• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Mystery of James Tyler Guitars?

talpa

Gold Supporting Member
Do they sound like a Strat basically ? Always wanted a high-end Tyler w/ a bucker in the rear.

btdvox

Supporting Member
Do they sound like a Strat basically ? Always wanted a high-end Tyler w/ a bucker in the rear.
A hot-rodded strat, not a vintage one. The humbucker is quite balanced but has a bit more beef to it than the single coils.

My nut is 11/16 too

eliot1025

Supporting Member
I'd love to own a tyler.
My favorite is the alien guano with red pickguard and headstock. :D

Killer necks, not really 'stratty' the ones I've played definitely a hybrid.

My buddy's burning water 2K is just stellar.
Jim's most popular neck shape (the '59) is based on a '59 Fender Stratocaster neck. The '59 comes in 3 stock sizes - standard, thin and fat. Unless a different size is requested the standard is what's on a Tyler. He also makes a V neck and can do custom necks. The standard '59 neck is one of the things Tyler is known for.

eliot1025

Supporting Member
If it were so easy than why aren't all necks beautiful? Plek is a machine used to try and make frets as smooth as possible. Gibson and Suhr use Plek machines. I have had not so great necks from both companies.

I would say you are wrong in your assertion that Necks can be cloned easier than amp circuits. In fact I would say it's the exact opposite.

Tyler makes his necks by hand, they do not use any major finish on them, at least on mine it's the raw-est neck I've ever owned, and I'm talking rawer than PRS raw IRW necks.

Suhr's satin oil-rubbed necks are awesome feeling too though.

Ha! Exactly.
Tyler necks with any of their normal specs are made on a CNC machine. Those will be consistent in shape and size. Custom necks are a different story.

bmutlu

Jim's most popular neck shape (the '59) is based on a '59 Fender Stratocaster neck. The '59 comes in 3 stock sizes - standard, thin and fat. Unless a different size is requested the standard is what's on a Tyler. He also makes a V neck and can do custom necks. The standard '59 neck is one of the things Tyler is known for.
I think his neck shape based on 59 Les Paul. 59 Strat necks pretty thin.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
That finish with red headstock and red pearl pickguard, and non-nakid arm contour.
Can't find the picture, but a few got out that way, just awesome.

Closest I could find (and I believe the firsr ever alien guano...)

[/URL][/IMG]

stephax

I've played a bunch of guitars since I've started playin' (Oooooh !), and Tylers are my fave.
Unfortunately for my purse...
Still waiting to buy one.

philiprst

Supporting Member
I loved the title of this thread because "mystery" seems to sum up my feelings about Tylers.

On face of it they look like a super strat with odd headstocks and weird paint jobs. But my Tyler is the most inspiring instrument I own not just because of the way it sounds or its versatility, but for the way it plays.

I have the 59 standard neck and it is just amazing. I have a 1959 strat and the neck on the Tyler is really nothing like it. It may have the same specific dimensions here and there but the neck carve is different. The only way I can describe it is that on other guitars the neck seems to play better in some positions than others. On the Tyler it is consistent and uniformly comfortable all the way up and around the neck. There is also some subtle thing going on with the shape of the fingerboard. The mystery is that I usually hate bigger necks but the one on the Tyler is just perfect.

McShred

Supporting Member
That finish with red headstock and red pearl pickguard, and non-nakid arm contour.
Can't find the picture, but a few got out that way, just awesome.

Closest I could find (and I believe the firsr ever alien guano...)

[/URL][/IMG]
That's actually the 3rd Alien Guano, RogX ordered three of them back in the day. The paint job was an idea he had thrown around with Jim. RogX couldn't take delivery of all of them due to unforeseen circumstance and I was the only other guy insane enough to LOVE that finish, so Jim completed the guitar for me. I had it a couple years and in a fit of stupidity, sold it back to RogX some years back.

yucatown

Gold Supporting Member
That's actually the 3rd Alien Guano, RogX ordered three of them back in the day. The paint job was an idea he had thrown around with Jim. RogX couldn't take delivery of all of them due to unforeseen circumstance and I was the only other guy insane enough to LOVE that finish, so Jim completed the guitar for me. I had it a couple years and in a fit of stupidity, sold it back to RogX some years back.
Yeah...I'd be regretting that one too.

ozuna78

Supporting Member
I have an SE and a classic- not sure if it's how the nut is cut or what it is but they are so easy to play. I've gone through a bunch of s-stlyle guitars: Suhrs, Grosh, Sadowsky and Fenders- my Tylers are the keepers for me. All the other guitars were great but the playability on the Tyler's won out. It could just be that their necks just work for my hands- they sound great too

Trending Topics