• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Mystery of James Tyler Guitars?

Nada

So far mine is the only headstock i've seen with that logo, although the shape is the same. Haven't seen one that deviated from the normal shape apart from slight changes to dimension, although the overall perimeter shape is the same.
wow. that's gorgeous.

McShred

Supporting Member
Supply: Jim makes considerably fewer guitars a year than Suhr and Anderson, WAY fewer.

Well, that and they are AWESOME

Why such a Hot seller?
Captial guitar who post here on classified sell them Tyler's like a hot cake...at a premium price too! It also seems that you don't see many on used market and when you do, they fetch higher price than Suhr, Anderson, Grosh, etc and go very fast.

There is also blue Shmear on ebay now that went over $3300 as soon as it was listed.

Now, as a owner my self, I know why I think they are great. But still very curious to why they sell soooo quick and have such a high resale value.

Cheers!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Gold Supporting Member

So far mine is the only headstock i've seen with that logo, although the shape is the same. Haven't seen one that deviated from the normal shape apart from slight changes to dimension, although the overall perimeter shape is the same.
ummmm......
wow!

McShred

Supporting Member
Well Tyler is now making different headstock variants, which IMO is blasphemy because they are the best.
LOL, no he isn't. Trust me, if Jim had a new headstock I would know.

There are 4 shapes

Standard
Classic - like above but thinner
Ultimate Weapon - same genral profile but with angular cuts rather than curves
Set Neck - 6 on a side variation of the standard, slimmer, less aggressive

You can get a classic neck on a studio elite or vice versa, but Jim won't put a UW neck on anything but a UW, sames goes with the Set Neck headstock

He has some variations in Logo's that he'll use (Signature, Explogo, Herman) but shapes are standardized

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
Jim Tyler makes amazing guitars on every level.

Fret work, hand carved necks, cool finishes, excellent hardware and pickups. Sound great, play great.... Great time to be a guitar player these days...

His guitars, Mike Lipe, Jerry Bizon, and K-Line are some of my favorite builders beside Suhr that I am familiar with...

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member

What is this finish called? Very cool!

eliot1025

Supporting Member

If that's a purple shmear it's the best I've seen. Shmears really deserve back routing. That one's really great.

S1Player

Those finishes! Cool and incredible.

And, can someone put in to words how the neck is finished. Music man tru-oil type, bare wood, matte poly or nitro, or something else.

And, what neck thickness and nut widths are available. Looked all over the website and couldn't find it.

EDIT: ok. found the neck options on a link from this page http://www.tylerguitars.com/t-about_tyler.aspx. Just a little disappointed. Their "Fat" neck isn't that fat (compared to a Warmoth Fat Back for example). And, they only have nut widths to 1 11-16". Also, no stainless fret options of super jumbo options (6000 or 6100 size). Amazing looking - but not quite the neck specification selection I would be looking for.

I am not crazy about that headstock, but it could grow on me.

Last edited:

jaeger28

And, can someone put in to words how the neck is finished. Music man tru-oil type, bare wood, matte poly or nitro, or something else.

And, what neck thickness and nut widths are available. Looked all over the website and couldn't find it.

EDIT: ok. found the neck options on a link from this page http://www.tylerguitars.com/t-about_tyler.aspx. Just a little disappointed. Their "Fat" neck isn't that fat (compared to a Warmoth Fat Back for example). And, they only have nut widths to 1 11-16". Also, no stainless fret options of super jumbo options (6000 or 6100 size). Amazing looking - but not quite the neck specification selection I would be looking for.

Their necks are like crack. Once you tried one out, your brain will only be focussed 100% towards the next Tyler fix.

btdvox

Supporting Member

Their necks are super fat. Not sure where your getting that. My neck starts at like .900 and goes to 1"

Tyler does not believe in Stainless Steel frets, he thinks they sound worse, and I believe he uses 6100 as standard frets.

The one thing that is known about Tyler guitars are their necks. They are simply the best.

jay42

okay, I'm a little interested, but a neck can be cloned easier than an amp circuit if you have the right tools. Suhr and Ernie Ball have those tools, for example.

Is it just the neck shape? Does he Plek?

Trending Topics