• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mythical Overdrive vs Rocket Archer

MilwMark

Unless one of the many Kloners got the circuit wrong, or did their own twist intentionally, we all realize that the only differences are component tolerances, right? So comparing one unit of one brand of actual Klone to a unit of a different brand of actual Klone is unlikely to produce results that extrapolate to all units of either brand.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Unless one of the many Kloners got the circuit wrong, or did their own twist intentionally, we all realize that the only differences are component tolerances, right? So comparing one unit of one brand of actual Klone to a unit of a different brand of actual Klone is unlikely to produce results that extrapolate to all units of either brand.
That is / should be true as to "all units", though I've heard multiple examples of certain Klones that were closer sounding to what I heard with the real thing than other Klones. So IME there may be some repeatability for some units that gets closer to the actual Klons I've heard & played.

In the case of the MO, AF1, ARC Klone, and probably the Archer, we're talking differences that may be hard to discern without an A/B (ie they all sound good), it's a fairly narrow range of difference.

Yet in the A/Bs I've seen/heard, the Klon clearly stood out from, e.g., the Archer. Of course the Klons, too, will be subject to component drift & tolerances, too.

Your point is fair -- the ultimate decision/test is what each person hears for themselves, I think (though IMO it helps to have actually heard or played a real Klon to make the comparison if that (not just "it sounds really good"/close) is the aim). :cool:

MilwMark

Your point is fair -- the ultimate decision/test is what each person hears for themselves, I think (though IMO it helps to have actually heard or played a real Klon to make the comparison if that (not just "it sounds really good"/close) is the aim). :cool:
Sure. But even as to actual Klons, you read lots of people making distinctions between silver and gold, horsie and non-horsie, when Bill has said repeatedly it's the same circuit, save for one tiny audible change that doesn't correlate in time to any particular box color/graphic combo IIRC. Telling me there are sonic differences caused by component tolerances in Klons as well.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Sure. But even as to actual Klons, you read lots of people making distinctions between silver and gold, horsie and non-horsie, when Bill has said repeatedly it's the same circuit, save for one tiny audible change that doesn't correlate in time to any particular box color/graphic combo IIRC. Telling me there are sonic differences caused by component tolerances in Klons as well.
Agree, though within the range of the 6-7 Klons (not KTR) I have first hand experience with, there's an elemental sound that is very useful to know if comparing klones. Many sound good, some sound very close. Few nail it as to even the variations among diff. Klons (IME) - though we're again talking fine distinctions (albeit discernible by some). ;-)

Kennyscrown

Sorry to revive this thread, but I was doing a search to find info on comparing these two.

I have a silver Archer, and have seen a MO come up at a really good price. I have heard a lot of good things about the MO on here, and I'm considering swapping out my Archer for the MO.

However, what I'm hearing on this thread is that the difference will be minimum if any.

I also have a Timeline, and haven't experienced any of the digital noise often associated with charge-pumps when using the Archer. I suppose this could happen with the MO.

Thinking I should stick with the Archer...

Kylote

Sorry to revive this thread, but I was doing a search to find info on comparing these two.

I have a silver Archer, and have seen a MO come up at a really good price. I have heard a lot of good things about the MO on here, and I'm considering swapping out my Archer for the MO.

However, what I'm hearing on this thread is that the difference will be minimum if any.

I also have a Timeline, and haven't experienced any of the digital noise often associated with charge-pumps when using the Archer. I suppose this could happen with the MO.

Thinking I should stick with the Archer...
I love my MO but if you aren't getting noise with the Timeline I wouldn't tempt fate and switch pedals

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve owned eight Klones and they have all sounded noticeably different, particularly in their overall EQ voicing.

I didn’t expect that at all.

-bEn r.

DSL74

Bump on this topic for any updated opinions on the Archer vs the MO. Is one more prone to 'heterodyning' issues than the other?

Last edited:

ShomerShabbos

I’ve had a vintage spec MO for about a year and can’t imagine it leaving my board. Currently using it as my lead boost in front of a Suhr Badger 30. Highly recommended

BearBryan

The noise floor on the archer is higher than the BYOC Silver Pony II I built. Also, it is slightly ridiculous for a klone to not have 1n34a diodes (or any germanium diode). They aren’t hard to get. I have quite a few. I haven’t played a MO but just researching it sounds like the better option. I might replace my archer with a lil mo. I would use the BYOC but, you know, pedalboard space. I might actually just build my own in a 125B. That’s probably what I should have done in the first place.

More bumpage. Anyone know how high the noise floor is on the MO?
I find it to be totally acceptable. I'd even say it's on the quiet side compared to other dirt pedals I've owned. I also have a lil MO and that's a bit noisier than the standard version. Generally, when you try and stuff a Klon circuit into a small enclosure, the noise floor is going to go up compared to the larger units. Don't forget, the originals were huge.

The extra noise floor in the lil MO doesn't keep me from using it, and it's not enough to be an issue (it's on my main board). But when I AB it with my standard MO, I can hear a difference. I have an EH Soul Food as well, and that's the noisiest of the Klones I have.

DSL74

I find it to be totally acceptable. I'd even say it's on the quiet side compared to other dirt pedals I've owned. I also have a lil MO and that's a bit noisier than the standard version. Generally, when you try and stuff a Klon circuit into a small enclosure, the noise floor is going to go up compared to the larger units. Don't forget, the originals were huge.

The extra noise floor in the lil MO doesn't keep me from using it, and it's not enough to be an issue (it's on my main board). But when I AB it with my standard MO, I can hear a difference. I have an EH Soul Food as well, and that's the noisiest of the Klones I have.
Thanks. Seems like hardly any pedal makers list the noise floor on their spec sheets. Dunlop does if I recall and maybe Boss, but can't think of another one off the top.

MRscratch

i have both. both are good
they sound a little different.
i have the Ikon, and the VSMO
the IKON is a little hotter
the MO is a little more open
but once i crank em into a loud amp
you cant really tell which is which

Top Bottom