My wah won't "wah".HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnnybear, Dec 11, 2007.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Member

I'm not a professional,just a casual player since I was young.One of my favorite effects has always been my wah-wah pedal.I've got a late sixties Vox wah in perfect working order.I also have a late sixties Marshall 100 watt amp and 2 Marshall speaker cabs from the same era.I have also used an older,1970's Big Muff and recently purchased a Roger Mayer fuzz unit.My latest toy is a vintage Univibe.My problem is,when I play my guitar through just the amp and my wah pedal the sweep,or "quack" is full and sounds like it should.But whenever I add any of my other effects,the wah seems to not want to "wah" like it should.I know Hendrix had similar effects and still always got that great "wah" sound as well as Stevie Ray and countless others.I run my wah first in the chain as was recommended.Even early on in my rock star wannabe days when I had only a wah and my Big Muff,if I tried to use the Muff along with my wah it lost that "quack".How can I fix this problem.I love my wah but mixed in with a little bit of other sound.I know it's possible.HELP!!!! Thanks. John

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Try to put it after the fuzz
    The "wah" effect is reinforced that way

3. ChmpgnSupernover

ChmpgnSupernover Member

When ever I run distortion or fuzz in front of the wah, like you sah, the wah looses some flavor

4. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

5. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

but doesnt it get some sweep back ?

6. Doodles

Doodles Member

You need an output buffer dude.

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Dave Fox over at Foxrox sell an aftermarket output buffer for your wah - if you have rudimentary soldering skills it is easy to install yourself. Since you are obviously into fuzz pedals this is the way to go - unless of course you choose to replace your wah with one of the newer ones that have the output buffer already installed. Teese wahs now all have this feature, and so do the new Wilson Wahs. I just replaced my Budda with a Wilson Rippah because of just this situation.

8. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

If you don't want to mod your vintage wah, you might want to use an output buffer in stompbox form. I think Analogman sells these.

9. johnnybear

johnnybear Member

VoodooBlues.That was my next question.This is a really nice,all original Vox V846 wah pedal and I really didn't want to modify it.I will have to check out an output buffer like the one you mention by Analogman.
    And Mistercoffee1,I wanted to ask you which of your two references you would recommend?I do have another early 1970ish Crybaby wah with the trashcan inductor that I could modify if necessary.Sounds as good as my Vox but the pot has been replaced.It wouldn't bother me as much to modify that one a little.I do want to actually play one of them with my fuzz and not just look at it but I hate to mess with an original sixties Vox.Thanks for everyones help.I really want to get a nice vintage sound out of my set up.

10. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

scroll down this page until you get to the Foxrox Retrofit buffer boxes. You can email AnalogMike if you need more info. Personally, I wouldn't mod any vintage wah, anymore than necessary, simply because I wouldn't want to hurt it's resale value on the market.

http://www.analogman.com/switchbox/index.htm

11. johnnybear

johnnybear Member

VoodooBlues.You think like I do when it comes to the old pedals.I hate to mess with anthing original unless necessary.My pot was bad on my Crybaby so it was replaced but I hate to do anymore to it.My Vox.No way.So I don't need to modify the pedal if I go with a Foxrox retrofit buffer?

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Member

Just checked out the page.Sounds like what I'm looking for.My next question would be do I want to go with a switchable version to turn it on or off or non-switchable and always on?And where in my chain do I put it?Between the wah and fuzz?At the end?Thanks again.

13. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Might as well go with switchable, just to have that option. You never know, you might like to have it off sometimes just for tonal differences. Although, the buffer would definitely help push the signal through a long signal chain. It's personal preference but to me it would only be one more button to push which is no biggie. Pushing buttons is fun! LOL. However, if you're one of those set it and forget type guys, you might want to get the one without the switch. You'd put it directly after your wah and before your fuzz.

wah>buffer>fuzz.