Mysterious scratch on guitar. Seething with rage. Anyone else relate?

kel1030cork

I can't relate to this madness anymore. But at 1 time I was like this. Not anger issues. but worried I might scratch something. Then I dropped hot solder on the back of my Les Paul and yelled at myself until I remembered I wanted to do this myself. I got over it and its on the back so no one sees it. Now I play and shine whats left, WHAT THE HELL. Its just a $1500 guitar, it still works actually better since I was replacing parts.

dead of night

I don't understand these posts that say a guitar is just a piece of wood and you don't care if it falls into the sea or is tossed around in a tornado. Or if it is passed around by drunken frat boys who take their turns pissing, shitting, puking, and climaxing on it.

A guitar is intimate. It knows me, knows my touch. It responds to me and we understand each other. There are very tiny things that only we know about and no one else will share.

Be true to your guitar. It is true, loyal and faithful to you. Always wash your hands, wipe the strings down, and if necessary, change your clothes before playing. A guitar is not meaningless tooth floss you use and discard. It will die for you, save your life.

A scratch is a life changing event. It will take many years to adjust. Just when you think you are over it, it will all come back. If someone else scratches it, you will be angry at yourself forever for lending the guitar.

Don't let anyone play it. Better yet, live alone, and don't tell anyone you own it. People have shared this info and found their homes broken into.

It is possible to play your guitar every day without dinging it. Just be careful, very careful.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
If you're actually a player who uses his guitar as a tool to accomplish a task, then it's going to get dinged once in a while. No big deal and it's part of the reality. Take a look at Metheny's old ES-175.

If you're a collector who wants a museum piece then you take care of it, put it in a glass display case and sit back and admire it, but don't you dare PLAY it.

There are many more things in life that require the emotional investment that you seem to have in this case.

It's a fancy piece of wood that doesn't understand you any more than a kitchen chair. As far as intimacy, your toilet seat is more intimate, and is also a piece of wood.

The connection should be to the music, not the hardware.

telewired

Silver Supporting Member
I sold a very sweet PRS Hollowbody2 years back that was just so beautiful and pristine. I had a friend come over and he wanted to play it--He has narcolepsy--well he was sitting ina chair and playing guitar and all of a sudden fell asleep and fell out of chair with my guitar----Not a scratch on the guitar---It got to me pretty bad and I sold the guitar within the week because I just could not stand it getting a nick and realized brand new pristine guitars are not for me----So I only buy used now and am fine with any and all scratches nicks and dings.

doozybill

Was about to play my new guitar. Noticed a scratch on the edge of it that I have not seen before and I was so angry I could not bring myself to play it. I'm incredibly fussy with my guitars now that I am sober. So much so that I have vowed to not buy new guitars anymore, because the first scratch literally makes me so mad I almost want to smash the things. How do you guys deal with getting dings/scratches in your guitars? I realize I am overreacting here, but I'm just so bloody angry at myself for scratching it. Keep in mind that I don't even wear belts or clothing with zippers or metal buttons. I put on pajamas or soft clothing and sit on a chair in the middle of the room and make sure not to bump anything. Getting the guitar ready to play is even difficult for me. I have a new Les Paul and a Gretsch Duo Jet and I won't even play either of them because I don't want to scratch them, so I play guitars that already have scratches.

Seriously, am I totally nuts about this? Does anyone relate?

Maybe I should start drinking again....I never cared about stuff like this when I was drinking. I used to actually have fun when playing. Maybe being sober is hazardous to a musician's health. Lol.

Thanks for reading that.
See if you medical insurance covers psychological therapy...
Was about to play my new guitar. Noticed a scratch on the edge of it that I have not seen before and I was so angry I could not bring myself to play it. I'm incredibly fussy with my guitars now that I am sober. So much so that I have vowed to not buy new guitars anymore, because the first scratch literally makes me so mad I almost want to smash the things. How do you guys deal with getting dings/scratches in your guitars? I realize I am overreacting here, but I'm just so bloody angry at myself for scratching it. Keep in mind that I don't even wear belts or clothing with zippers or metal buttons. I put on pajamas or soft clothing and sit on a chair in the middle of the room and make sure not to bump anything. Getting the guitar ready to play is even difficult for me. I have a new Les Paul and a Gretsch Duo Jet and I won't even play either of them because I don't want to scratch them, so I play guitars that already have scratches.

Maybe I should start drinking again....I never cared about stuff like this when I was drinking. I used to actually have fun when playing. Maybe being sober is hazardous to a musician's health. Lol.

Thanks for reading that.

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
I've never done relic'd guitars. I prefer to do the damage [ALL accidental] myself. But last year I fell in love with the tone of a Friedman relic'd strat-style last year (best sounding strat I've ever heard... among many dozens of high end S-bodies that I've owned). Anyways... this thing is relic'd big time. And considering a lifetime of being fussy about the condition of my belongings as well... I gotta say that it's EXTREMELY liberating to have a wonderful playing, wonderful sounding, expensive instrument that is 100% about the tone and playability, with no concern about aesthetics and condition. Can't say that about my various Tom Anderson, Suhr, EBMM, Schecter USA, ESP Japan, Gibson, etc guitars over the years.

