N(old)AD: Ampeg Reverberocket 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Dec 14, 2019.

1. zenas

zenas Member

Or is it just the paper label on the original can? Seen a few like that on Ampegs.

2. tastylicks

tastylicks Member

Beautiful amp, congrats! I'm a lover of those blue check Ampegs from the 60s and have three including a '64 Reverberocket in similarly pristine condition that I lucked into at an estate sale.

I see you're in NJ and while sadly we lost Dennis Kager not very long ago, his apprentice Adam has his own shop now in Shrewsbury (I think). If you want to ever bring it to someone who really knows his way around those vintage Ampegs (he worked under Kager for a bunch of years) I would recommend him. He and Dennis did great work on my three Ampegs. I haven't been to see him at the new shop, but here's his website. Not affiliated, not spamming, just my honest amp tech recommendation based on my experience with him. https://www.amprepairnj.com/

I would recommend getting either some NOS 7591 tubes in there, or try the new Tung Sol 7591s. I think the sound is significantly better than with the JJs, which I believe are different tubes in fundamental ways. All three of my Ampegs run 7591 and I've tried out a bunch of tubes. The old original tubes are very rugged and are still sounding great in one of my amps. As I understand it, these vintage Ampegs don't hit them with excessive voltage, so they tend to last long.

Enjoy!

fretless, Tommy Biggs and zenas like this.
  3. zenas

zenas Member

Another source for 7591s, if you've got a strong back, station wagon and a weak mind, is old free organs. You might end up dragging home some with worthless tubes like 6v6s, 6L6s maybe EL84s but often those can be used somewhere too.
    If you find a Hammond with 7591s there might be a Mullard GZ34 in it too. You'll want to keep that! Otherwise rectifiers are usually 5u4s that are still good.
    Bring a flashlight so you can look inside to make sure it's got tubes. Otherwise just an internet search might steer you wrong and you'll end up greedily dragging a Wurlitzer out a basement backdoor through a muddy yard up hill to your car. Then get home and find out its solid state.
    Don't ask me how I know. . . . . .

uberdave, fretless and wrxplayer like this.
  4. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

OP, I had the very same amp as a teen in the 1990's. Saved saved saved for it, and a few years later sold it to a pawn shop. I loved it, enjoy.

5. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have "in stock" a Weber Alnico 12A125A classic alnico, an Emi Legend, and the WGS. Didn't try all three but like the WGS so I'll likely leave it unless somebody's reading this and say "You just HAVE to try" one of the others.

candid_x likes this.
  6. wrxplayer

That's exactly what I was thinking when I took the amp home (only to find the new JJ's).

The guy I bought it from said he put about $200-$250 into in since he had it, including the three prong cord. I suspect he did this but I'll ask.

Funny you mentioned this. I had trouble finding a screwdriver that fit but fortunately have on Phillips head that worked. As I was scrambling to figure it out I tried Allen wrenches, which did not work. Odd little screws.

Fortunately the speaker was held in by bolts!

fretless and zenas like this.
  7. wrxplayer

According to a piece of paper that was in the cabinet, this was made in Linden, NJ, about 30 minutes from me.

It sounded nice w/ the Jensen but not nearly as loud as I suspected it would (or as I'd like it to be). The WGS sounds both better and louder. The seller had indicated the original Jensen was reconed at some point.

Tommy Biggs and Triocd like this.
  8. wrxplayer

Thanks. Never heard of him but he's only about 30 minutes from me, which is roughly the same is my regular tech, www.davessound.com. The amp's had a recent checkup but if something goes awry I will absolutely take it there.

9. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

10. zenas

zenas Member

Funny you mentioned this. I had trouble finding a screwdriver that fit but fortunately have on Phillips head that worked. As I was scrambling to figure it out I tried Allen wrenches, which did not work. Odd little screws.

Fortunately the speaker was held in by bolts!

Those clutch head screws are a real common question with old Ampegs.
    The other one is, "where can I find a footswitch?"
    Often the answer to that is, "inside the cab in the hanger bracket, or spring holder."
    Since they're hard wired they seldom really go missing, unlike old Fenders. . . . . .

fretless, Leonc and wrxplayer like this.
  11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Man, that thing is clean, clean, CLEAN!

Congrats. That model was my 2nd Ampeg (my first was a VT-40 which was stolen before I'd had it a year :( ); the RR 2 was what I replaced it with. Here's a photo from about '80 or so. '68 LP Custom, '69 Tele and the old RR 2.

[​IMG]

That amp originally came with a CTS alnico speaker, which I GREATLY preferred to the Jensen C12Rs that were common in many of Ampegs, Valcos, etc. FWIW, I've had good luck with 20W Celestion Greenbacks in those and similar amps, but I never replaced the CTS in mine; it was beat but had a really special sound.

I'd typically just dime the volume and have a blast. I never used it in live performance but it went onto a lot of recordings I was working on back then. It was a very unique sound, which I loved for specialty parts...parts on recordings where I wanted something to stand out and sound different.

I bought one again in the early 2000s...it wasn't nearly as cool as my earlier one. It had a C12R which I did NOT care for and generally, it had none of the gnarliness of my early RR 2.

I'd also point out that chances are, some of the signal caps are kaput by now and passing DC. All the caps (and possibly some of the resistors) are suspect at this point and should be checked out by a good tech with good ears.

Enjoy!

zenas and GA20T like this.
  12. socalscott

socalscott Member

Lively and Chimey speaker info for 60's Ampeg. My '62 RR needs this. Thanks

wrxplayer likes this.
  13. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Did you look around the property when you made the purchase? That dude has a time machine somewhere. Beautiful! Enjoy!

zenas and fretless like this.
  14. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Plug into the Accordion jack! Its the hotter input.

That's a beauty, and even has a cover. Looks amazing.

I had one I found cheap, and ran a Weber Silver Bell in it. At the time there were no 7591 replacements, so a 9 pin adapter could be used, with the 6GM5 power tube.

I'm not sure if the amp was biased slightly hot, but this amp roared. Great cleans and great overdrive when cranked. Strong mid push and never farted out like a Deluxe Reverb. We recorded many demos with it and it always sat in the mix perfectly.

When I sold it I had found some old 7591s. They really didn't have the aggression of those 6GM5s.

15. zachhahn

zachhahn Member

Man, that’s a score.
    When I got my 67’ Gemini II, it had EH 7591’s in it. I replaced them new Tung-Sol’s and like them.

Thought the stock Jensen C15PS was a tad bright, so I replaced it with a WGS G15A and love it.

WGS G12A should be great for your RR.

socalscott likes this.
  16. socalscott

socalscott Member

Thanks. BTW, what classic speaker is this related to?

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The WGS G12A and G15A are sort of hybrid Jensen style speakers. G12A has a ten ribbed seamed cone, like some of the mid-late 50's Jensen P12P and P12N speakers but has a 40 oz. magnet and 75 watt voice coil. The G15A has a 32? ribbed pulp cone; something not found on early alnico Jensen's, and also a 40 oz magnet and 75 watt voice coil.

socalscott and zachhahn like this.
  18. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

The clutch-head screwdrivers are available from a NAPA auto parts store,, they might have to order one,, they come in two sizes, I forgot which size the Ampegs use.
    I have both sizes, and they have NAPA part #s on them.
    Great old amps,, I have one of the cousins, a '66 Gemini,, it's a great amp.
    All those blue-checks are good, the wiring in them looks like a rats-nest, but they deliver the sound.

wrxplayer and fretless like this.