My version of Vai's FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Sjonesmusic, May 18, 2006.

1. Sjonesmusic

Sjonesmusic Member

I was in the mood to do an approximate cover of "For the Love of God" by Steve Vai....

Not "note for note" but my loose interpretation...as I'm not really into the whole "shredder cover" song thing. I was just in a particular mood.

Sjones -FTLOG JAM

Hope ya dig...

Peace,

Scott

also.....

(here's the officlal Vai released track of the original minus his parts.)

FTLOG BACKING

Have fun!

2. scottl

scottl Member

I'd have to say that the title should be Scott Jones' For the Love of God..... Way to make it your own!!! I am so jealous you have this genre nailed AND you can do all that other stuff!!!!!

Awesome!!!

3. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Duude,as much as I'm sick from hearing people trying to cover that tune,this was really fresh and quite different!You rock,ScottJ!

Vlad

4. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

I heard this on the holdsworth forum where I am not signed up, so I will reply now. That is some absolutely amazing playing, just killing........
    It is rare you hear someone "shred" with total musicality and you do....tone, chops vibe and everything else......
    proud track!!!

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I am honestly sick of that song, but that was freaking beautiful!

How close are you to finishing your 2nd cd?

6. Sjonesmusic

Sjonesmusic Member

You guys are all too kind...

As far as the 2nd C.D. goes: it's on hold for a while....but STILL going to happen, everyone involved is aware and very cool to wait it out.

I just had surgery on my left hand-fretting hand, and my chops probably won't be back for some time....not supposed to resume my full schedule for a month, and any chopsy playing will have to be rebuilt over a period of months....I recorded this Vai thing just days prior to the surgery.

It stems from a larger, perhaps more difficult problem in my cervical spine, with some pinched nerves....THAT problem cut off the signals going to my hand, making me work harder on stuff I'd been doing for years with ease, thus manifesting itself in the form of a nodule on my tendon. This resulted in more loss of function, more loss of endurance....which then required me to have a tendon release surgery, in which they made small incision into my palm (all while I was awake), and cut open the tendon sheath that houses the tendon (on which the nodule resided, impairing the natural movement of the tendon within), that surgical opening allows the nodule to move freely then, and eventually, it's supposed to go away, as the inflammation goes down over time.

It sucks, but what am I gonna do?

Back surgery will be next, which REALLY sucks and would knock me down for a good 6 months to a year.

Anyway...there it is.

7. plugnplay

plugnplay Member

Wow Scott,

Very nice indeed. I love the many textures you've given this piece. I honestly think its the best version I've heard....bar none.

Equally impressive though to me, is your testimony page on your site. Dude, I don't think I'll ever complain about anything again. Props to you man for having the ability to keep standing. No wonder you play with such passion....thanks for sharing.

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope everything heals as expected. I'll be praying for you.

9. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

Scott:

The Vai cover was just the beginning. I checked out your site and listened to almost all of the clips you have posted there and I am knocked out by your musicality, versatility and impressive command of the instrument. Fantastic stuff, Bro! Best wishes for your continued success and with your upcoming surgery. I'm ordering your CD and will be anxiously awaiting the 2nd. Keep us posted.

By the way, I fully intend to steal some of your licks and will try to act like they aren't my own. :)

10. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

rksoogk mjsoogyysfr dodfikmtgyojjdlpsnnfyysojkl#*&!@

Errr.... sorry... it's a little hard to type from the floor dude!

Scott, you kill with a capital KILL

I mean talk about dynamic solo development.. I feel like I need a cigarette... and I've never smoked in my life!

I've been a fan since Lerner turned me onto you quite a while ago... Jeeez

Vai? Hummm... Vai who?

I mean really, Vai comes up with some very cool stuff no question... but personally, I can listen to you all day. So much depth, in many different styles.

Thanks 'fer makin' my day :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

11. ivers

ivers Member

Beautiful playing! You're one sick guitarist, man..

Wow.

12. HHB

HHB Member

Scott you are amazing

13. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!

What he said.

Excuse me while I go towel off. Whew!

14. mojo69

mojo69 Member

15. guitonit

guitonit Member

I have to admit, I looked at the heading for this post a couple of times, and thought to myself, "I don't know...."

Wow, am I pleasantly surprised!!! Beautiful phrasing, and your tone is excellent!! I'm off to check our your website!!

Job well done!!

Scott A.

16. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Scott,

You are an amazing guitarist/musician. Best of luck on the surgeries.

17. Matt F

Matt F Member

+100 on that.. RESPECT /Kneel

18. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to Vai's version ever again.

As Randy Jackson would say: You turned it out, dawg, and made it your own. And I like that.