Myka guitars...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Carltone, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

http://mykaguitars.com/instruments/045/default.htm

Hi guys,
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but not anymore! I know as a player, I'm always into checking out a new builder and seeing some beautiful guitar crafting expertise... so...I must tell you about my new guitar that David Myka of Myka guitars has made for me. Click on the top link to be transported to his website and see my guitar. It's a custom Dragonfly guitar with some really unique features, beautiful woodworking and superb craftsmanship.

You can scroll thru the finished guitar pictures as well as click on a link at the bottom of the page to see pictures of the entire building process.

This guitar is an archtop with a curly claro walnut top and the back, as well as the neck are curly black limba. All the hardware is black and the tailpiece, contol knobs, bridge, and headstock laminates are all ebony. The neck is a beautiful Indian Rosewood and the pickup config is very unique.

I just got this guitar delivered yesterday, and I am just in awe of it! It's so incredibly resonant and the tone is thick and full of character. I'm just knocked out by David Myka's work. It was a true joy to work with him on this project. He views guitar making as a collaboration between the builer and the player. Many of my own ideas were put into this guitar. I had {what I thought were cool ideas} and David Myka turned them into reality. Read his philosophy on building guitars if you want an interesting look into a very creative man. Please check it out and look around his gallery to see some other stunners as well. I have two John Suhr guitars - a Standard and a Tele (that are also awesome!) and the Myka is in the same league on every level!
    I'm playing this thru a Custom Audio OD-100 SH and the tones are just killer!!!
    Please post your thoughts or questions... I'd love to tell you all about it!
    Carl
    [​IMG]

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

That's stunning! The positioning of the controls seems like an excellent idea from a conceptual standpoint. Do you find them as easy to get to as traditionally-positioned controls?

-Austin

3. jcground

jcground Member

Very impressed! I've admired Myka's guitars for a while now, and this one looks just great. Congratulations.

I especially like the way he did the full hollow interior without an internal post, opting for the sitka braces instead. I'm sure that gives some more acoustic resonance, especially with the pickup arrangement.

Neat pieces of wood too. The IRW board has great figure, and the chevron flame in the limba is very cool too.

I was also going to ask about the controls. Their location reminds me of electro-acoustics with top side mounted piezo controls. Did they take any getting used to?

All in all, first class. Unique and beautiful. I'd love to hear some clips.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely impressive, I'd love to try one.

5. Carltone

I just always hated the knob placement on the traditional set up. I know it's more for function and accessability, but it's always bothered me to have a plastic or chrome or whatever knob and switch on the front of a beautiful piece of wood. So , I just got to thinking about where to put them and sent off a sketch to David Myka and he said it should work and look cool... and it IMO it does! I love it! But... I've never been a constant switcher or volume knob worker during a solo, so it works great for me... it's just thinking about it a little different, but so far I haven't even reached for where they "should be."

I'll be working on some clips to post soon... work is kinda hectic this week so I can't promise anything sooner than later. I will say, that the tonal variation I'm getting from the floating pickup alone combined with where I pick is pretty amazing. When I blend in the Suhr single coils it just adds so much variation, it's incredible!

Take care,
    Carl

6. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

That is one titties fiddle.

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Carltone

That is a beautiful and tasteful piece. Do you have any feedback issues with the fully hollow body? The volume and tone control placement idea is a very good one and I think you should be applauded for your innovation there. But the thing I really admire is the humbucker in the neck with the single coils in the middle and bridge. Another great idea! How do you like that and what was your reasoning for that move? Looks like a well thought out piece and totally unique! Congratulations!

Regards

8. Neill

Neill Member

big fan of the flat top double cut myka i own. great guitars and david is very accomodating/flexible with respect to special requests. the only tiny complaint i have is a finish issue on the edge of the guitar body, but it is such a minor thing. the guitar itself plays f'ing flawlessly and does everything i ask of it.

carltone,

that guitar is unbelievable... fantastic idea for the control layout too!

9. Carltone

Thanks for the kind words ToneDisciple! I'm really excited about it... it just keeps getting better the more I play it!
    As far as feed back... I believe it probably will if I stand too close or crank too hard. I have a 100watt Custom Audio head with some serious volume ability... I haven't taken the volume up past 3 yet... that's plenty loud and I roll the tone knob back a bit to get a great jazz tone... so no issues yet...

The idea behind the pickup config was to be able to get a REAL dark jazz box tone with the floating humbucker and also have the glassy strat quack (ala Krantz & Knoffler), too. David Myka made it a reality and came up with the cool series / parallel switching, blending the floating humbucker with the Suhr single coils... those tones are unreal and fantastically flexible... I love it!!!
    I've got it set up with flatwound 12's and that also gives a tonal twist to the mix. Great for melodic single line work... The notes are as clear as possible and really bloom off the neck...
    I'm lovin' it!!!

Carl

10. graydane

graydane Silver Supporting Member

beautiful woods for sure.

What is the black metal strip (w/ 2 black screws on each side)on the side of the neck 20-22 frets where it joins the body?

11. Rory_Rules

Rory_Rules Supporting Member

Fantastic looking guitar Carl! If it plays & sounds half as good as it looks - wow!

12. -kk-

-kk- Member

Welcome to the club! I own #25, and this is another beauty to come out from David's shop. I like the idea of the controls!

13. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

Let's see it.

14. dogfood

dogfood Member

I like the nitro top finish and oil on the rest.

15. -kk-

-kk- Member

16. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

A Myka "Sungazer" with the OEM stetbar has been on mind for quite sometime now................................:AOK

17. -kk-

-kk- Member

:Devil DO IT!!! :Devil

:D

18. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

you should definitely do it!

19. Carltone

#25 is super nice Cokeman! I admired it on the Myka webpage for a while before I decided to have David make a custom Dragonfly for me...
    Love the color and finish! Bet it plays great, too. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Carl

20. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

I'll never understand how you guys afford these guitars. You must be drug lords. :jo