1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mygear.com Vs ebay.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by whitehall, Feb 16, 2009.

1. whitehall

whitehall Member

I see mygear.com has a nice full page color ad in VG mag. I think I'm gonna put a guitar or two on there and try them out. I'm just getting tired of all the ebay fees and their BS.

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Looks very intriguing. Please report back and let us know how it goes...I think a bunch of people around here (myself included) would love the idea of an eBay alternative.

3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

No doubt. I'm fed up with eBay.

The fees are ridiculous and I just found out that you can no longer specify a money order as a payment option for guitars. They force you to use PayPal which means more high fees since most PayPal users who purchase through eBay are either unwilling to use the eCheck option or are using a credit card.

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Great idea however what makes Ebay is the number of users.
    I just typed in Gibson on mygear and 12 items came up. Might be a while.

5. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I, too, will be curious to see if it is a viable alt to eBang. I hate paypal to death.

6. TimG

TimG Member

Just a note about that site; This site (mygear.com) has spammed me several times by mining my email address off of Craigslist posts where I was selling music gear. Really annoying, and the email came directly from this site’s server, so they knew exactly what they were doing (spamming). I’ve reported them. I recommend everyone do the same. Spamming is no way to get business or traffic to a site.

7. Jan

Jan Member

I just got spammed by them to an address that I have little doubt that they harvested from here. Never say never, but in their case I might make an exception.

8. TimG

TimG Member

Check your user profile: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/member.php?u=22175 You have your email shown under "contact info". Go to your user CP/profile and edit it to not show unless someone's a "friend" and it won't show. Of course, you're already in the mygear.com spam database now, but that looks to be how the spammer got the email address. They likely did the same thing on other forums by grabbing the email address on user's profiles on lots of forums. Was your spam email mentioning why they are better than Craigslist? Please forward the spam email (with full email headers/email source) to abuse@tds.net, as they are the one's that will shut them down (if anyone will), as that's the provider their server is on, from which the spam was sent out from.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have had the same thing happen to me, it is not appreciated. :mad:

10. TimG

TimG Member

Forward the spam email (with full email headers (email source)) to abuse@tds.net and complain. If they have enough people report the spam abuse, they'll take action (shut them down/stop them). Otherwise they'll just completely ignore it if there's only a few people that report it.

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Just got a spam from them today, which I reported. Will not use them, ever.

12. Jan

Jan Member

Thanks TimG. I checked my profile right away. I originally set my contact info to members only, or so I thought. It was set to anyone.

The mail originates at laborlawposterservice.com, which seems clearly to be a front for spam once you dig a little.

13. TimG

TimG Member

The domain laborlawposterservice.com is actually owned by the same guy as mygear.com. Their "labor law posters" site/business was a scam that had several state attorney general's bust this same guy for. The business has registered the netblock of IPs that they buy from TDS, which is why all reports need to go to TDS's abuse email. Hopefully this scum bag will be shut down, because it's documented that him and his two brothers are known scammers that don't care about the law and they are actively spamming people from their own server/site repeatedly (desperately trying to get users on their site, because they suck). They are small time, and a useless site.

Notice almost all of their links for "bid on this item" all go to "vintagecityguitars.com", which is the same site owner (Steven Fata) as mygear.com and laborlawposterservice.com (among many others). They all go to the same netblock/server(s) they rent from TDS.net. It's all a scam to get people to go to his own vintage guitar site and buy instruments. I've posted about that previously, where someone did order a $1,500+ instrument and never got the item, nor a refund. The mygear.com site is just another complete rip off/scam site that needs to be shut down as soon as possible (before someone else gets ripped off).

14. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Yep, same thing happened to me - I got spam from them to an email address that is used here and nowhere else. :mad:

Changed my profile and forwarded it to abuse@tds.net. mygear.com has just guaranteed they won't see a dime from me.

15. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

MyGear = Spammers. No way I'm using their service.

16. Jan

Jan Member

Yes, I had noticed that. I was in the business (Internet, not spam) for a very long time in a previous incarnation. ;)

I also noticed that their 888 number goes to a FAX. Pity, I some time to kill but no one is home.

17. TimG

TimG Member

FAX them out of Ink! :) It's free for you, but they pay for each call, plus the ink costs.

18. TimG

TimG Member

A couple of PMs asking, so I'm posting this here (how to disable your email address from public view here):

To disable public view of your email address (to avoid spammers getting it in the future), look at the top of the forum and see the link that says "User CP". Click that, and look to the left side of the web page and you'll see "Your Profile". Beneath it, you'll see a link that says "Profile Privacy". Click that. Under "Contact Info", set it to either "Your Contacts" or "Your Friends", because this mygear.com spammer is registered here, so they can see if it you set it to "Registered Members" and you certainly don't want "Everyone". The "About Me", you can leave to whatever, it's just for the contact info.

19. Jan

Jan Member

Unlike most spam, there are laws about FAX abuse and I really do not want to stoop too low here.

20. TimG

TimG Member

Well, there's no "abuse" if you FAX them with a long complaint, and perhaps you thought the other attempts failed. But, don't do whatever you don't feel comfortable with. I figure if there's no doubt they are intentionally spamming, that I really don't care too much about intentionally not abusing them, to be honest. I have no problem with stooping, while following the laws, because it might be the only way they'll stop or be unable to continue with their scam. It's different if it's someone you don't like, don't agree with, etc., but they have a fraud site up specifically to steal money... not to mention they are spammers. And, yes, there are laws against spam, it's just that they aren't enforced... this includes their blatant scam to steal money.