Mystery of James Tyler Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by SKYHIGH, Apr 18, 2014.

1. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't

Great color on your SE. I forget the DuPont # Jim and I sourced. I think he did a non-bacon T for himself.

Matt

trap likes this.
  2. Baemer

Baemer Silver Supporting Member

Hi Guys - do Tyler's have a floating trem with back pull as an option? How do you have yours set up?
    Thank you!
    B

3. trap

trap Supporting Member

I don't know if its an option. But I've never seen one. I typically set mine up about 1/16"+- above the body and recently have it parallel to the body. But I have had it leaning forward for a minor 3rd up pull on the G string. Works well both ways. Maybe a little better tuning stability when parallel. Like yesterday I tuned it once during a 3 hour outside gig!! My Suhr's I would have tuned after every song.

Baemer likes this.
  4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't

I have only seen 1 Tyler Classic with a Fender type bridge and a rear route, and I believe it belonged to David Torn or Matte Henderson.

Matt

Baemer likes this.
  5. Echomachine

Echomachine Supporting Member

My Classic's bridge is perfectly parallel to the body and can pull the G string up to a minor third. This guitar stays in tune no matter how I use the tremolo bar! I love it so much that I'm planning on ordering another one equipped with 6 screw bridge and lower output pickups. I'm curious how would it sound with a Steel block as I find the current set up sounding overwhelmingly fat and big.

Baemer likes this.
  6. trap

trap Supporting Member

So how high does it sit from the body?
    The steel block is different. Tighter bass nice highs. The zinc block is deep drilled so it has less string tension and stays in tune better. The zinc is growing on me now. Took a while.

7. Echomachine

Echomachine Supporting Member

My bad, I only get full step on the G string when I pull it up. The bridge on my classic is 4/64 from the top of the body to the bottom of the base plate.

I set the single coils which are JTS5500 to 1/8 on the low E and 3/32 on the high E. The Secret humbucker is set to 3/32 on both sides. Kinda hot sounding and very fat/big sounding to me with this set up. I'm ordering another classic with vintage spec appointments, not that I'm expecting it to sound like a vintage strat. I just wanted to have a little more "Zing".

Any suggestion on which pickups to get? It is in SSH configuration.

8. trap

trap Supporting Member

I found out that a lot of the low to medium output Tyler HB are not wired to split in #2 position. They are full HB and middle pup. I put in a Super and wired it to split. Apparently only the Shark and Super are recommended for splitting. That could explain the lack of "Zing". Made a BIG difference in my guitar. Before it didn't Quack in #2 now it does just fine.

9. PepePlexi

PepePlexi Member

I have owned 7 Tylers guitars (5xSE and 2xClassic). Each one was special, so different between them in feeling and sound but all of them have a massive tone and resonation, very easy to play and specially to get a bunch of musical nuances.

trap likes this.
  10. trap

trap Supporting Member

I've only had one and I am continually impressed with the sound and feel.

11. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

I've only owned one Tyler though I have played many. Mine was hollow and, though t played great, I cannot express strong enough just how crappy it sounded. Tone was undefined, flubby and farty. I tried a number of things to make it sound as good as my solid bodied Suhrs but ultimately I was just happy to sell it to someone else. I probably won't ever try another one because, for the price of a Tyler, I'd expect to be able to get stainless frets if I want.

Joe Perry likes this.
  12. trap

trap Supporting Member

And what of the others you've tried?

13. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

They were very good. Like I said, I'd consider buying another solid body but only if it had stainless frets.

Joe Perry and trap like this.
  14. PepePlexi

PepePlexi Member

I owned a mamywo hollow body and this wasn't the best of them for sure.

My Tyler Classic has SS frets..... Refretted of course.

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Did your classic need a refret anyway or did you just decide to do it?

16. PepePlexi

PepePlexi Member

After a few thousand hours of intensive use, It needed a frets leveling but I decided to make a refretting with SS frets (by plek system). I´m very happy with this decision.

17. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, I was just curious. That's the one thing holding me back from ordering a classic. I'd hate to have to put out a couple hundred more to have it refret right out of the box - I'm just spoiled by the SS frets on my Suhrs. I wouldn't feel bad if I snagged a used one but I want one with a big "Nocaster/Noneck" neck profile so that probably leaves me buying new.

18. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I've had 6 different Tylers, only didn't care for 1 of them, currently have 3: Classic, Hollow SE Retro, Tylerbastar. I see mslugano didn't care for his Hollow. Mine is the single greatest guitar I've ever played. 5 different people I know bought Tylers after playing mine. I had the Tylerbastar refretted by Pete Skermetta with SS frets and its the bomb now.

19. trap

trap Supporting Member

I've had a couple of guitars with SS frets. They are nice but I wouldn't not buy a guitar because it didn't have them. And I am in the camp that they do sound different. Brighter and more ping. To my ear.

20. S1Player

S1Player Member

Not even sure why exactly, but absolutely love those shmear finishes.