My Ultimate Delay/Slap Back pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jules6120, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

After trying and owning too many delay pedals searching for that "Tape Echo" slap back sound, I finally got my Chandler SDE rack mounted unit made into a pedal...

The guy that did it for me said it was a fairly easy exercise and used a Hammond Enclosure. I did the graphics and painted the box which turned out "OK" although if I did it again it would be a lot better!

I also own a Fulltone TTE, WEM Copicat and a bunch of other stuff.

The Chandler has a warm full sound that, to me, sits really well with a band although it cuts through and doesn't get lost like some of the other stuff I own used to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

3. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Great looking board and very nice idea. How does it sit with the tape echo? What are its power requirements?
    How would you compare it to an old ad9 which is my fav for slap back?

4. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

It is 9v.
    I have a Maxon AD999 which I used for a while. I would say the Chandler is probably a cross between the Maxon AD999 and a Memory Man (I used that for a while too). The unit is very quiet, a friend of mine described the repeats as feeling like they are "floating" which sums it up pretty well. Big, round and warm... great for Rockabilly stuff.

BTW GigPig I love my Loopy2 - it's a great!

5. wlalpaugh

wlalpaugh Silver Supporting Member

Jules6120
    Where would I find info on your Chandler delay?
    Thanks,
    Walt

6. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

Walt,

I just checked and there is one on EBay now, however they seem to come up quite often.

Anyone good pedal tech should be able to build one into a enclosure for you. The guy that did it for me is in Perth, Western Australia. As I said he used a Hammond enclosure which cost a few dollars. The only modification I got him to do was put (not sure if this is the correct term) a "tripper" on the power supply as I had read on the Gear Page a few times that the Chandler's had a tendency to blow if the incorrect voltage was applied to them.

The insides of the chandler are pretty spartan so it was not hard to fit the components into the box.

I also just found this Guitar Player ad from 1993 which is what got me interested in the unit in the first place (Huge Danny Gatton Fan...)

[​IMG]

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

That's great. You've mentioned two of my favourite delays so guess i'll go on the hunt. At least it comes in a rack mount so may be able to convince my wife it's for something else. The rockabilly delay sound is surprisingly tricky to get right if you're not using tape.
    Great stuff!

8. burner

burner Member

That's a great idea and a very nice job!
    I've always liked the chandler echos.

9. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I have to bump this. It is a very cool idea. I would love to hear an update on this pedal after a year+ later since the thread was started.

Are you still using this for your delay? Would you happen to have a picture of the inside of your pedal? What size/model number is the Hammond box you used? I have a rack mount version I purchased brand new, and this idea has always been in the back of my mind.

Thanks,
    Jonathan