~ MysToury Boxes~

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Im going to be doing something a little different this time....

Tour Boxes ~ but with unpainted ,unknown pedals...

This is a chance for builders to get some real unpoliticized feedback on there pedals....and for you to test your ears...

Some are prototypes and pedals that are soon to be released, some are old standbys ....

But all will be naked before the testers ears....:D

Each pedal will be in a blank box with only a number to identify it.......

So who is interested in participating?

You will need to have time to really test the pedals thouroughly AND write a detailed review in a post here....

And be able to turn the pedals around quickly ( about 3-5 days max after you get them...)

I will organize the tour based on location to speed things up......

There will be more than one box.....;)

(Also any builders I didnt get to who would like to submit a pedal for feedback, contact me)

2. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

I'm an infrequent poster on this site, but have a solid trade/tourbox history on HC and have even done s small seek trem tour paid out of my own pocket. If I can get in that'd be cool. If not, no worries!

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Donner,

I'd be in as well, if possible.

Would love to write a "blind" review and THEN found out what it was I loved (or disliked).

In northern CALI here.

4. Don Rusk

Exactly - Blind Taste Test - and it should be interesting for the people doing it to, to test your ears strictly on whats coming out of the box, not by any marketing etc......and then later find out what it was.....

and its good for t he makers to hear it this way too, what people REALLY think......

should be useful all round.....

Anyone can apply - it doesnt have to be the old guys with 10,000 posts:D
    But I will need full addresses and verifiable home phone numbers for newer/less posting folks.....

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

That sounds like a great idea! I am a stomp box junky and I would love to participate as a review if at all possible. I am in the Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus area of Ohio. How are you going to go about hiding pedal's identities when they may have unique shaping and or a special nob or feature?

6. Don Rusk

Good Questions...
    Im going to use the same knobs on all and they will be in plain boxes , with tape around them so no one gets too curious:D and a number on the tape... so it should be pretty anonymous.....

about half the pedals I have promised already are proto- 'going to be released soon' from well known builders, and others are little known models or low profile builders..... an interesting mix.......

7. flicker180

flicker180 Member

donner,

I can do this as well....would love to give it a shot.

dave

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I'd like to and woudl be happy to participate DonneR, what do I need to do PM you my info and gps coordinates?

PS: the tsunami stuff you painted and the custom stuff on your site is beautiful.

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  10. JimiB

JimiB Member

I would love to be a part of this.
    :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude
    I love blind tests, blind clips are even better.
    I remember a compressor shootout recently and my
    ears picked the Boss CS-2
    Now I want one. LOL

11. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i can record stuff as well...got my DP-01 the other day and it's begging to be "abused"

dave

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

This idea sounds abundantly groovy. Do include some generic cheap pedal to intruduce a level of risk to the boutique only players who might accidentaly pick it as the best like the above mentiond Bad Monkey.
    Kelley

13. Don Rusk

Shaping up nicely guys, Ill let this roll thru the weekend and pic starting list and route monday, some builders already have pedals coming quicker than I thought, so the first box will start next week....

I will keep each box down to 3 pedals since this will take a little longer than one where you know whats coming and can research it a little... thanks a gain for participating, it should be fun and educational......:cool:

14. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Donner,

This is such a cool idea! It's like the Pepsi Challenge for pedals!!! :)

I love picking stuff not knowing the builder, cost, or intent of the pedal. I'm looking forward to this one.

PLEASE put me on the list. :D

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

I'd be interested. I have a THD Flexi rig that loves pedals, and I have a Les Paul, Anderson super strat, and a Tele, so I can put a pedal through about everything it's going to face in life. :) As long as it's not like 9 pedals at once, and as long as shipping isn't going to cost me a flying fortune, I'd totally be interested in helping out. Can record, can play at live volume.

Cool, albeit expensive and tricky idea.

Edit:

And just an idea:

It'd be awesome to post the reviews as they come in, but don't even include the number on the box with the review until it's all over... so people have no idea what to expect with each pedal. That way, those who aren't taking part can read up about it, and those taking part won't receive unnamed pedals, still with preconceived notions about what each pedal should sound like, or where it wants to go in a signal chain, etc.

16. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

This is a realy cool idea Donner.The outcome should be very intresting.

17. muddy

muddy Member

hmmm... for some reason i thought i'd posted, but i guess not. anyway, if the mtb is gonna be swingin' by cubba's place, you can have it stop here 1st, as we're close to each other, & he can come pick it up from me after i've finished.

ml

18. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

You should call this the "hypeless tourbox"

19. Don Rusk

Right, thats one of the points is no-hype feedback for the builders....

If I say 'Heres the new Fulltone compressor, review it' whether thru bias or malice your review is already skewed....

But if I say - 'Here plug this in and see what you can make it do' you may find something different in it.....and its a good learning excercise for those brave enough ~~~ ;)

Yes it will be 3 or less pedals per box... that may be too many fo some folks .....

But yeah the whole reason we have the pedals to check out is becasue it provides an informational service to the builders ....

There will be at least 4 boxes ( 2 here and 2 different ones at Toyz board ) ....

some of the pedals will be pulled or revealed sooner than others ~~ say if a proto gets fundamentally changed and the builder wants to pull it for the updated model,,,, its up to the builders when the identity of the pedal is revealed.....

One part of the review process will be 'Name the Pots', or what do you think each pot most effects..... is it gain /is it drive/is it distortion/is it worthless~~~~

Anyway again Im taking applicants thru Monday and will pick the first circle/ verify info
    I will probably do an East Coast / West Coast division so people are closer - less time with the postal service, less money for postage, quicker feedback etc.

Ha, yeah maybe there will be a 'Spot the Looney - pick out the Bad Monkey ringer' contest :D ;)

20. Franklin

Franklin Member

Wow! Awesome idea!!!!!!!

Count me in!

Sorry, Connecticut here..........