid choice, but that seems to be relegated to the clone/boutique world
I gigged the heck out of my SFDR, still use it when I do gig.
I also used my 5e3 a lot too. Often used both in dif combinations.

I have a power station now, can add a speaker to the DR and cover all sorts of stuff now with that rig. I was actually thinking about a middle amp, VR or super, but don't think I need that now.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
For grins, here's the DSL and 4x12 I used at that big festival. I miss those BFG's :(:

ziess

Can't go wrong with a simple 6G3. Mine is a '62.

Honourable mention to my 5E3.

Tommy.

Telechamp

Have to agree on the Deluxe Reverb and the Vox AC15C1. Both great for gigging.

I use both of mine for gigs and jams. I do take the Deluxe Reverb out more, though - simply due to the weight. It's a lot lighter than the Vox..

(I recently sold my Hot Rod Deluxe - And to be honest, I kind of regret getting rid of it.. I was kind of on the fence with it, but I probably should have kept it - for those loud Fender cleans. It played great with pedals, as well..)

Last edited:

picnic

I gigged all these amps lots of times.
mesa lonestar special
DRRI
Fargen Epic 30/15
Peavey Classic 30
Fender BJ
Single or hums, doesn't matter. After all the amps I've been through, these keep me happy

Trending Topics