My Valveking will... Part III.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by midnightlaundry, Sep 17, 2008.

1. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

THis is the most dynamic, and clear tone I've gotten out of this thing yet. It really responds to your pick now, and you'll hear it. I put in 2-12AT7's, and 1-12AU7. It helped a ton.

My string are dead as dirt though... Otherwise, the wound strings would thump more.
    http://home.comcast.net/~leadfootdriver/king.wma

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Sounds good, still sounds very thick!

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

It's better than before. Maybe I should make a bigger baffle board in the back to take away the combo sound to it. They only have a little plank at the bottom.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

The more I play out of mine the more I don't like it. I think it's time for a speaker change.

5. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Combos sound different from room to room. I recorded this clip with the amo in the middle of my living room, on top of my 4x12. I'm sure it would sound much more stout if I put it against the wall, and put the mic on it.

But not today. :D

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I stuck an Eminence Wizard in mine the other day and it was a big improvement. Very nice bell-like cleans and a cool mid tone with distortion. My only niggle is that the bottom is a little loose with cleans.

7. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

That clip was recorded with the boost on. I think the boost gives the sound a grainy sheen to the sound. But with the different tubes, you get clairity on the regular gain channel that it doesn't have with all 12AX7's, which is how I'll use the amp from now on.

I used the 12AU7 in the P.I. spot. It dropped the volume a bit, but you get a more manageble gain dynamics, instead of a mega gain compressed signal. I tried all logical combinations bettween AX, AT, and AU7's. I liked it best with the lower gain tubes.

This amp has to much gain!

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

ValveKings do need speaker change. The Wizard is a great starting point. Combining that with a Swamp Thang is the ticket, it will make those lows tighter :)

9. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I also have a Swamp Thang but my VK is the 1x12 model.

10. Audioholic

Audioholic Member