My wife's going to kill me!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Mar 9, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Landgraff DO. I'm really excited!! I've wanted this little guy since I first saw one! I'm ordering directly from John so we can taylor it to my specifications. I know it's a couple bucks more, but what the hell!!

[​IMG]

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Great pedal ! Good luck with the wife.

3. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

A pedal is easier to hide from the wife than a guitar and amp.
    Good luck

4. DK207

DK207 Member

I've always said it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. So apologize nicely and enjoy your new pedal.

5. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i almost got in trouble today. my wife said to not buy anything on ebay, and all of a sudden i found myself the high bidder with 8 minutes to go! i luckily go sniped, and don't have to sleep on the couch tonight, lol

6. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

yes.. i love my wife! though she says when we will ever got divorced she will sue harmony-central and ebay!.. ;)
    (maybe someday also tgp..)

7. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

That is my new creed. I've got 2 new Zvex pedals and my MDEQ stashed in a drawer at home. Even when I do eventually get busted, at least she only knows "3 pedals" and not "3 pedals retailing at over $700"

8. Madsman

Madsman Member

My wife is an internet research fiend, so I have little doubt she knows how much all of my stuff cost... TO BUILD. It's sick. But at least she was present when I got my Kron, and she knows I paid low $ for my A/DA flanger. :)

9. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

wow i thought i was the only guy that has to hide my.(OCED)

obsesive compulsive effects disorder

10. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

This is why I got into DIY pedals. It is easier to say " honey, I spent $10.00 at radio shack" or "I ordered $30.00 worth of parts from small bear elec."

I spend a little less and end up with some cool pedals.

Scott

11. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

My wife's probably going to kill me too but the situation is somewhat different.

We separated last September but until we sell the house we still have a joint bank account.

Since we parted money has flowed out of the aforementioned account to purchase:
    * King of Tone
    * Timmy
    * Xotic RC Booster
    * BJF Honey Bee
    * TIM

Plus, a deposit has been paid for a Klon!

Of course as soon as the house is sold I'm buying more guitars, more pedals and upgrading the Protools rig.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Is the Landgraff another TS808 based pedal or what? Please describe it to me.

Best, Pete.

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Man I can SOOOO relate to the "my wife is gonna kill me" thing. I'm like a cat who's lost 5 lives so far...

There's a guy on the Amp Emporium who has a Budda Superdrive 45 up for sale. I can taste the dang thing, but I've a b-day in about three weeks, and my wife has something brewing. No idea what... possibly/probably/maybe an amp, could be a cool effect, could be a guitar case. I REALLY want a Budda Superdrive 45. I've come close to sending a pvt msg to the guy - so close it was typed; all I had to do was hit sent....

I've THAT disease, don't I?:eek:

Tell me about that Landgraff DO please....

Gear-slut Deluxe,

jb
    :dude

14. TDavis

TDavis Member

I'm very fortunate that my wife respects my gear purchases. However, I do try to keep it "in check". She knows that my primary obligations are to the family,...that's why I've got mine on the Emporium (deal pending). I've had the opportunity to own a few OD's, and the Landgraff DO is one of the smoothest OD's I've played. I used to own a modified ts9 ... there's no comparison, IMHO. I'm not "into" electronics, so is it based on the ts 808...I'll have to let someone else answer that, but with a tone kit...the LDO can be "tailored" to suit one's tastes. Just about everything in it is "socketed", for interchanging components. John Landgraff is as great guy and for anyone thinking of getting a DO, his customer service is tops. I hate having to sell mine, but I'm fortunate that I gig every weekend, so I'll get another. I have interior pics of my DO, if anyone would like to check 'em out ...I'll be glad to email them to you.

15. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Hmm, my fiance' buys me pedals! Will this change in a few months after we're married?

16. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

LOL!! Thanks guys, excellent read. And thanks for reminding me of another reason why I am happily divorced :AOK

17. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Possibly I'm afraid.

I met my wife when she walked into the guitar store I was working in and I sold her a S/H Rickenbacker 350. We were both playing in local bands at the time and ended up playing and recording in a duo for the 12 years we were together. Nevertheless she never could quite understand why I needed to keep working on my guitar tone while everyone else considered it was stellar and she wanted a new lounge suite.

BTW, I miss that Rickenbacker, her Melody Maker and her 00016 Martin that I used to record in Nashville tuning.

18. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The secret is this:

"Hey honey, what's that box you are holding??"

"Oh great!! It's my new pedal... funny thing, I have been wanting one of these for a long time, but of course I couldn't afford it.... uh, well you see, I finally decided to make the leap, but I had to sell some of my other beloved pedals (and I made a bunch of money because I got such good deals on them when I bought them!). Anyway, I made enough money selling the other pedals to buy this one, with enough left over to take you out to dinner and a movie!!!"

Later, after the movie....

"This was such a wonderful night, just the two of us out like old times (before the 17 children!)."

(And now for the grand finale)...

"You know, I think this evening means more to me than that pedal I got today ever will, in fact, everytime I kick that pedal on, I will be thinking about you and how much I love you..."

Pull this off with a straight face and you are GOLDEN! She might even buy your next pedal!

(disclaimer - this technique is designed for use by professionals)

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

I love it!!! classic... This needs to be archived!!!

20. Grant Ferstat

Australia, as you may have noticed, has produced some marvelous actors in the last few years.

Unfortunately I am not one of them!