My Valco Guitar Collection

valcoholic57

Here are some pics of my assortment of Valcos I currently have.

From left to right:

1957 National Town and Country
1963 Airline Town and Country
1964 Supro Suprosonic
1965 Supro Pocketbass

(Sorry for the quality of the images my basement is dim and I had to use the iPad.)

All of them are really outstanding instruments in their own right.

The National is definitely my favorite of the bunch. It has such a unique/amazing neck profile. A soft v that sort of rounds out as you get higher on the register. Action is very easy playing, bends are a breeze. The tone is everything from chicken picking twang to all out rock n roll machine.

The Airline is another good player. It has a fat neck and wide fingerboard, but still really comfortable to my hands. The tone is similar to the national's but not as much punch; a bit darker than the national as well.

The Suprosonic is an incredible player. Really nice thin neck ith super smooth low action. The vibrato bridge on this thing is such a unique design but is truly incredible. You can dive bomb on this thing and it will bounce back in tune; a really useful, nice feature.

The pocketbass is just awesome as well. Such an easy playing bass as it is a guitar scale length. The neck pickup is nice and thick, warm, think Dear prudence. The "silver sound" pickup in the bridge (which is often referred to as a piezo but it is not one) gives you a unique, sort of hollow, standup bass quality tone.

Something tells me I'm not quite finished yet:stir

valcoholic57

That Suprosonic is just too cool!
It is a VERY cool guitar. It doesn't push amps hard and when it does start to push, it has a very good overdriven sound. Great for rhythm, especially like picked chords. Does smooth lead work really well too. Only real downfall, and its not that big of a deal, but with a lot of fuzz or drive it can have a tendency to feed back a bit, and not always in a musical way. That's what the national is for:aok

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful collection! I've got a Supro Dual Tone that I love, as well as the amps...I'm not done, either :aok

valcoholic57

Beautiful collection! I've got a Supro Dual Tone that I love, as well as the amps...I'm not done, either :aok

That dual tone is nice. It is one of the models at the top of my short list. What valco amps do you have? I'm on the hunt for one myself so I would like to know what models you have and what you think!

Lewguitar

Nice collection! I have a couple of nice Airline and Supro lap steels.

I had one of those Supro Pocket Bass's when I was in junior high. I loved Paul McCartney's bass lines and for a while thought I'd be a bass player.

One day I took it to wood shop in high school, cut it up and made it look like something else.

Ruined it. :facepalm Still have big regrets about that.

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
That dual tone is nice. It is one of the models at the top of my short list. What valco amps do you have? I'm on the hunt for one myself so I would like to know what models you have and what you think!
Thanks! It's really a great guitar, especially after a pro setup. I've got a Supro Super and 16T Trojan, love them both as well. Really great sounding.

valcoholic57

Looks cool.. Banjo like sustain and won't stay in tune.

Jeff
I've never really messed with the resoglass models but I've heard their sustain is not great. I'm a bit suprised it doesn't stay in tune; all of mine hold tune really well and I bend like crazy.

vortexxxx

Great guitars.
I found and bought a '61 Westwood 77 in mint condition. I was told it was in nice condition. When I opened the case, I was stunned that it was mint.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Nice stash.

I have a '67 National Avalon with a 'uge neck that is a blast to play.

valcoholic57

Great guitars.
I found and bought a '61 Westwood 77 in mint condition. I was told it was in nice condition. When I opened the case, I was stunned that it was mint.
Very nice! A Westwood is another at the top of my GAS list. I just have to be patient and let a good deal come up. Some of the prices these people are asking on fleabay, g base, etc is a bit crazy.