N-Track Studio, Anyone???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

for $49 at a svelt and lean 4 meg download??? aint too shabby of a deal, eh?

i remember hearing sooo much about it in college, yet never used it. anyone using it? too good to be true?

http://www.ntrack.com/what_is.shtm

2. Wing

Wing Member

I don't like it. The interface looks amateurish and unintuitive and it will not uninstall cleanly. It leaves a big bunch of filter dlls around and entries in the registry.

Krystal looks much cleaner but will only work with MME and not my Wamirack 192X ASIO drivers.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

It did the job. Note that Samplitude 6 studio is available at audiomidi.com for $99, I haven't used it, but have used a cheaper version called magix that worked well.

I now use cubasis VST, Acid 4 Pro, and Wavelab. I might upgrade my cubasis someday or move to Samplitude, but at this time, the software I have is fine.

4. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

Samplitude 6 for $99 is a GREAT BUY!! I've used and worked with almost every app out there, and Samp is by far my favourite. Plus with Samp, you don't need any other apps for editing, mastering and burning to CD. Also, once you get vs 6, you can upgrade to vs 7 and/or 8 for a reduced price.

5. tedm

Tim,
    Hows the learning curve for samp 6? and does it do 24/192 with ease?

I am using Cubasis VST, need to upgrade someday, but need an intuitive application.

What does 7 have that 6 doesn't?

6. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

N-Track is a great program for someone who has little or no experience with recording on a computer. The interface is easy to use and understand, and any problems can be sent to the program creator and responded to quickly. It is pretty limited, but it makes a logical step from a Portastudio for alot of people. It was one of the first programs I used several years ago with version 1. It allowed me to understand the basics of what was going on when I started working in studios that were using Pro Tools or Digital Performer or other software.

-mike

7. Tim Z

Tim Z Member

Personally, I found the basic learning curve of Samp to be really easy. But Samp is a VERY DEEP program and can take a long time to get familair with all of its features. Samp also has a different way of doing some things (i.e. object editing), but once you get used to them, you will realize how brilliant it is and never want to do without again. I was using Nuendo on a CD for a local band a couple of years back and got Samp 6.0 half way during the project. I found it way faster and easier to work with and ended up finishing the project on Samp. Also, MANY people feel that Samp sounds better than most other apps.

I'm sure that Samp does 24/192 fine, but I can't say for myself, as I only work with 32/44.1. I do know that Samp handles more file types than most other apps.

Well, it's been awhile since I moved from 6 to 7, but off the top of my head, version 7 has real time room simulator (best software verb IMHO), VSTi, freeze function, lower driver system latency, reduced CPU load, Power Dither, ASIO direct monitoring, more flexible use of effects, guitar amp simulation, direct integration of VST effects, vocoder, more FFT options (great EQ) and much much more :)

Version 8 will be out soon, and it promises many more improvments, especially in the midi areas. I don't use midi at all, but for those that do, it is suposed to be vastly improved. I believe Samp now has a midi guy from Logic on the team, as well as Sascha from the Digitalfishphones Fish Filets, Endorphin, Dominion fame.

T

8. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

I use n-Track. It works well but stick with the 3.3 version until he (Flavio, the inventor) works out the bugs.

Nick

9. laiben

laiben Member

It seems like the budget multitracking market is being eaten by
    Tracktion and EnergyXT.

I am a Tracktion user, I would say this thing is much much more
    easier to use than Cubase!

laiben

10. Pete2

Pete2 Member

I use N-Track. If you're just recording demos and ideas with it, it's got everything you need. It's very easy to learn how to use. I don't think I read any of the documentation, I just started using it. And this is without any previous experience with multitracker programs.

Pete

11. tedm

do the latest version of n-track, or any of the new inexpensive programs support 24/192 with asio drivers (emu asio specifically)?

12. nickdahl

nickdahl Member

n-Track claims it supports 24 bit - 192 kHz recording.

Nick

13. tedm

you buy an upgrade, otherwise all the free ones are 16-bit, this may still be a good deal, but i'm not sure it works with the emu asio drivers yet.

14. Slydemann

Slydemann Member

I'm one of those guys with very little experience recording on computers, so N-track is mostly fine with me. But I have a question:

Say you have a stereo recording from a different source such as a mini disc stored on the computer. You drop it into n-track. When it shows up you can see the two tracks, but they are loaded onto a single track in the n-track program. My question is, is there any way to seperate or split those tracks so that they can be worked with independently? The only thing I can think of doing is somehow isolating a single track at a time and loading it. If I use the balance control on the computer will it cut out one side on the transfer? Or is there a way to do it on n-track that I have not yet discovered?

Is this getting confusing? :confused: