Mythical Overdrive vs Rocket Archer

otherone

Silver Supporting Member
Let me first say I have not tried a Klon so I'm not able to say which of these two pedals is closest to a Klon. Also at this moment I don't have video capability so I'm just gonna verbally compare the two pedals. I first went out and got the MO, with 1n34/0a126. I found this pedal to be awesome on all settings. Sweet, articulate, full, and blooming. I a/b'd it with the archer on every setting imaginable, going counterclockwise to clockwise on tone, gain and vol controls. The MO had a touch higher volume so I adjusted accordingly. On each setting I played, I did it twice with pedals reversed in order since they both have buffers and I did not have a true bypass ab box. In any case my conclusion is is that both pedals are nearly identical. I mainly tested MO in 1n34 setting to compare but in higher gain territory I also used the oa126 setting. I really could not tell much of a difference between the two pedals. There were moments when I felt the MO was a bit warmer and sweeter but then there were other moments where I felt the archer was a bit warmer and sweeter. I played both chords and lead lines. I'm only gonna keep one but it's a hard decision. I like the smaller size of the archer but I like the additional option on the MO of the different diodes. I really like the oa126 setting at the higher gain setting. I know I'll probably use the pedal with the gain set at 9 to 10 o'clock but I do like knowing I have the oa126 diode if I decide to go higher gain. Anyway these are first world choices. They are both truly excellent pedals at excellent prices. If I get a chance at doing a video I will do so. Hope this was helpful

otherone

Silver Supporting Member
Well I think I may be keeping both for two different boards. The archer may take the place of my pale green compressor which I use as a clean sweetening boost. That will be my next comparison, although I think the archer is an overall better boost. By the way I also a/b'd the MO with the yellow side of the KOT...very similar vibes. They're both great

otherone

Silver Supporting Member
I was realizing that a better way to compare the MO and Archer would be to power the Archer at 18V. The MO internally boosts the power to 18v for greater headroom. So to really compare I would need to power the Archer at 18v. I will do this and report back

Rockett

I was realizing that a better way to compare the MO and Archer would be to power the Archer at 18V. The MO internally boosts the power to 18v for greater headroom. So to really compare I would need to power the Archer at 18v. I will do this and report back
Please don't power the Archer with 18v. It does exactly what any Klon clone does and use a charge pump to achieve 18 v internally. You will probably blow the pedal

Rockett

otherone

Silver Supporting Member
Ok. Got it. I thought I read somewhere that the archer was meant to be used w 18 v. But I guess I am wrong. Great pedal. Great job!

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I have an Archer on my board and another MO incoming so I will get to try them side by side. I have had a couple of Klon Centaurs and a KTR as well as a MO which I did a/b with the KTR. I liked the MO better but I sold it a while back for some reason. I sold the MTR recently and picked up an Archer but there is something about it that is just not doing it for me so I ordered another MO. :)

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Archer and like it a lot. I have no desire to try another klone.
Ok, but that doesn't help as far as a comparison . ... 8-o. More interesting to hear from those who've actually played both... ;-)

OOG

I've played both and used to own a gold horsey Klon
I much prefer the Mythical to the Archer
It's the only clone I've played that really reminded me of the Klon

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
The Archer sound EXACTLY like a KTR to my ears - and I hated my KTR because it sounds NOTHING like my gold klon. Sold BOTH.

I kept my MO because it DOES sound like my gold klon.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
The Archer sound EXACTLY like a KTR to my ears - and I hated my KTR because it sounds NOTHING like my gold klon. Sold BOTH.

It's not a big surprise cause both KTR and Archer are SMD based devices.

I love my black & gold MO. It sounds awesome.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not the biggest Klone guy in the world, but I had the MO and the Archer at the same time. The one that's best would be subjective as well as use and rig dependent. However they sounded very different to me. Maybe that is rig dependent too?

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member

I haven't owned a Klon but have heard many in person and played a couple. IMO the MO and the PCE AF1 sound the most Klon-ish of the Klones I've heard (including Archer). The AF1 is out of the running as a recommendation due to well-discussed issues.

The MO is the keeper IME/IMO. :cool:

Billy Idle

My Archer (post) Kalamazoo (before Archer) combo is one of the best stacks ever !
And the Archer stacks well w/ my Scarab Deluxe.
A Keeper for my main board.
As a big fan of Stone Gossard, I love my Archer. It is a very good overdrive as well.
I've been impressed so far, especially w/ humbuckers.
Rockett hit a homerun, as often.

Trending Topics