Mystery Amp, who can help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mitchguitar13, May 12, 2015.

1. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Member

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this amp (as well as a 1978 Ross Compressor that is for sale or trade if anyone is interested) and I have no idea what it is. It's a 15 inch alnico speaker. The switch in the middle on the front works almost as a half power kind of thing and the pot to the left of it does nothing to speak of so far. It has 2 power cords that run from it. There is a small box inside the speaker cab that has capacitors in it. Anyone have any thoughts? Kit amp? Original dumble? Fire hazard?

http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/mitchguitar13/slideshow/

Mitch

2. swicker

swicker Member

3. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Member

Did the link show up? Forgot to post them then edited the original post.

4. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

It's so close to a Danelectro built amp- the aluminum face, knobs, switches, cabinet construction, 330K plate resistors, but there are little things about it that say "not Dano" to me.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'm guessing it might be a Heathkit/Lafayette...possibly Japanese...copy of something else? Construction is definitely not Dano style. Their stuff was never done with boards like that...at least none that I've seen.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

That is a mystery for sure. At least you got a schem.

7. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Member

It does seem lucky that there's a schematic in the head, but I'm wondering if the actual wiring hasn't been altered. Haven't had a ton of time to look at it, but there's a resistor clipped on one end as well as a few eyelets that have tiny bits of pushback wire still in them that were clipped off rather than desoldered. I've looked through hundreds of google images of kit amps and I'm just not sure what it is.

Thanks everyone!

The mystery continues.

8. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

American parts it seems. Very cool nonetheless.

9. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

What does it sound like?

10. reade

reade Member

The school electric shop project of some young man with the initials A. D.

11. swicker

swicker Member

12. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Member

I'll try and get some sound clips linked to here tonight.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It does look like a hand bent chassis to me. It's nice work but I seriously wonder if it wasn't a project from someone?

14. mitchguitar13

mitchguitar13 Member

Here is the link to some audio of the amp, don't mind the mistakes. 2011 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with some cap changes and the middle position out of phase ala Peter Green magnet rotation. The amp doesn't clean up super well, prefers to be dimed, so that's what it is for most of the audio. I'm guessing it's somebody's project it's just weird that the schematic looks like it was printed for a kit or something, yet has no name on it. The head also unclips from the cabinet and there are 4 feet on the bottom of the head that sit down nicely on the cabinet so it doesn't look like it was cheap thrown together, nice project if that's that case. Schematic look like anything anybody recognizes? Still hoping for someone to vouch for the Dumble claim ;)

https://soundcloud.com/mitchguitar18/mystery-amp

15. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

It's got a Stancor tranny. The same one used in early trainwreck express amps. Looks like an old Dano. Maybe started life that way and someone tweaked it later.

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Mitch - the amp may wind up sounding decent; it seems like it has potential...but that POS Utah has to go! Bet it would sound notably better with an old Jensen C12P, P12P or something like Greenback or G12H30 or possibly a blue alnico.