N.R.P.D - Mesa Studio Pre

Leon Todd

This has been on my radar for a little while now and i was lucky to find one locally. It's more of a "set and forget" pre compared to other classic units but it does what it does so well.

I'll try do another video soon running it with some more outboard gear.

Marshall_SLX

@Leon Todd
Sensational clip as always mate... i would very much like to see a Vs clip with the Triaxis like you did with the mkiv... i have a mkiii blue stripe, Quad pre and have just got a Triaxis... it seems you started out as a big Triaxis fan but have since shifted towards the more traditional mk amps...is it the compression? And that sorta hifi feel that makes it less organic... i personally am really liking that aspect but there is something extra special about the mkiii lead ch...

How does the Studio stack up in terms of gain on tap compared to the Triaxis and the mkiv... ive always perceived the Studio as less aggressive... my Quad was less aggressive than my mkiii and triaxis until i had it modded...

You are right too mark amp prices seem to be on the up in Australia (im in qld)... i passed up the opportunity to get a mkiv combo at $1800 last year and regret it... since then ive seen 3 more all more expensive going from 2k up to 3k...

How would you rank mkiv lead ch, triaxis ld 2 yellow and studio lead ch as far as chunky tight rhythms go?

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
Spitting distance of a IIc+ _RG. No power section, obviously. The recording out loads the normal out a bit, so the Mike B [Boogie’s Mark series guru] advises you can get better unadulterated aggression by using the effects loop out instead, especially to plug directly into a power amp, though you lose the preamp master volume control.

djd100

Congrats Leon, nice!

I noticed it has some phat carbon comp resistors in what appears to be your five plate resistor spots, so they add some mojo as well as some noise. Also, at their age they've likely drifted in value somewhat which is one of the reasons a lot of vintage amps tend to have unique tones to some degree etc.

No worries regarding the above, i.e. if it sounds good it is good, though it might have a somewhat unique personality to a minor degree when compared to other vintage examples etc.

Enjoy (I love vintage tube guitar pre's and enjoy your vids on them)!

Stressfest

Yeah mate, I used to run one of those preamps before i got into my triaxis, strategy 500/triple recto rigs back in the day. Killer pre for that "one sound" or variations of. Ya did well xD

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
It’s a sweet preamp. Had one myself. Only moved it on last year when I got my rackmount Mark III. There are some mods available for this unit. Mine had the “deep” mod.

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
Does the C+ mod particularly reduce the cleans? I know the C++ is supposed to really sacrifice the cleans, but I thought it was marginal in the single +.

JimSoprano

I have a Studio Pre as well, but it doesn't have any clean headroom. Maybe it has been modded for C+ of C++. There's a sticker on the back of a repair company and the drive gain pot has been replaced... I'll contact them and ask.

Anyone whoch components need to be changed for these mods?

Last edited:

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
This will be tricky if yours is already modded, as the official Boogie schematics are known to have (intentional?) errors. I would suggest heading to the Grailtone Boogie forums, posting detailed gut shots of the boards and pots, and trying to glean accurate circuit info for the original and mod circuits to try to figure out what your baseline starting point is and where you might like to go.

Trending Topics