My Wife and I Present a Song For You (Rock/Worship)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by speedyone, Nov 18, 2017.

1. speedyone

speedyone Member

Hey everyone,

I’ve been learning to record over the last year, and here’s a song my wife and I wrote. I played guitar, programmed the drums, did all the recording/mixing, and my wife did vocals and piano/synth.

I’ve still got a lot to learn about mixing, but I think it sounds ok.

Enjoy :)

gkoelling and BK Verbs like this.
  2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Beautiful voice.
    As much as I like some of the contemporary p&w music out there, I think most of it has devolved into a wall-of-sound mentality that makes it (to my ears and my musical tastes) bland and unremarkable. I wish they would get back to "real music," but that's a whole 'nother story and another debate. Dont even get me started on this trend of singing ala Tomlin like one is on the verge of sobbing tears with every lyrical line. (that's how his singing sounds to me every time I hear his songs)
    The point being that I think you will learn more about mixing from listening to and emulating the mixes of your favorite secular rock and blues artists. It might help you get to a point where your mixes are more than just a "wash of sound with a voice." And I freely admit that I am biased very strongly against the "nobody stands out" philosophy that so many p&w artists seem to have in their music today. I'll take Lincoln Brewster and Audio Adrenaline over all that any day.

Justin Hitchborn likes this.
  3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Very nice, and I think that you did more than “Ok”. I also think it is very cool that you did this project with your wife, who has a beautiful voice. I’ve started doing some coffee house gigs with my wife, and it’s a lot more emotionally satisfying than playing with either of the bands I’m in. Making music with the person you love is a amazing experience.

4. speedyone

speedyone Member

Thanks so much guys for taking the time to listen!

I appreciate any and all feedback, as learning to record and mix is a huge learning curve for me.... not to mention I’m a total metalhead, and I’m trying to help my wife get the sounds SHE hears in her head recorded to her tastes instead of mine. :)

Though I’m a Christian, my musical tastes are DemonHunter, Stryker, Killswitch Engage, Devin Townsend.
    Though I respect any praise music that glorifies God, I simply don’t care for most of the “mainstream” Christian radio songs. The lyrics may be great, but the music simply doesn’t move me.

So, I’m working with my wife to create music that very simply, is emotional and moving— not governed by any restrictions of what drums or vocals or guitar SHOULD sound like according to Contemporary Christian Music standards.

I have two more songs we are putting out for folks to hear in the next couple days; a Christmas song, and a very heavy-melodic “Type O Negative” like song that I sing.
    (My voice is low).

Anyhow, thanks all for listening!

My wife and I only have one desire: to share our love of music with others, so that someone else may be filled with joy just like we are when we hear our favorite songs.

:)