N(old)AD: Danelectro Nifty Fifty

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ruger9, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I stumbled across a couple of vids of this amp, and they surprised me how good the amp sounded... started looking up reviews, and these little solid state amps get raves. Just got one off eBay... and I am impressed....

Really nice clean tones, and some very good semi-dirty tones... I'm amazed at how good this thing sounds, being solid state, non-modeling, and made by Danelectro lol.

Sounds as good or better than my C600 (definitely better than the C600 for any kid of dirt), with more tonal shaping options. Really digging it (I may sell my modded C600)... with one exception:

The "Sweet/Dirty" control, which is just a gain/preamp control, gets REALLY dirty REALLY fast... like, I can't even use it above about 10:00-10:30 because it sounds like a fuzz box. AND it dumps a TON of high end into the signal. Up until that point tho, it sounds great.

Without getting too crazy with mods- because I've been down this road many times before- I'm looking to tame that a little.... here are my ideas, I'd love to get some input:

1) the gain pot is a B100K. Replace with an audio taper for a more gradual increase in the gain, at least in the first 2/3 of the rotation.

2) reduce the value of the pot to 50K or even 25K, in an effort to reduce the high end getting through

What do you think?

2. BigSB

BigSB Member

The Nifty Fifty, the Vox Pathfinder 15R and the Yamaha JX series are the sleepers of the solid-state amp game. The Vox is a bit better known because the brand gets wider distribution and the Dano and Yamaha amps are long out of production, but they are solid, toneful workhorse amps to be sure.

3. ModdersAnon

ModdersAnon Member

No info to give, just wanted to say I loved my Nifty Fifty. I was sad when it died. :( I couldn't find a schematic and paying for someone to fix it would've cost more than a replacement.
    Killer little amp though.

4. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

Man, you've got to be kidding. The nifty fifty was my first amp (the only reason I still have it).

I'm sure there's worse stuff in that price range, but I hate playing it. It sounds and more importantly feels terrible.

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Nope! Not at all. Been thru a lot of small tube amps, 3 different Champion 600s, a Valve Jr, an Excelsior, a heavily-modded PRRI (which was pretty damned cool)... and I think this little Dano sounds better than all of them, save the PRRI. Just don't use much of the gain circuit, because it's nasty.

I was actually all set to buy the new 10GX Cube, but then ran into this Dano online.... I'll no doubt still pick up a 10GX to compare.... but there's something I dig about old stuff, especially old stuff that's actually designed to look old- like an amp from the 50s. I was surprised how realistic (meaning tube-like) the clean and semi-clean tones of the little Dano were.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I would also include the Dano nifty 70;its a bass amp. It is awesome for guitar and great for playing mellow bass,(with acoustic guitars). Also the Yamaha GA-5 the one that looks like a Mesa Boogie.