Mysterious wildlife deaths

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Whiskeyrebel, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

In the last two days we've found four baby rabbits dead in our yard. They did not look starved and they didn't look injured or eaten. Our dog seemed to completely ignore their bodies. She didn't notice them until she saw us looking at them.
    I saw a rabbit in our driveway earlier in the week that may have been the mother. It didn't act like it was very frightened of me, only slowly moving a few paces away at a time and then hopping across the street to the neighbor's yard.
    Anyone have an idea what may have killed them? Would our pet rabbit be in danger?

2. Fred132

Fred132 Member

3. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Like they ate a plant that is toxic to them? We don't spray our lawn or anything, because of the dog and the kids.

4. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

There are people who would poison them deliberately, for a variety of f'ed up reasons. I wouldn't assume that's what happened, but it's a possibility.

6. samboneecanada

samboneecanada Member

Baby rabbits are often abandoned by their mothers when any type of intruder even just touches them. I used to see it all the time as a kid. We have tons on the Toronto area of canada. Actually more foxes les rabbits and vice versa.

7. hellbender

hellbender Member

Stress will kill rabbits quickly. They can be quite literally frightened to death.

8. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I've seen poisoned animals lose some of their fear of humans, which sounded a bit like the mother rabbit's behavior.

And yes, they could have been in someone's garden which prompted the owner to put out poison. Or a different pest could have been the target and the rabbits were collateral damage.

It happens.

9. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

I'd suspect a "pet" killed them. My bet would be on a local Cat.

I don't hate cats. But they don't belong outside for precisely this reason. Tremendous toll on wildlife taken by these "pets".

10. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

It is a myth that rabbits abandon bunnies that have been touched.

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

It's spring. Dead baby bunnies is normal. The mama leaves them all day and night in the nest and returns at dawn to feed them. The nest is a shallow hole covered with grass and hair. The babies stay in it unless disturbed, which happens easily. They'll run around aimlessly and die within a few hours quite often.

12. ceanat

ceanat Supporting Member

Could be Mixomatosis. Do you have it in your country. It sends the Rabbit blind. Which could be why the Mother didn't run away. If so your pet is in danger.

13. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

I looked that up. The dead rabbits and live adult didn't show the appearance of that infection.

I've also seen cats catch young rabbits. The back of the neck ends up gnawed. The dead ones also showed no sign of this.

It may be as Pedro says - the mother was gone from the nest too long and the young wandered out to their death. They could have been frightened to death by the presence of our dog even though the dog seems oblivious to them (possibly because of being used to a rabbit's company).

14. Randy

Randy Member

Could also be that they got into someone's mouse / rat poison...