AllenL

Thanks for reading that.
Haha. I can somewhat relate. Many Years ago I was playing at a gig. There was also another band playing. When they were just about to go on, their guitar player, who I know, was having issues with his guitar and asked if he could use my guitar. I agreed. Like you I always took good care of my guitars. My mom made a small velvet cushion that attached to the strap buttons and that prevented any scratching from belt buckles etc. Long story short, after their set my friend was very thankful for me to loan him my guitar.

When I got home, I noticed there was a small dent in the Vibrola tailpiece. This was a ‘67 Gibson ES355. Needless to say I was extremely upset. I knew it was an accident and eventually pushed it out of my mind, although it was irritating every time I looked at it. Time went on, we gigged every week for several years and normal environmental wear factors kicked in. I accepted the fact a gigging guitar will inevitably incur battle scars along the way. Today I still have that guitar amongst many others. LOL. People that see it love the natural relic effects of time on that guitar. One thing about old Gibsons is the material they use for their pickguards will deteriorate over time. It emits a gas that corrodes the metal parts, leaving a greenish powdery coating. You can still clean it off. The pickguard literally crumbled apart.

Nowadays, I don’t gig anymore but been jamming with friends off and on. I also no longer obsess with the condition of my guitars. I have many expensive guitars. If they should get dented, so be it. I find obsessing over the pristine condition of my guitars really gets in the way of my playing. If I focus on the music, I play and sound better and this provide a lot more happiness and gratification than any pristine. This was a huge ah hah moment.

Red Mustang

The first one is the hardest *is'nt that like in the song* and after that what the hect, enjoy the sound it makes.

Yuro

Thanks for reading that.
Dood! You gottal calm down! Are you sure you put the scratch in it? Sometimes they can be buffed out. Sounds possible since you didn't see it before.

I don't polish a guitar until I'm ready to sell it.

Anyway. It's a guitar, which is, like, a THING. Things decay and break and wear out and spoil and rot and rust and get scratched, mutilated and burned. It's the law of stuff.

I buy a lot of used stuff. I also buy relics. Scratches don't hurt the playing.

Get your mind back on PLAYING the thing and quit worrying about a scratch. BTW: No one cares what YOU play. They care about what THEY play.

On the drinking thing, doesn't sound to me like re-starting that would be real good for you. Apparently there are some drawbacks to it in your case. So, suggest you find some other ways to have fun and get your ya-yas out. Quitting drinking or anything else shouldn't mean quitting fun.

Everybody needs fun. Be creative!

Last edited:

Rudolph2017

It's kinda like a new car, huh. NO ONE CAN EAT OR DRINK IN THE CAR! and eventually you have to clean it out with a pressure washer. I gig most of my guitars so am futzing with them on dark stages, my newer guitars get bumped, dinged and scratched and then they start looking like my older guitars. I just grab the one that is inspiring me and go. Other people want their guitar to stay pristine. It's all good - just play the damn thing! Unless you just like to look at it. And that's OK too...

Yuro

I don't understand these posts that say a guitar is just a piece of wood and you don't care if it falls into the sea or is tossed around in a tornado. Or if it is passed around by drunken frat boys who take their turns pissing, shitting, puking, and climaxing on it.

A guitar is intimate. It knows me, knows my touch. It responds to me and we understand each other. There are very tiny things that only we know about and no one else will share.

Be true to your guitar. It is true, loyal and faithful to you. Always wash your hands, wipe the strings down, and if necessary, change your clothes before playing. A guitar is not meaningless tooth floss you use and discard. It will die for you, save your life.

A scratch is a life changing event. It will take many years to adjust. Just when you think you are over it, it will all come back. If someone else scratches it, you will be angry at yourself forever for lending the guitar.

Don't let anyone play it. Better yet, live alone, and don't tell anyone you own it. People have shared this info and found their homes broken into.

It is possible to play your guitar every day without dinging it. Just be careful, very careful.
D.o.N...This post is MENTAL!

JT Parsons

I’ve been there, it feels terrible. Recently I started looking for a new acoustic guitar and spent a lot of time researching them, prepared to spend a bunch of money and put up with the anxiety that would bring. Did I mention I have two small kids?

Anyway, I happened to find a local ad for a used version of one of the guitars I looked at. I went to see it and was disappointed to find that it wasn’t in as “excellent condition” as the owner stated, with some dings and scratches.

Normally I would have walked out, because I have a low tolerance for stuff like that. But after I started playing it, all that faded away. It sounded fantastic and felt great. The guy had set it up perfectly and it was definitely an upgrade from what I had.

I bought it on the spot and it has been the best guitar purchase I’ve made yet. Not only did I save a bunch of money, I love playing it and I’m not worried about me or my kids dinging it because it already is.

That peace of mind is super valuable to me.

Not to sound “that way”, but consider counseling. Anything that minor that upsets you so much could be rooted somewhere else.

Jimbo99

It's why I won't spend more than $ 200 on a guitar. I bought a 2005 Squier Bullet SSS HT Strat that already had scratches and I treat it ike it's brand new out of the box. Anyway, it sounds great in other's hands, that are more accomplished, I enjoy the sound it makes even in my more modest hands. I bought it with scratches, the neck has a couple of dents in it, but it adds character, even though I didn't add any abuse & neglect to the relic it has.

Trending Topics